AFC South Discussion Thread

titans0021

I just don't think they solved anything. I'm just feeling anytime your QB throws for less than 100 yards you don't have the right guy. 

But then pay him like that and give him a deal, i just don't know about that. I think they could have got Glennon to do what they ask of him. Maybe even Geno Smith. Alot cheaper. 

I guess they take into account the team dynamic. 

Well they have a great defense but I dont fear that team. 

2 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

Jags are banking on that D to continue to stay healthy and duplicate what they just did.

thaaaaaaats asking a lot

Yeah, putting a ton of pressure on that D. My greatest hope is that they burn their last two years of easy cap control on Bortles and then are stuck with a good defense, no quarterback, mid to late firsts and no money to sign a real quarterback because they've had to hand out big contracts to guys like Ramsey and Jack with other big names like Fournette also coming up for an extension. 

• Like 2

The Jags are essentially banking on a few things to happen in 2018:

1. their defense to duplicate their amazing level of play from this past year

2. Bortles to make SOME SORT of step forward to be a guy who can win them a game if their D struggles and Fournette gets shut down

I just don't see it happening. Their D was so, so, so good this year. Like 2015 SB winning Broncos good. I know everyone is coming back, but that level is so hard to duplicate, especially given everyone stayed healthy this past year. I think the Jags window right now is 2-3 years. A move for Cousins would have scared me. They're going to be the same team they were this past year (plus Robinson, but again...Bortles cannot throw the ball) and we beat them twice.

We're going to continue to get better ... I'm confident in that. Jags, as of now, are more or less staying the same because their one massive and glaring weakness -- their QB -- is coming back.

• Like 2

Looking at this Bortles deal... to me it really just screams that they don't think they'll be able to work anything long term for Robinson, and needed cap space this year. 

They essentially turned a $19M one year contract into a $20-25M one year contract.  They can get out of it after year 1... as the 6.5M in guaranteed year 2 money contains offset language (salary and prorated bonus money).  

They lowered their cap hit by $9M this year (from $19M to $10M), but would be on the hook for $10M in dead money next year, even without having to account for any of the additional "guaranteed" money.  Even if they designate it a post June 1st cut... they'd carry $5M in dead money next year and an additional $5M in 2020.... just pushing that money further.  If they cut him, he could sign a vet min contract... 1 year $750k.... knowing that the Jags have to make up and pay him the difference... he'll still earn 6.5M next year... with the Jags (not his new team) taking on that additional $5.75M on their cap.  

If he does play well, good for them... but it won't be a 2 year 36M... they'll be looking at incentives... up to $12M total, or $4M/year, depending on the incentives (snaps? yards? wins?). 

It wasn't quite the $20M+ contract I predicted... but it still plays very nicely to our long term plans.  And if he regresses, it dampens their short term plans as well.  

• Like 1

Call me just a Titans fan, but I think the Jags take a step back. I think it will be hard to repeat the defensive performance they had last year. I don't think you can depend on a career year from Campbell again. I think they can rely on Ramsey and Bouye to play like they did. However, I just don't see the defense as a whole playing like they did last year. They will still be tough and pretty dang good.

Depending on what they add on offense and who the lose, I think the Jags will be about 9-7. Maybe 10-6 with a consistently average Bortles.  I just don't see them being an elite team with Bortles at QB. Too many things you gotta try to hide and cover with him.

37 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Call me just a Titans fan, but I think the Jags take a step back. I think it will be hard to repeat the defensive performance they had last year. I don't think you can depend on a career year from Campbell again. I think they can rely on Ramsey and Bouye to play like they did. However, I just don't see the defense as a whole playing like they did last year. They will still be tough and pretty dang good.

Depending on what they add on offense and who the lose, I think the Jags will be about 9-7. Maybe 10-6 with a consistently average Bortles.  I just don't see them being an elite team with Bortles at QB. Too many things you gotta try to hide and cover with him.

That's one thing that's really confused me about this offseason... so many people expecting the Titans to take a step back and the Jags to take step forward.  One of the main things when looking at at expectations is the likelihood of progressions and regressions.  

For the Jags, who can we possibly expect to progress?  Robinson obviously, since he essentially missed a full season.  Fournette possibly... he's young and should improve, but he's also taken a beating the past 3 seasons.  On D... who can they expect to make a jump?  Ramsey maybe... Jack maybe... but most of their players played at or above their career norms.  And more importantly, they suffered no serious injuries on that side of the ball.  They are a candidate for significant regression on that side of the ball, although they'll still likely be good.  Ultimately, because they're hamstrung on offense by Bortles, that side of the ball won't be able to offset the regression that should take place on that side of the ball.  If they draft a QB in the first round like many are suggesting they may, it's a significant resourse tied up to a player that won't help them this year.

The Titans on the other hand lucked into the playoffs in spite of some serious issues.  Mariota took a big step back statistically, and he's a natural choice for significant improvement this year... especially when accounting for the presumed upgrade at OC.  The run game also took a step back, and wasn't very effective last year... and I saw somewhere we had the worst rated WRs in the NFL last year, but we should realistically expect our #5 pick to improve from year 1 to year 2... and we saw glimpses of that the last few weeks (including the playoffs).   The change in blocking scheme may hinder the run game to start the season, but as the passing game undoubtedly improves, the run game should get going.  

On D, only Byard played above his career norm.  He could continue improving, but see his impact plays regress on the stat sheet.  Woodyard was really good as well, but wore down as the season went on.  We didn't have a single player with even 8 sacks.  Casey was good... but that's Casey.  While progression is not guaranteed here, I see a good opportunity to progress with only a slight chance to regress.  

Myabe it's the homer shades I'm wearing, but I think we're in a position to leap frog the Jags this season.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Just saw this... but it's pretty spot on with what we're talking about... 

Word for word...

I only differ with, not caring about the money. I'm ripping them for the commitment they are showing to him. Also he "isn't a placeholder." meaning this is my guy for real, uncontested?  

Sheeesh.

So the word is that the Jags won't franchise tag Allen Robinson and will allow him to test free agency.

You would have thought after extending Bortles they would have wanted to keep one of their best offensive weapon(even with the injury), but I guess not.