AFC South Discussion Thread

titans0021

13 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

The O-Line isn’t terrible at all. 

Slightly below average is definitely what I’d characterize it as.

Doesn’t come close to that Cincy OL last year and I’d say it’s definitely better than what LAC put in front of Herbert as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Slightly below average is definitely what I’d characterize it as.

Doesn’t come close to that Cincy OL last year and I’d say it’s definitely better than what LAC put in front of Herbert as well.

Yeah, just off the top of my head I’d say you guys are probably in the 20-25 range at OL.  Not great but other rookie QBs have certainly been behind worst.

The OL shouldn’t be as bad as it was Monday vs New Orleans. The uninspiring play calling (I know it’s preseason but still…) would be more concerning if I was a Jags fan.

3 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

The OL shouldn’t be as bad as it was Monday vs New Orleans. The uninspiring play calling (I know it’s preseason but still…) would be more concerning if I was a Jags fan.

Yeah, I wasn’t a believer in the Urban Meyer hire to begin with. I am resigned to the idea that with Lawrence, there’s a high likelihood that the Jags are gonna be contenders for the AFCS crown for the next decade or so, but I don’t think they’ll see consistent success under Meyer.

14 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Yeah, just off the top of my head I’d say you guys are probably in the 20-25 range at OL.  Not great but other rookie QBs have certainly been behind worst.

I don’t see how you can truly be THAT worried about preseason regardless.

OL that has missed their two best OL all preseason in Linder and Norwell (on top of Cam Rob last week), no Chark, very little JRob, TLaw still in the process of getting on the same page as his receivers, etc.

I don’t think anyone realistically expects more than 7, maybe 8 wins at the very best case scenario. More likely comes in at 4-5 IMO.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

I don’t see how you can truly be THAT worried about preseason regardless.

OL that has missed their two best OL all preseason in Linder and Norwell (on top of Cam Rob last week), no Chark, very little JRob, TLaw still in the process of getting on the same page as his receivers, etc.

I don’t think anyone realistically expects more than 7, maybe 8 wins at the very best case scenario. More likely comes in at 4-5 IMO.

I hope you have more than 4 or 5 just so you can’t grab another stud prospect.

8-9 for you!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I hope you have more than 4 or 5 just so you can’t grab another stud prospect.

8-9 for you!

After being a joke of a franchise for the past 10-15 years Im kind of over high picks now that we hopefully have our QB tbh. So give me 8-9 (with two wins being against you guys) please.

@.Buzz @KhanYouDigIt

Since you guys are here, can I ask how you guys felt about the whole “QB competition” between Minshew and Lawrence. I thought it was dumb from the jump and looks dumber now that Minshew got traded. Going with Lawrence from the jump would’ve gave him and the 1st team offense much valued and needed reps imo.

Edited by TitanSlim

9 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

@.Buzz @KhanYouDigIt

Since you guys are here, can I ask how you guys felt about the whole “QB competition” between Minshew and Lawrence. I thought it was dumb from the jump and looks dumber now that Minshew got traded. Going with Lawrence from the jump would’ve gave him and the 1st team offense much valued and needed reps imo.

Meh.

I like not handing over a job to a rookie right off the rip. Think they let it go longer than they should have though (especially after trading his competition for a 6th a few days after it ends, not that he’s worth more than that but,,,).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TitanSlim said:

@.Buzz @KhanYouDigIt

Since you guys are here, can I ask how you guys felt about the whole “QB competition” between Minshew and Lawrence. I thought it was dumb from the jump and looks dumber now that Mineshew got traded. Going with Lawrence from the jump would’ve gave him and the 1st team offense much valued reps. 

I didn’t mind the “competition”. I feel like competition brings out the best in players. I just think Urban wanted to show the guys that whether you are the #1 overall pick or signed a lucrative FA deal, nothing is going to be handed/ given to you. He wants everyone to earn their role.

Since Minshew was just dealt for a 6th, maybe a 5th, I can see why people would be questioning it and it’s definitely a fair point. Urban told Minshew from the jump he would give him a “fair shot” to win the job. I guess he kind of kept his word.

The first team offense has looked sluggish. From the run game, to the O-Line, playcalling (maybe on purpose). Our schedule isn’t that bad early on but as the season goes on and he gets more reps, we will definitely be better/more competitive.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

@.Buzz @KhanYouDigIt

I think you’re probably going to get a different understanding from the Jags fan base than a lot of fan bases, partially because of the homer “this is what we did, so we need to kinda justify it” but also because of the way the team handled their last two QBs. We did sit them to start the season, but when things went bad, we handed over the reigns to them as rookies when clearly neither of them was ready.

Gabbert had no business starting because he clearly wasn’t able to process at an NFL Level, and Bortles needed to spend a year doing one on one drills with a QB coach to clean up his mechanics. They didn’t do either of those things and we got the wonderful decade of QB play we did as a result. I don’t think Gabbert would have been any better had they done it, but I think Bortles would still be a serviceable guy if he didn’t spend his whole career swaying back and forth between decent and just disastrous mechanics.

So with that in mind, I think you’ll find many of us are kinda glad that they didn’t just give the reigns to Trevor because he’s Trevor Lawrence, but instead made him prove that he was ready to start. Maybe it doesn’t make any difference, but it at least feels like they’re making guys show they deserve the role they’re being given before it’s given to them.

Maybe it’s swung too far the other way, but after over a decade of guys just being given roles on the team they clearly didn’t deserve because of high draft status or big money spent in Free Agency, it’s — for the moment at least — a bit of fresh air to see the opposite.

• Like 2