AFC South Discussion Thread

titans0021

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Cool.

I know from my own personal viewpoint. I'm only worried about the Colts.  Texans to me aren't a top end team. Watson to me isn't improving. He started off great and is now good and their defense is getting older and I don't trust O'Brien to keep it together well. lol

So to me, it's one team in the division that concerns me and that's the Colts. They have a good GM, a seemingly competent head coach and an All-Pro QB. That's a recipe for division domination. 

Texans definitely have some questions, and although Watson is/was overrated (got heralded as a top 5 guy prior to the season), I'd say it's fair to guess he'll be in that top 8-10 range. That alone gets you to a solid record unless there is a lot of things going wrong behind the scenes usually. We'll see how fast Watt declines (if at all) and their team drafts defensively/who they bring in FA.

Edited by .Buzz

I never was a fan of bickering and that's all this has become. A Jags fan doesn't think we're good? Cool. They're not supposed to.

The Texans are good, but they don't scare me. We beat them with Blaine Gabbert. They're better than we are right now, but they're not scary. The Colts are different.

The Colts have an absurd amount of cap space. Like literally a wtf amount. If they go out and buy Leveon Bell and DeMarcus Lawrence they still have over 80 mil in cap space left without their QB being on a rookie contract. Insane.

Then imagine they draft a Nkeal Harry, who I think would thrive with a guy like Luck, and you're talking about one of the best teams on paper for years to come. They would still have holes on defense, but a big time pass rusher can hide a lot of holes.

But an offense of Luck, Bell, Hilton, Harry, Ebron, Doyle, and that young OL. Holy ****.

• Like 1

There's no denying Watson has been better than Mariota this year, but the Texans have one if the best rushing offenses in the NFL. Let's not forget what people were saying about Mariota his second year in the NFL with a top 5 rushing offense (and Dak his rookie year).

I've seen Watson make some throws that let you know he will never be a bust, but let's see him go a season with no running game and see where we crown him. Can he put the team on his back like an Andrew Luck? Or if he has no running game does he look more like a Mariota without a running game?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I'm not just talking this year, we just talked about the next 3 seasons. One of the teams (Colts) just got out a rebuild and Luck came back from a serious injury. They are now finding their stride and have won 6 of their last 7 games. 

That's fair though, crazier things have happened. I just feel like to be a competitor for 10+ wins consistently you need high end QB play. Maybe Mariota will find some consistency and get there, but we know what Luck and Watson are (I mean one of them you guys just said are thankful for us passing on, and the other one is better). 

Right, but how do you project in to the future? You observe the past in to the present. That’s how we all do everything in life.

The recent past in to the present has shown that we are a .500+ team that has been contending for the division going on 3 years. With a rookie HC and rookie OC taking their lumps while still keeping us above water, and Marcus having some continuity I see no reason for that not to continue. There’s no reason to believe that we’re not on the come up as well.

24 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Right, but how do you project in to the future? You observe the past in to the present. That’s how we all do everything in life.

The recent past in to the present has shown that we are a .500+ team that has been contending for the division going on 3 years. With a rookie HC and rookie OC taking their lumps while still keeping us above water, and Marcus having some continuity I see no reason for that not to continue. There’s no reason to believe that we’re not on the come up as well.

My thing is Mariota has been in the league long enough to know what he is. Maybe he will improve, which is possible, but that's just not what I'd personally expect at this point.

I mean, after last year, some Jaguars fans (including myself), bought into Blake Bortles finally looking like an average'ish QB after years of being awful and the FO did as well. We are now set back and lost out on a SB window because of it.

There are some guys that just take a little longer though, maybe Mariota is that guy. 

Not even saying he's bad, he's just inconsistent and hasn't shown he can take the team places yet. So can't really chalk him in to doing that...at least yet.

That is the only reason why I think the Texans are ahead of you. The Colts for obvious reasons that pretty much everyone sees as @TitanSS said. 

Edited by .Buzz

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

My thing is Mariota has been in the league long enough to know what he is. Maybe he will improve, which is possible, but that's just not what I'd personally expect at this point.

