AFC South Discussion Thread

titans0021

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

EverBank is a college football stadium. It was built to be the (at the time) largest stadium in the NFL because it plays host to one of the bigger rivalry games in college football, as well as a bowl game. The Titans aren’t held to the standard that they need to compete with Neyland Stadium’s attendance, so it’s pretty unfair to hold the Jaguars to that standard. But because of the odd situation where the Gator Bowl was rebuilt for the Jaguars and still used for the Gator Bowl, we get this dumb narrative.

So Duval County and the City of Jacksonville built a multi million dollar stadium for 2 college football games a year? Khan put in the swimming pool and other amenities to entice NFL fans to come to Jaguar games not for the Georgia/Florida game. I believe the prestige of hosting a Super Bowl played a part in the stadium size being 80,000 as well. The stadium size is the reason Nashville will never host a Super Bowl along with the hotel space issue. As I recall Jacksonville had to dock cruise ships to meet the hotel room mandate.  

1 hour ago, Mesa_Titan said:

The fact that you guys care enough to run to another part of the forum to defend yourselves about it is what makes me laugh.

Another part of the forum? I read all division teams forums quite often to keep up on news. Not like I just sought out a post talking about the Jaguars for the hell of it.

Ipwn follows me and vice cersa, he gets a notificatiom everytime I post. 

41 minutes ago, lamont said:

So Duval County and the City of Jacksonville built a multi million dollar stadium for 2 college football games a year? 

The Gator Bowl was in the exact same spot as EverBank since 1942. EverBank (then Alltel Stadium) was built using many of the remnants of the Gator Bowl. The city of Jacksonville required that any update to the stadium or rebuild not reduce the attendance capabilities for college football games, as at the time (1993), the games were the single largest revenue generator in the city. So no, they didn’t build that stadium for college football, they just required that if the Gator Bowl was to be demolished, that it would be replaced with an even capacity stadium.

52 minutes ago, lamont said:

Khan put in the swimming pool and other amenities to entice NFL fans to come to Jaguar games not for the Georgia/Florida game.

Well yeah. 20 years after the stadium was built. By someone who had no hand in building the stadium originally. And the pools and cabana area actually gets removed for college football games. Kinda weird that the biggest attraction in a stadium gets removed for college football games though, right? That’s because the pools and cabana area reduce seating area by about 12,000 and just as they did when the stadium was built, the city refused to green light a renovation that reduced attendance figures for those CFB games.

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Ipwn follows me and vice cersa, he gets a notificatiom everytime I post. 

...I just checked the forum a while back because I’m a global and am supposed to make sure forums are running well. Clarified a post, and now this thread is in my ego search.

13 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

We're talking about fan attendance when our team basically plays away games in Nissan Stadium? 

I vote we all band together, Jags and Titans and the three Colt fans and make fun of Houston for Tom Savage and their fans' thinking of Watson as a savior.

@EliteTexan80's feelings be damned.

Agreed. If we weren't getting overrun by opposing fans for most of the last decade, we'd be right there with Jacksonville in terms of attendance tbh.

I'm encouraged by just how bad the Jags offensive line has looked against the Panthers after our pass protection was stellar against their starters last week.

On a relate note, it's incredible just how much the Jags have invested in the skill positions to only have such a terrible offensive line that frequently doesn't even give the QB/RB a chance to make a play.

I feel like the Jaguars almost have to be intentionally sabotaging Bortles at this point. And that basically started last offseason. Since you've already been in here, let me know if I'm reading this wrong @iPwn.

I mean seriously, what could possibly have been the point of turning this into a QB controversy and giving Henne the first half of the most important preseason game if you still thought there was a chance Bortles would be your starter Week 1? You're taking a youngish quarterback who has had more than his share of struggles and who likely was already having issues with his confidence and now telling him that you think there's a real chance that a bad QB in his 30s gives the team a better chance at success. And after one half of football, you're now back and ready to proclaim that you think Bortles is good enough. 

I'm just baffled by the entire thought process. I'm extraordinarily baffled by the fact that they did nothing to try to address QB over the offseason. And I'm completely baffled by the point of naming Henne starter for a week and then immediately backing off of it.

They're probably better off starting Bortles regardless though. Either he shocks the world and shows something or he's a key piece to the tank.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

I feel like the Jaguars almost have to be intentionally sabotaging Bortles at this point. And that basically started last offseason. Since you've already been in here, let me know if I'm reading this wrong @iPwn.

I mean seriously, what could possibly have been the point of turning this into a QB controversy and giving Henne the first half of the most important preseason game if you still thought there was a chance Bortles would be your starter Week 1? You're taking a youngish quarterback who has had more than his share of struggles and who likely was already having issues with his confidence and now telling him that you think there's a real chance that a bad QB in his 30s gives the team a better chance at success. And after one half of football, you're now back and ready to proclaim that you think Bortles is good enough. 

I'm just baffled by the entire thought process. I'm extraordinarily baffled by the fact that they did nothing to try to address QB over the offseason. And I'm completely baffled by the point of naming Henne starter for a week and then immediately backing off of it.

They're probably better off starting Bortles regardless though. Either he shocks the world and shows something or he's a key piece to the tank.

This whole team is a dumpster fire.

The way they’ve handled this whole thing has been beyond ridiculous.

I’ve touched on it a bunch, but this team seemingly has no idea what they’re doing at all. Bortles is a gunslinger. Whether you dislike him or like his potential, everyone understands that. He’s a guy that’s going to make big plays, and also make mistakes. He’s going to take chances with the ball. And he also makes mistakes with the ball. But this staff has basically told him he’s not allowed to play like that and if he does, he’s gone. So instead, you get a player that’s afraid to take chances, but is still making the mistakes he does. You take away all the big plays and leave half the bad ones.

I don’t think his confidence is shot. I think he’s a player that is being asked to play a way he doesn’t, and is pressing too much to try to fit into this typecast they want him in.

This QB competition was a dog and pony show. All the reports of Bortles failing this summer left them having to do something, but they’re too chicken **** to actually make a move now after wasting the entire offseason trying to square peg, round hole Bortles. So they created this QB situation to put some pressure on him and take the pressure off of them for not doing anything. So they let Henne go out there and see exactly why they can’t trot Henne out there. He’s captain checkdown and can’t handle the pressure that our turnstile OL allows.

So here we are. Setting the team up to fail because they’re too stubborn to let a player play his style of football, while simultaneously being too stubborn to bring in someone who does fit that style.

But I’m disillusioned with this whole team and pretty jaded, just waiting for next year and hoping everything gets blown up, so take my opinion in that note. 

9 minutes ago, iPwn said:

So they created this QB situation to put some pressure on him and take the pressure off of them for not doing anything. So they let Henne go out there and see exactly why they can’t trot Henne out there. He’s captain checkdown and can’t handle the pressure that our turnstile OL allows.

This kind of explains it I suppose. Though in a really, really sad sort of way. As a fan of a team that has had more than its share of dysfunctional teams, I almost feel bad. If it wasn't for breaking Mariota's leg and eliminating us from the playoffs in Week 16, I might actually feel bad.

24 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Every division opponent has OL and QB issues. Our front 7 should feast within the division.

The AFC South is there for the taking. At this point, it'd be a major failure if we don't take it. 

Yep although this team is sure to disappoint against an inferior opponent at some point especially in the division.