AFC South Discussion Thread

titans0021

41 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Relatively full strength, we run away with this division like 2-3 weeks ago and compete for the #1 seed again. Jags are one of the healthiest teams in the league and good for them for being able to stay healthy and get 6 wins to this point. Last year, the Titans could sustain the injuries, this year with the talent level decreasing, they can’t.  Fully expect the Jags to win this division and maybe we can finally get one of those higher picks that the Jags roster if full of(we still wouldn’t get higher than likely 15 though).

Lol...get used to looking up in the division.  The Trevor lawrence era has begun. 

32 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

This run centric O is all Vrabel right? Would he ever change?

If he had his way, I think it would look more like the Niners. But yeah. Run based is his approach. 
Don't see him ever wanting to spread it out. Unless we just get a QB that he just can't put handcuffs on. 

2 minutes ago, Charles said:

You're right...I'm not used to it 

Until the Jags prove they can do it for more than half a season, then even for more than one season. His era can't begin.

As much as I downed Vrabel, he is still Vrabel. An off-season and healthy players, the division still might run through TN. 

But instead of Colts vs. Titans, it looks like Titans vs. Jags for the division for the next few years. 

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Until the Jags prove they can do it for more than half a season, then even for more than one season. His era can't begin.

As much as I downed Vrabel, he is still Vrabel. An off-season and healthy players, the division still might run through TN. 

But instead of Colts vs. Titans, it looks like Titans vs. Jags for the division for the next few years. 

Unless the Texans get a qb in the draft   Vrabel is a good coach,  but no qb and an aging Henry....really how relevant are the Titans going to be if Willis doesn't pan out?

3 minutes ago, Charles said:

Unless the Texans get a qb in the draft   Vrabel is a good coach,  but no qb and an aging Henry....really how relevant are the Titans going to be if Willis doesn't pan out?

The ability to create a lot of cap space with aging veterans. 
Vrabel doesn't actually need Willis to pan out. If he shown he can win with a Tannehill type QB, then find the next one that can not lose the game and hand it to Derrick behind a revamped line. 
More healthy team or just players who aren't directly off the practice squad of practice squad. 

We have evidence to point to and reason to be optimistic that with even 2-3 more healthy players, Vrabel led team can still beat some of the best in the NFL.    

But you have reason for optimism for the first time in a while. 
Lawrence has been playing well these last 5-6 weeks. 

That FA bill will come due soon, so I'd wonder how the roster will after next season or even next season. Gonna have to draft well. 

True.   We've got some decisions to make.  My guess,  Griffin, Marvin Jones,  

The ability to create a lot of cap space with aging veterans. 
Vrabel doesn't actually need Willis to pan out. If he shown he can win with a Tannehill type QB, then find the next one that can not lose the game and hand it to Derrick behind a revamped line. 
More healthy team or just players who aren't directly off the practice squad of practice squad. 

We have evidence to point to and reason to be optimistic that with even 2-3 more healthy players, Vrabel led team can still beat some of the best in the NFL.    

That's a really optimistic view.  Henry is likely to regress.  Without a qb, even a competitive roster gets you 6-8 wins a season which only lengthens your stay in qb purgatory.   Better to suck more for a season or two than keep not having your choice of qb.

2 minutes ago, Charles said:

True.   We've got some decisions to make.  My guess,  Griffin, Marvin Jones,  

That's a really optimistic view.  Henry is likely to regress.  Without a qb, even a competitive roster gets you 6-8 wins a season which only lengthens your stay in qb purgatory.   Better to suck more for a season or two than keep not having your choice of qb.

Henry hasn't regressed yet. His line has. In my opinion he still at least 2 good years as a threat. 
But we did a soft rebuild on offense this year already. So what you are seeing is really the  bottom for us. Only going to get better from here. Has no choice actually. lol

So playing around on Sportrac.com with the calculator. Currently you guys would be $16 million over the cap as it stands without any changes.
Marvin Jones is goin into FA so that doesn't count him. If you cut Griffin, you still sit at $3 million over the cap. It would take some restructures or releasing of guys that are contributing to your turnaround.

You know your guys better than I do. But just playing around and releasing these guys gets you a positive of $21 Million. 
Don't know if you trying to extend guys. Josh Allen and Calvin Ridley will need to extended or just playing on  last year of deal. 

1. Released Shaquill Griffin
    (Saved: $13,500,000)
  2. Released Rayshawn Jenkins
    (Saved: $6,250,000)
  3. Released Jamal Agnew
    (Saved: $4,750,000)
  4. Released K’Lavon Chaisson
    (Saved: $2,429,720)
  5. Released Shaq Quarterman
    (Saved: $1,010,000)
  6. Released Chris Claybrooks
  7. Released Daniel Thomas
  8. Released Walker Little
    (Saved: $627,118)
  9. Released Roy Robertson-Harris
    (Saved: $7,800,000)

1 minute ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Will probably restructure a few guys. Salary cap is fake.

It can be manipulated, but good luck. It's a dangerous game. Saints have to pay the piper this off-season. Can only do so much cap magic in the hole $62 million. And if you resturcture the wrong guys,  whew....

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/analysis/struggling-jaguars-panthers-saints-face-dire-2023-cap-space-concerns/

New Orleans Saints (3-6)

2022 Cap: +$1,755,184 (28th)

Projected 2023 Cap: -$62,680,802 (32nd)

New Orleans is just a game ahead of the Panthers in the NFC South after losing Monday night to the Ravens, the team’s third defeat in the last four games. The Saints clearly underestimated the effect of losing Sean Payton in the offseason as well as Drew Brees two years ago. They made trades in the offseason to acquire players primarily to fill short-term needs. With a 3-6 record, the Saints likely are headed for a top-10 pick (which the Eagles hold), and they have the least amount of available cap room, on paper, in 2023. This represents a fairly significant number of organizational mistakes to have a terrible record and be in this kind of cap situation.

I guess my point with restructuring. 
If you run it back with the same guys, these are the same guys that helped get 8 loses.  You are going to have to count on flawless football from Lawrence. Maybe he gives it.

Not going to have much money to dip into FA (which isn't that strong as of now) and draft extremely well and get impact players in year one, in order to leap from a 9-10 win team of now, to 11-12, AFC competing team. 

From experience, it is easier to get to the level we are now, than to the level the Bills/Chiefs are. 

9 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I guess my point with restructuring. 
If you run it back with the same guys, these are the same guys that helped get 8 loses.  You are going to have to count on flawless football from Lawrence. Maybe he gives it.

Not going to have much money to dip into FA (which isn't that strong as of now) and draft extremely well and get impact players in year one, in order to leap from a 9-10 win team of now, to 11-12, AFC competing team. 

From experience, it is easier to get to the level we are now, than to the level the Bills/Chiefs are. 

Never really expected them to be active in FA in 2023 and I don’t think they need to be. Re-sign a couple key guys and address slot CB/depth with the salary cap you have available. Jags aren’t in the same situation the Saints were in. Theirs can be manipulated much easier.

They had a 5 game losing streak where they lost each one by one score. Now 4-2 since that losing streak. They are 6-8 but are much better than their record indicates imo.

• Like 1

It's one thing to be talking smack as a Jag fan who actually sticks around like Khan or Buzz, but jags fans who only post when they win trying to come around and say anything is pretty hilarious.

Can at least say I know the vast majority of the posters here stuck around and still posted when the Titans were mediocre to awful every year from 09-15.

A strange sight is a Jaguar fan that's bandwagoning. Like if you're gonna bandwagon you think you'd pick a different team.

• Like 1