I mean, after last year, some Jaguars fans (including myself), bought into Blake Bortles finally looking like an average'ish QB after years of being awful and the FO did as well. We are now set back and lost out on a SB window because of it.

There are some guys that just take a little longer though, maybe Mariota is that guy. 

That is the only reason why I think th Texans are ahead of you. The Colts for obvious reasons that pretty much everyone sees as @TitanSS said. 

We may already know what Marcus is, but even if who he is now is who he will be his whole career, it’s still proven that that’s at the very least good enough to make us playoff/division contenders. I believe if he has continuity in a real scheme along with a couple more pieces on offense he can step his game up another level. If not, he’s an average guy that can hurt you with his legs that likely beats you if the ball is in his hands with the game on the line. 

And oh no no no, I specifically remember you calling Blake a, “damn good QB” not “average’ish” haha I can’t let that one be swiped under the rug ;)

17 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

We may already know what Marcus is, but even if who he is now is who he will be his whole career, it’s still proven that that’s at the very least good enough to make us playoff/division contenders. I believe if he has continuity in a real scheme along with a couple more pieces on offense he can step his game up another level. If not, he’s an average guy that can hurt you with his legs that likely beats you if the ball is in his hands with the game on the line. 

And oh no no no, I specifically remember you calling Blake a, “damn good QB” not “average’ish” haha I can’t let that one be swiped under the rug ;)

Can you please link me?

I've listed Blake as a top 18-22 QB at multiple points, which I believe he was last year, and said he was "damn good" at times last year and even a game or two this year. But that is it, and I believe to that be true just as he's now awful and about to be cut this off-season.

Either way, I'm always taking the team with the superior QB unless you have an all world defense to hide the limitations of the QB, as the Jaguars did last year and as we see the Bears doing with Trubisky, who although has been solid/good at times, clearly has his drawbacks as well.

Edited by .Buzz

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Can you please link me?

I've listed Blake as a top 16-20 QB at multiple points, which I believe he was last year, and said he was "damn good" at times last year and even a game or two this year. But that is it, and I believe to that be true just as he's now awful and about to be cut this off-season.

Either way, I'm always taking the team with the superior QB unless you have an all world defense to hide the limitations of the QB, as the Jaguars did last year. 

I’ll find it and quote it later when I’m on my computer. Pretty sure it was in the AFCS Discussion thread in the Jags sub forum, but either way, last year was a flash in the pan and his true colors came to light which all of us knew it would.

Living right next to UCF and going to the high school that Oviedo is rivals with, I never thought he was ever going to be anything special in the pro’s when I watched him first hand. I was pleased when you guys drafted him 3rd overall. 

3 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I’ll find it and quote it later when I’m on my computer. Pretty sure it was in the AFCS Discussion thread in the Jags sub forum, but either way, last year was a flash in the pan and his true colors came to light which all of us knew it would.

Living right next to UCF and going to the high school that Oviedo is rivals with, I never thought he was ever going to be anything special in the pro’s when I watched him first hand. I was pleased when you guys drafted him 3rd overall. 

His colors definitely showed. But last year, he was a solid QB who played well and turnover free in the playoffs. What he did was definitely worthy of being ranked in the echelon that I listed him. That's kind of case in point though. He's been around a while, was largely awful, and road some good streaks of play while not having much pressure due to the defense most games and had a solid season. But that far into his career, we should have saw the risk with him the following year. 3 of 4 years of him being bad/awful should have shown that there was risk to him falling back. QBs at that point usually are what they are.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

His colors definitely showed. But last year, he was a solid QB who played well and turnover free in the playoffs. What he did was definitely worthy of being ranked in the echelon that I listed him. That's kind of case in point though. He's been around a while, was largely awful, and road some good streaks of play while not having much pressure due to the defense most games and had a solid season. But that far into his career, we should have saw the risk with him the following year. 3 of 4 years of him being bad/awful should have shown that there was risk to him falling back. QBs at that point usually are what they are.

Fair enough I can agree with you here

• Like 1