AFC South Discussion Thread

titans0021

As a Red Raider alum... it wasn't long ago that I was loudly cheering for Mahomes on Saturdays.  I'll probably be cheering even louder for him this Sunday. 

I don't want him just to win... I want him to murder the Jags... absolutely crush them...  37-16 would be just fine!!!

3 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

As a Red Raider alum... it wasn't long ago that I was loudly cheering for Mahomes on Saturdays.  I'll probably be cheering even louder for him this Sunday. 

I don't want him just to win... I want him to murder the Jags... absolutely crush them...  37-16 would be just fine!!!

I think he has a very bad game this week. Last night was the first time I watched him, and it seemed like he was very quick to leave the pocket, never stepping up into it to make a throw. Against that Jacksonville DL I don't think he is allowed to escape to make a lot of those throws that he did last night. 

I thought it was a very poor job on Denver's coaching staff/DL to not adjust and force him to stay in the pocket. They continually lost contain and were always playing man.

But yeah, I hope he absolutely destroys JAX, but what I think happens is that they smother him and we just have to listen to how good they are again. KC can't play defense at all so Bortles probably gets MVP talk after this game lol.

21 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I think he has a very bad game this week. Last night was the first time I watched him, and it seemed like he was very quick to leave the pocket, never stepping up into it to make a throw. Against that Jacksonville DL I don't think he is allowed to escape to make a lot of those throws that he did last night. 

I thought it was a very poor job on Denver's coaching staff/DL to not adjust and force him to stay in the pocket. They continually lost contain and were always playing man.

But yeah, I hope he absolutely destroys JAX, but what I think happens is that they smother him and we just have to listen to how good they are again. KC can't play defense at all so Bortles probably gets MVP talk after this game lol.

I actually think he is going to be very effective against Jacksonville. Because he’s so young and inexperienced I think his biggest weakness is probably pre-snap reads but Jacksonville doesn’t really mix it up that much. They play pretty straight up. We’ve also seen first hand how susceptible they are to mobile quarterbacks with Marcus and his ability to escape the pocket and Mahomes will present them some of the same problems. He also has a much better arm so he’ll be able to make some throws many of the other quarterbacks Jacksonville’s faced couldn’t make to go along with much better weapons. We’ll see if he has the clutch factor like Marcus though.

• 2 weeks later...

Man... I was thinking how crappy it was going to the for the Titans to have to travel once a year to London to play an away game there... 

But how bad is it going to be for the Jags to have to fly to London to play 4  home games, playing 4 home games in Jax to a potentially pissed off fan base... And still have the full slate of away games. 

The whole tax situation is hard enough for players normally, as they have to pay taxes in any state they play in. I don't know if the NFL filed for and obtained excemptions for players playing 1 game in London (their top marginal tax rate is much higher there than here)... But even if that's the case, I doubt they'd get that excemption for 4 games (for a player making 20m, that's 5M in wages that'd have the significantly higher tax rate). And being a US cititizen, there may be liabilities here as well. Either way, it's gonna cost an additional penny in terms of financial planning and accountants or whatever these guys use. 

Will the Jags be able to lure any significant FAs with the constant traveling, the more complex and increased tax liabilities, a possibly marginalized fan base, etc? 

Man I hope this move happens sooner to later... xD

Edited by ragevsuall17
  • Like 2

Charles and Hyde are both bad, so I dunno why they deserve any praise for bringing them in. We've brought in/brought up bad WRs too, doesn't do anything for the team. Just as Hyde will do nothing for them, just as Charles did nothing for them.

Jamaal Charles wasn't sitting at home a month and a half in to the season because he's a good player, and the Browns aren't parting with Hyde for a largely meaningless 5th round pick because he's a good player. He's probably the worst RB on their(Browns) roster, at least among the top 3.

Be the equivalent of us trying to trade for Justin Hardy. Not gonna do anything for the team.

25 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Trading for Hyde is not the same as signing complete bums who don’t belong on active rosters like Williams, Batson, etc.  

Hyde is averaging 3.4 ypc on a team where the other two backs are averaging 5.8 and 10.8.

The guy sucks. He always has outside of maybe like one year in San Fran.

Is he a better running back than Williams and Batson are receivers? Sure.

Does that make him good? Nope, not even close to it. Would be no different than us trading for some irrelevant WR which would just piss everyone on this forum off. But just because people know who Carlos Hyde is, the Jags are "making a move to improve their team". When Fournette and Yeldon are back healthy the dude's liable to be cut. 3rd RB on the team at best.