Where would Tom Brady rank all time if he didn't win any Super Bowls

$andtrap

9 hours ago, Classic said:

The lack of Brady respect is getting out of hand. Where would he rank if he didn't win any super bowls? That's bizarre question as it would require imagining Brady not playing well in the post-season which is his M.O.

FALSE!

The Patriots postseason is success is due to their DEFENSE, not Brady!

18 hours ago, $andtrap said:

We need to realize that wins are a team stat. If we took those out of the equation and looked strictly at ability, what does  Brady offer to the table?

This is why I rank Brady relatively lower than most. He's nothing special. He's a product of the system and was in the right place at the right time. Quarterbacks like Peyton and Rodgers are straight up better.

As for my top 10:

Peyton Manning

Dan Marino

Aaron Rodgers

Johnny Unitas

Brett Favre

Steve Young

John Elway

Fran Tarkenton

Tom Brady

Joe Namath

I am not going to claim to be a QB expert, but like...

This is an abysmally bad top 10.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Starless said:

Not having championships means... what, exactly? That he performs the same but his team just never makes the playoffs? Or that he fails to perform in the playoffs, causing them to lose? Kind of an important distinction. 

I would say give him level of team performance that Brees/Rodgers has had overall.  Teams that although the QB is performing well/great the defense or other aspects of the team fails in the regular season/playoffs, so he'd miss the playoffs some years and not make it to the Super Bowl in others.

If he had that type of career, then stats alone Brady would be looking at the top 10 overall, though he would be hard pressed to pass anyone with a Super Bowl, kind of like Marino.

3 hours ago, $andtrap said:

FALSE!

The Patriots postseason is success is due to their DEFENSE, not Brady!

Oh damn! I didn't realize you're only on season 1 of this show. Okay, not to spoil anything, but there's like 20 more seasons.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Classic said:

The lack of Brady respect is getting out of hand. Where would he rank if he didn't win any super bowls? That's bizarre question as it would require imagining Brady not playing well in the post-season which is his M.O.

Yea, but what if he was bad? Where would he rank then?

33 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Yea, but what if he was bad? Where would he rank then?

He would have been benched after the 2001 season for Drew Bledsoe. He'd probably bounce around the league as a backup, maybe got another shot as a starter if someone else got hurt, but he'd be out of the league and probably be best known as Bridget Moniyhan's husband.

He'd be ranked alongside the likes of Jeff Hostetler, Steve Bono or Clint Stoerner - a good backup, hard worker, great film study guy and a good scout team QB who would challenge the defense.

Because - if we're REALLY playing this game - his first SB secured the starting job for him. If he doesn't win that, he doesn't get another shot as we know it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He would have been benched after the 2001 season for Drew Bledsoe. He'd probably bounce around the league as a backup, maybe got another shot as a starter if someone else got hurt, but he'd be out of the league and probably be best known as Bridget Moniyhan's husband.

He'd be ranked alongside the likes of Jeff Hostetler, Steve Bono or Clint Stoerner - a good backup, hard worker, great film study guy and a good scout team QB who would challenge the defense.

Because - if we're REALLY playing this game - his first SB secured the starting job for him. If he doesn't win that, he doesn't get another shot as we know it.

In the alternative universe where Brady is a nobody he still somehow bags Bridget Moynihan, you gotta respect the man's hustle. 

• Like 5

For me it's impossible to say. I don't use team wins or championships in rating players BUT I do use how a player played in big situations. So I'd have to see why he didn't win. Did he not play as well? Did his defense not play as well? It's just an unanswerable counterfactual

• Like 1