Where would Tom Brady rank all time if he didn't win any Super Bowls

$andtrap

2 minutes ago, Starless said:

You miiiiight want to double-check that number. 

* During his tenure with New England.

If Brady was anything special, Belichick would have offered him a contract.

That's the difference between Brady and Peyton. Indy let Peyton go due to medical reasons; if they knew he had a couple of years left in the tank they absolutely would have brought him back.

Edited by $andtrap

12 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

A cautionary tale. 

If you lose 9 SB's you are a cautionary tale. 

Like I'm assuming same career except he just lost every SB by 1-7 points. 

This sums it up perfectly you would not be the GOAT if you lost 9 SBs. 

I'd say top 7 because losing 9 SBs is such a massive achievement and red flag. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, $andtrap said:

* During his tenure with New England.

That's the difference between Brady and Peyton. Indy let Peyton go due to medical reasons; if they knew he had a couple of years left in the tank they absolutely would have brought him back.

bruh...

You have come woefully unprepared. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, $andtrap said:

We need to realize that wins are a team stat. If we took those out of the equation and looked strictly at ability, what does  Brady offer to the table?

This is why I rank Brady relatively lower than most. He's nothing special. He's a product of the system and was in the right place at the right time. Quarterbacks like Peyton and Rodgers are straight up better.

As for my top 10:

Peyton Manning

Dan Marino

Aaron Rodgers

Johnny Unitas

Brett Favre

Steve Young

John Elway

Fran Tarkenton

Tom Brady

Joe Namath

Peyton Manning

Dan Marino

Johnny Unitas

Brett Favre

Roger Staubach

John Elway

Tom Brady

Joe Montana

Warren Moon

Sammie Baugh

1 hour ago, $andtrap said:

If we took those out of the equation and looked strictly at ability, what does  Brady offer to the table?

Strictly ability?

Mike Vick>Rodgers

41 minutes ago, $andtrap said:

The team was letting Brady decide. If Brady wanted to stay, a deal would’ve got done. 

Sounds like a troll account, so probably wasting my breath.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Strictly ability?

Mike Vick>Rodgers

The team was letting Brady decide. If Brady wanted to stay, a deal would’ve got done. 

Sounds like a troll account, so probably wasting my breath.

Straw man. The only thing Vick had over Rodgers was running ability. Rodgers absolutey destroys him in every other facet of the position.

Belichick offered a cheap one year contract. This shows how little he really valued Brady.

41 minutes ago, $andtrap said:

Straw man. The only thing Vick had over Rodgers was running ability. Rodgers absolutey destroys him in every other facet of the position.

It’s not a strawman. I quoted you directly and will do so again, since you’re confused:

If we took those out of the equation and looked strictly at ability, what does  Brady offer to the table?”

Strictly ability? Brady probably isn’t even a top 30 QB, let alone the GOAT. Mike Vick>Rodgers, Josh Allen>Peyton Manning, etc. Such a silly standard to abide by.

You realize you just said Belichick didn’t offer Brady a contract? And now you’re posting a link to an article alleging that Belichick did in fact offer Brady a contract? Hard to follow your stories when they’re all over the place, bro. But for next time you want to troll, have the backup info: 

- Pats never made a real offer. They wanted to see what Brady decided, then they’d make the financials work. They were (and are at the moment) incredibly cap strapped so it didn’t make sense to promise Tom the moon. Tom just wanted to leave.

- But still, if it were only money, Tom could’ve got an even more lucrative deal. Perhaps without the bells and whistles, but clearly not just the money.

- In fact, the owner (and perhaps Brady’s closest friend within the FO) said Tom would’ve had a deal done, if he had only wanted to stay. He just wanted other things, which...most of us understand at this point. 

So even if I ignored the mountain-load of context that some might try to pretend doesn’t exist, and I took your article at face value, the natural follow-up is: what cap space was NE working with? Because even giving Brady the $25M the Buccaneers gave him would absolutely cripple the team more so than it already has been. Thuney, gone. McCourty x2, gone. Sanu, gone. The team, even with some non-Brady cap relief, lost KVN, Collins, Shelton, Roberts, and Dorsett (not a real loss, tbf). So even if that conversation happened (Schefter himself said, “there haven’t been any substantial contract negotiations”- a day before free agency), is Bill supposed to make cap space appear out of thin air? 

And even then: why are we using Brady’s aged 43 season with the stingiest coach of all time on a cap strapped team as the litmus test for Brady’s all-time “ability”? Zero logic, zero sense, zero thread.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Starless said:

Not having championships means... what, exactly? That he performs the same but his team just never makes the playoffs? Or that he fails to perform in the playoffs, causing them to lose? Kind of an important distinction. 

Yeah, if we're still assuming he made it to that many Super Bowls and lost every one, then how those are lost is the story of his career.  And it probably puts him with guys like Marino and Kelly in discussions.  Though that many SBs without a win would raise just a ton of questions, and someone would be fired or moved on from in that tenure.

5 hours ago, $andtrap said:

Yyyyyyeah, that's a really bad argument, unless your point is the preceding decade plus where he was in fact offered contracts.  With an S.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, $andtrap said:

Although he has a track record of cheating, Belichick is still a great coach. He's 14-6 without Brady. To win 11 games with Matt Cassell is impressive.

Maybe my favorite thing to read is how people forget Belichick was likely well on his way to getting fired from New England as he was 5-13 with the highest paid QB in NFL history at the time(Drew Bledsoe, and Belichick was HC when they signed him to the record breaking deal after his initial 5-11 season in 2000, so it's not like Belichick had to inherit that..he chose Bledsoe to be his QB). In the 18 games with Drew Bledsoe the Patriots scored 16.4 ppg. Over the final 14 games of the 2001 season when Brady took over as starter they scored 22.3 ppg.

Or how people bring up the Cassel thing like the Patriots didn't go from scoring 36.8 ppg with Brady in 2007 to 25.6 ppg in 08 with Cassel.

So somehow this system that made Brady couldn't make the highest paid QB ever(at the time) look good and resulted in an 11 ppg drop off with another.

• Like 3