2nd year breakouts

Hunter2_1

I like the answers for Montez Sweat. I'd follow up with an interesting pick for the Skins: Terry McLaurin. Yes, he had a good year last year, but it'll be a good time to see if it was somehow a fluke or not. A new, better offense could see more opportunities for him to shine - maybe take a step towards being one of the league's best.

Another good candidate (if i'm not missing an off-season arrest) is Jamel Dean, TB corner.

PFF's Highest-graded rookie cornerback in 2019, although he didn't play as much as others. He still led all rookies in pass breakups (10). Dean allowed a 72.0 passer rating into his coverage and only 48.9% of targets to be caught. He's a big SOB too and gets in the WRs faces.

What ya sayin' @bucsfan333

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I like the answers for Montez Sweat. I'd follow up with an interesting pick for the Skins: Terry McLaurin. Yes, he had a good year last year, but it'll be a good time to see if it was somehow a fluke or not. A new, better offense could see more opportunities for him to shine - maybe take a step towards being one of the league's best.

See, the way I see it, guys like him and AJ Brown and Josh Allen who all had great rookie seasons can't really break out because they already did.  Sweat is close, but 7 sacks ain't world beating.

It'll be interesting to see McLaurin, but if he has another big season, it'll be confirmation that he's a great player, not a breakout IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Wouldn't shock me if Drew Lock was an MVP canidate with those weapons and second year qb

A year or two early for that I think. The weapons are in house, but not yet up to speed. Like Lock himself, there will be growing pains. If he is a quality NFL starter this year he is doing well.

The guy in the division no one mentioned is Juan Thornhill. He may start slowly, because of the injury, but this guy really understands the position. 

J

26 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It'll be interesting to see McLaurin, but if he has another big season, it'll be confirmation that he's a great player, not a breakout IMO.

Okay, that's fair. I guess I was looking at it from him if he jumped from 919/7 to like 1400/10. It would make him a "household name" as a breakout. But your point makes sense.

32 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Okay, that's fair. I guess I was looking at it from him if he jumped from 919/7 to like 1400/10. It would make him a "household name" as a breakout. But your point makes sense.

I mean, it's semantics.  But I am a lawyer.  Arguing semantics is pretty much my identity.

For the Steelers it's going to be Diontae Johnson. I know @August4th mentioned him on the last page. He led all rookies in catches last year. He also had the two worst graded starting QBs throwing him the ball. I think I saw something about how close to the LOS he caught his passes and it was pretty bad. He basically never ran routes that were more than 5 yards down the field, and he still looked good. Those short passes won't fly with Big Ben. I think Johnson becomes a really good intermediate level receiver. I think the projections made earlier are pretty sound. 70 catches, 1000+ yards. That's not world beating, but the Steelers are pretty thick with weapons, so I think his chances of catching more than 70 are slim. 

Devin Bush would be my second pick, though I'm not really sure how much he'll improve. He put up pretty big numbers last year. I think he'll definitely get better at a lot of very important ways, but he's not going to have a statistical explosion. 

Taylor Rapp could break out for the Rams. Guy is going to be a playmaker at Safety. Almost had 3 picks in one game last year vs. Kyler and dropped 2. Took the 3rd to the house.

Darrel Henderson was primed for breakout until the drafted Akers and now I finally see him settling into that Kamara role with Akers at Ingram. 

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Another good candidate (if i'm not missing an off-season arrest) is Jamel Dean, TB corner.

PFF's Highest-graded rookie cornerback in 2019, although he didn't play as much as others. He still led all rookies in pass breakups (10). Dean allowed a 72.0 passer rating into his coverage and only 48.9% of targets to be caught. He's a big SOB too and gets in the WRs faces.

What ya sayin' @bucsfan333

Not going to lie...I wanted to say him but I was not trying to be a homer. I cant wait to see how he plays this year under a full season with Bowles

Homer pick: Steven Sims, slot WR.  Former UDFA.  Had a great end to the season last year and is working with WR guru David Robinson this offseason, who has worked with a lot of top WRs in the past (AB, Godwin, Emmanuel Sanders, etc.).  He seems to like Sims' chances as well:

Non-homer pick: David Montgomery, RB.  I think he has a big season if the Bears can get steady QB play from Foles.

For the Jets - Quinnen Williams

Was hurt for most of his rookie year with a bum ankle and didnt play as bad as fans made it out to be, it was just more disappointment because the expectations were so high because while at Alabama he was the best defensive player in CFB, so people expected Aaron Donald lite out the gate.  The dude is so young and talented, its only a matter of time until he becomes a dominant interior force.  And it looks like he is taking this offseason serious as you see the beginning of his body transformation 

Around the league I like Andy Isabella to really benefit the most from the Hopkins trade.  He is the fastest WR they got and with majority of the attention on Hopkins and Fitz, he is gonna have big play opportunities a bunch.  Showed his explosiveness in flashes last year in limited opportunities.

And Irv Smith Jr. should have a big season with an increased role.  Looked really good for the Vikings in his chances and even if Rudolph still gets the majority of RZ targets, I expect Smith takeover as the go to TE for Cousins.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Marquise Brown.

He was great last year playing on a bum foot with a screw in it. Now he's fully healthy and I think this will be his breakout year.

I didn't even know about the injury, that puts last season in even more perspective.  He was my non-homer pick for this, too, now I feel even more confident about that. 

• Like 1