2nd year breakouts

Hunter2_1

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

Pass rushers and DLs are generally good bets here.  Simmons being already mentioned, I'll go with Quinnen Williams and Christian Wilkins, just based on their talent.

I like Wilkins' chances too but didn't want to jinx him since he plays for my fave team. Hoping the big-body UDFA from Ole Miss will be a nice addition in the middle that frees up Wilkins to make more plays (assuming Benito Jones makes the squad). 

The obvious choice for the Raiders is Clelin Ferrell. He was the 4th overall pick last year and though he started off very poor he was dealing with injuries and an illness, plus being played out of position asking to rush from the 3 technique spot a lot early in the year. The final 5ish games he really turned it on and became more of the impact player we expected. With a couple of truly high end games. I think we see far more of that this year. 

I also think Jonathan Abram was mentioned and agree. He only played one game but in that game his presence was felt. He will have some coverage mishaps especially playing with a secondary full of young players, but I expect him to make a ton of splash plays. 

My true homer Breakout though is Trayvon Mullen. He was phenomenal for a rookie corner. He didn't start until week 5 or 6, but he hit the ground running. Almost everyone in our backfield got picked on, but Mullen was the exception. He provided sticky coverage, good awareness, and was very physical. A little grabby at times, but I think year 2 is one where he plays like a top 10-15 corner in the league. 

For my non Raiders I'm very excited to see Hollywood Brown and Jeffrey Simmons like others have mentioned. 

Montez Sweat and Brian Burns will both have years that put them in the conversation for top end young pass rushers in all the NFL. 

And I think Hockenson takes a big step for Detroit. Then again I thought Ebron was going to almost every year he was there. TJ just seems like the next guy that vaults himself into the tier just below Kelcie and Kittle as dominant tight ends that have a huge impact on productive offenses. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Jeffery Simmons for sure, he looks like a potential game wrecker if he can just bring a little more discipline.

Mine would be;

Montez Sweat (Was) - very promising rookie year and playing on what promises to be a very, very good DL with Payne and Young taking attention and the change to 4-3 should be just perfect for him.

Jonathan Abram (LV) - played only one game last year and is now on a much revamped defence with better talent in front if him, if we can use him to his strengths he can energise the secondary and be a tone setter. Questions about his coverage skills will have to be answered though.

We got one heck of a steal when Sweat dropped for a medical issue that was proven to be a false report.  My only concern without defensive line is that we don't have a natural fit for LDE.  Allen or Ioannidis might get put there out of necessity, or we might ask Sweat to bulk up to play there.  

My non-homer pick is Hollywood Brown.  He had a very good first year, and I think they will open up the passing a bit more with the offense and Brown stands to gain the most.  He also has a great rapport with Jackson.  It didn't take long for De Costa to break the WR curse that Newsome had in the draft.  

For the Browns, Greedy Williams could be poised for a good year. He was solid overall as a rookie, but definitely had his fair share of rookie mistakes. He was dealing with injuries last year and was also playing in a scheme that emphasized a lot of zone coverage, despite him and Ward being much better fits in man coverage. Assuming Joe Woods utilizes Greedy properly, he could have a really nice season.

Mack Wilson is another Browns player who could definitely improve this season. He showed flashes as a rookie but definitely has his flaws. The Browns desperately need him and/or Takitaki to step up because our LB play could be ugly this season if they don't.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

We got one heck of a steal when Sweat dropped for a medical issue that was proven to be a false report.  My only concern without defensive line is that we don't have a natural fit for LDE.  Allen or Ioannidis might get put there out of necessity, or we might ask Sweat to bulk up to play there.  

My non-homer pick is Hollywood Brown.  He had a very good first year, and I think they will open up the passing a bit more with the offense and Brown stands to gain the most.  He also has a great rapport with Jackson.  It didn't take long for De Costa to break the WR curse that Newsome had in the draft.  

Yep, really liked Sweat and I would have preferred him to Ferrell even at #4. Ionnidis is a very underrated player, without knowing too much wouldn't Young and Sweat be the ends with Payne and Ionnidis/Allen rotating inside? Is Kerrigan still a viable option too, another very underrated player IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yep, really liked Sweat and I would have preferred him to Ferrell even at #4. Ionnidis is a very underrated player, without knowing too much wouldn't Young and Sweat be the ends with Payne and Ionnidis/Allen rotating inside? Is Kerrigan still a viable option too, another very underrated player IMO.

I think that is how things end up.  I could easily see them wanting Kerrigan and Young splitting time to start, with the eventual move to trading Kerrigan mid-season, and maybe use Allen on the outside in rushing downs, with Sweat taking over on passing downs.  It's an embarrassment of riches to be sure, but Rivera builds from the trenches up the middle, and then out so this is in line with what he wants to do.  

• Like 1

BTW, I don't know if this counts since he already had a pretty good year as a rookie, but I'm hoping Deebo Samuel blows up in his second season. Depends how Kyle is going to use him, but he should get more opportunities now that Sanders is out of the picture. I remember seeing an interview with Samuel before the Super Bowl, and he told someone that he was afraid he would never see the field due to the amount of content he had to understand/remember in Shanahan's offense. He got a boatload experience for a first year player, so that's great. 

Preston Williams, WR, Miami Dolphins

Was having a great year last year until injury, but man if he can continue to progress, Devante Parker turns out not to be a fluke last year, Albert Wilson can stay healthy in the slot, and Gesicki can step it up, hell we might have an elite receiving core. 

• Like 1