Salary Cap and Covid-19

A good read, and also links to a previous article from them about the salary cap, which borrows from Over the Cap.  

In short, Covid-19 could have some drastic effects now and in the future with the cap, as the cap has always gone up as revenue has gone up.  With the threat of a season being affected by Covid-19, whether it's no live crowd or even a shortened or cancelled season, the cap is sure to go down.  The ultimate question is how much?  

If we really were forward thinking in our approach to the off-season by signing players to shorter, non guaranteed contracts, then I applaud the front office for reading the tea leaves.  

As this article points out, there are a few contracts we could move on from, but some are fully guaranteed as well.  Some options mentioned in the article like Allen I am not in favor of at all.  We still have to play to our strengths.  

• Like 1

Maybe I missed something along the way but when did teams win an award for having the most cap space? I understand trading Kerrigan because he’s getting older and deserves a chance to win but trading Allen just makes no sense. He’s a building block for what this team is trying to accomplish. I want to win, I don’t give a damn about cap space. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Maybe I missed something along the way but when did teams win an award for having the most cap space? I understand trading Kerrigan because he’s getting older and deserves a chance to win but trading Allen just makes no sense. He’s a building block for what this team is trying to accomplish. I want to win, I don’t give a damn about cap space. 

It depends on how much the cap shrinks, which is a real possibility. 

https://overthecap.com/what-could-happen-to-the-salary-cap-in-2021/

Losing all local revenue from live crowds would result in $80 million loss in cap space.  Just think of teams close to the cap right now and how much they would have to cut to make it there.  

As the writer of the Hogs Haven article said, even he doesn't believe in cutting Allen right now, but that to get the cap as low as possible to prepare for this, Allen is a possibility, just from a numbers perspective. 

40 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

A good read, and also links to a previous article from them about the salary cap, which borrows from Over the Cap.  

In short, Covid-19 could have some drastic effects now and in the future with the cap, as the cap has always gone up as revenue has gone up.  With the threat of a season being affected by Covid-19, whether it's no live crowd or even a shortened or cancelled season, the cap is sure to go down.  The ultimate question is how much?  

If we really were forward thinking in our approach to the off-season by signing players to shorter, non guaranteed contracts, then I applaud the front office for reading the tea leaves.  

As this article points out, there are a few contracts we could move on from, but some are fully guaranteed as well.  Some options mentioned in the article like Allen I am not in favor of at all.  We still have to play to our strengths.  

Yeah I wouldn’t get rid of Allen. But if we are where we currently are and we can drop the Smith deal from the books then I can’t see another team really set up better for any cap situation next year. Maybe that’s why the Vikings are getting rid of guys for picks because they will be in serious trouble. But the Redskins have actually ran a very organized plan. I think this season goes on as scheduled. But it’s funny players were holding out for the new CBA thinking next year would be a huge jump for their deals. And now all these players could really be in line for reduced deals they would never have entertained this offseason or last before the virus came about.

1 minute ago, ripsean21 said:

Yeah I wouldn’t get rid of Allen. But if we are where we currently are and we can drop the Smith deal from the books then I can’t see another team really set up better for any cap situation next year. Maybe that’s why the Vikings are getting rid of guys for picks because they will be in serious trouble. But the Redskins have actually ran a very organized plan. I think this season goes on as scheduled. But it’s funny players were holding out for the new CBA thinking next year would be a huge jump for their deals. And now all these players could really be in line for reduced deals they would never have entertained this offseason or last before the virus came about.

The Vikings ended up with 15 picks.  I think they are absolutely preparing themselves to have to jettison some veteran players if the cap goes down for 2021.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It depends on how much the cap shrinks, which is a real possibility. 

https://overthecap.com/what-could-happen-to-the-salary-cap-in-2021/

Losing all local revenue from live crowds would result in $80 million loss in cap space.  Just think of teams close to the cap right now and how much they would have to cut to make it there.  

As the writer of the Hogs Haven article said, even he doesn't believe in cutting Allen right now, but that to get the cap as low as possible to prepare for this, Allen is a possibility.  

But we picked up his option which made his deal fully guaranteed. I think players like Matt Ryan and just aged veterans but I think we have the best situation for that kind of cap jump. But honestly if the cap was to jump that low some teams wouldn’t even be able to get down without putting so much money on deals to the future they could be completely crippled for years if this happened

• Like 1

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The Vikings ended up with 15 picks.  I think they are absolutely preparing themselves to have to jettison some veteran players if the cap goes down for 2021.  

