AFC South Discussion Thread

titans0021

9 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

just gonna put a depressing thought out there into the world:

what if the titans hire bill o'brien to replace art smith

I suspect if Vrabel is going Houston ties to replace Smith, then Pat O'Hara gets the nod. Otherwise I expect Vrabel to look for another Shanahan/Gibbs/Kubiak style coach. Mike LaFleur or Mike McDaniel from the 9ers(if Shanahan doesn't block their interviews again), maybe take the steal Rams OC approach again and grab McConnell, or if the Jags and Vikings continue on their paths, Kubiak himself and Gruden will be available. Gruden is a bit more of a stretch because his scheme isn't quite in line with what we currently run, but with how much experience he has in/around the Shanahan offense he could run that here I imagine.

The Vikings continuing to fail and Gary Kubiak coming available is the ideal situation, assuming he still wants to keep coaching after this year(with his health issues and stuff you never know).

42 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

just gonna put a depressing thought out there into the world:

what if the titans hire bill o'brien to replace art smith

I actually wouldn't hate it.

Now don't jump on me just yet, hear me out.  BOB was part of the Pats as QB Coach and OC during a successful stretch for the Pats, including a Super Bowl win during his year as OC.  He then went on to turn Penn State around from a nightmare scenario and make the Texans into a very good offensive team.  He has familiarity with both Vrabel and Robinson, so if he's seriously in consideration, they've certainly earned the benefit of the doubt on it.

As a head coach, he was bad.  As a GM, he was an absolute disaster, but as an OC, he has a pretty good track record.  The Texans, until this year, were a potent offense under him.

Are there better choices?  Almost certainly.  Would it be the worst thing that could happen?  Not by a long shot.

13 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

So you mean to tell me Minshew Mania isn’t the truth?

Also you mean to tell me that the Titans aren't exactly the same as the 2017 Jags that almost beat the Patriots and then fell off the face of the Earth?
Oh ok. 
Twitter, social media and NFL talking heads wasn't right for the first time.  Strange.

I'll be the odd one out who says I still like Minshew. Not that he's the 2nd coming or elite or anything, but the performances he puts up given the trash heap around him is impressive for a player who had no pro style offensive experience in college and is only in his 2nd year in the NFL. If Jags are done with him(no way they're going to just cut a guy as good as him at his cheap price, even if they go a different way at starting QB), I'd pick him up ASAP and put him behind Tannehill.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I'll be the odd one out who says I still like Minshew. Not that he's the 2nd coming or elite or anything, but the performances he puts up given the trash heap around him is impressive for a player who had no pro style offensive experience in college and is only in his 2nd year in the NFL. If Jags are done with him(no way they're going to just cut a guy as good as him at his cheap price, even if they go a different way at starting QB), I'd pick him up ASAP and put him behind Tannehill.

I’m right there with you. I think he’s a low end starting QB, but ideally he’s an elite backup QB. He’s a guy who can come in and win you games as a spot starter. He reminds me of Ryan Fitzpatrick in that sense, outside of the obvious Minshew Mania/Fitzmagic comparison.

• Like 1