That’s why I brought them up it seems they could have been planning this. The only thing that would make this better is a 36 million dollar  mid season blockbuster for Dak then the cap drop 😂😂😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

But we picked up his option which made his deal fully guaranteed. I think players like Matt Ryan and just aged veterans but I think we have the best situation for that kind of cap jump. But honestly if the cap was to jump that low some teams wouldn’t even be able to get down without putting so much money on deals to the future they could be completely crippled for years if this happened

Teams can now get out of some of that money if I recall correctly.  

This is why, in another Hogs Haven article, they could negotiate under the "force majeure" policy, at least for a season or two, until things become more stable.  

As things are going badly for MLB right now, the NFL owners and PA need to be negotiating this NOW instead of putting it off until it reaches the tipping point. 

2 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

That’s why I brought them up it seems they could have been planning this. The only thing that would make this better is a 36 million dollar  mid season blockbuster for Dak then the cap drop 😂😂😂

Jerry was smart to sign Andy Dalton.  He would also be smart not to re-sign Dakota and use draft capital next year on a new QB.  

The Redskins signing a bunch of 1-2 year FA deals with hardly any guarantees is another example of teams potentially reading into this.  

The ones who got stupid money last year and this year are safe.  The veterans near the end of their contracts like Morgan Moses are the ones who are going to lose out here in a big, big way. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Teams can now get out of some of that money if I recall correctly.  

This is why, in another Hogs Haven article, they could negotiate under the "force majeure" policy, at least for a season or two, until things become more stable.  

As things are going badly for MLB right now, the NFL owners and PA need to be negotiating this NOW instead of putting it off until it reaches the tipping point. 

Yeah the MLB is in trouble. But I also agree they need too start trying to get out ahead of this. Hopefully the season goes on as planned. Hopefully they don’t need to be ahead of anything but they should be coming up with something

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Jerry was smart to sign Andy Dalton.  He would also be smart not to re-sign Dakota and use draft capital next year on a new QB.  

The Redskins signing a bunch of 1-2 year FA deals with hardly any guarantees is another example of teams potentially reading into this.  

The ones who got stupid money last year and this year are safe.  The veterans near the end of their contracts like Morgan Moses are the ones who are going to lose out here in a big, big way. 

He was and I wouldn’t resign Dak. But I’m really really hoping Dak gets every penny out of that team he can. But that’s a personal interest. 

• Like 2

I would never cut Jon Allen or any of our DL. They are too good of players to just cut and get zero compensation. The top 7 (including Settle) all have trade value still, even Kerrigan - who we should have traded last Oct for a mid-round pick.

If one of Allen or Ioannidis is obviously the better of the two next year - and the last 3 years they've been about equal - then, I’d trade the other one for hopefully a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Edited by turtle28

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I would never cut Jon Allen or any of our DL. They are too good of players, they all have value still, even Kerrigan - who we should have traded last Oct for a mid-round pick. If one of Allen or Ioannidis is obviously the better of the two next year - and the last 3 years they've been about equal - then, I’d trade the other one for hopefully a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I agree.  But from a pure numbers perspective, he has a contract that would work.  Thats the point the writer was trying to make.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I agree.  But from a pure numbers perspective, he has a contract that would work.  Thats the point the writer was trying to make.  

I would think it would make much more sense to trade or cut Kerrigan - again I still wouldn’t want to cut Kerrigan, but I’d trade him - rather than cutting or trading Jon Allen who is just entering his prime. If you HAVE TO DROP $11.7 million from your cap today, it’s obvious that Kerrigan is the guy you move in a trade or as a last resort cut if you have to get under the cap.

Edited by turtle28

50 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I would think it would make much more sense to trade or cut Kerrigan - again I still wouldn’t want to cut Kerrigan, but I’d trade him - rather than cutting or trading Jon Allen who is just entering his prime. If you HAVE TO DROP $11.7 million from your cap today, it’s obvious that Kerrigan is the guy you move in a trade or as a last resort cut if you have to get under the cap.

If teams lose $80 million on the cap in a year, a lot of tough decisions on good players like Allen will need to be made across the league

The smart play is to trade him for another player at a position of need instead of outright releasing him, if the cap crunch dictates so.  If this cap issue comes into play, trades could be made in more volume than we've seen in the NFL, especially if teams have the depth at a position like we do on the DL.