Week 4 GDT: Bears @ Packers

Madmike90

Chicago_Bears_Logo_Mike_Ditka_Superfan--VSd2ef0e032b01628c199cd4b49e67890e--packers-nfl-greenbay-packers.jpg

Week 4: Bears @ Packers - 28th of September 2017 - The Place...

lambeau-field.jpg

Trivia...

The Packers and Bears have both produced their shares of gridiron greats.

Chicago has the most players enshrined in the NFL Hall of Fame with 26. But the Packers hold the No. 2 spot for most names on the wall in Canton with 22.

The most recent Packers player to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame was Lombardi-era linebacker Dave Robinson in 2013. Reggie White was also posthumously inducted in 2006.

Goose eggs on the scoreboard have been a regular occurrence at Packers-Bears games.

To date – there have been 28 shutouts, And plenty of those games were defensive battles. Twice in the early years – a single safety accounted for the only points. The games were decided by a score of 2-0.

The Chicago Bears hold the privilege of the biggest blowout in the rivalry. They beat Green Bay 61 to 7 in a 1980 game. That’s a margin of 54 points. Ouch!

The Packers largest margin of victory was a 49-0 shutout that saw Vince Lombardi’s team trounce George Halas’s Bears in 1962.

Every heated rivalry needs a good prank story. But this one is complete horse $h!t.

The Packers got their butts kicked in the Bear’s first game featuring William “The Refrigerator” Perry. Coach Ditka used the rookie defensive lineman as a fullback in goal line situations. He was practically unstoppable when blocking for Walter Payton, and The Fridge even scored a rushing touchdown himself.

The second game between the teams that season was at Lambeau. The Packers left a special treat for the Bears in their locker room – two big bags of smelly manure. Stories say a local radio station provided the poop the Packers used – but I can’t figure out which station it was. (If you know – tell us in the comments below)

Tempers were obviously running high during the game. Two Packers got tossed out, and Bears quarterback Jim McMahon flipped the bird to Packers coach Forrest Gregg after scoring a TD pass to The Fridge.

The Packers’ manure prank didn’t help them win the game either. They lost 16-10, and Chicago went on to win the Super Bowl that year. Now that stinks!

There have been more games between Bears and Packers than any other rivalry in NFL history with the series currently tied at 94-94-6.

Stat Leaders...

Passing - Mike Glennon 615 yards 3 TDs - 3 INTs vs. Aaron Rodgers 967 yards 6 TDs - 3 INT.

Rushing - Jordan Howard 194 yards 3 TDs vs. Ty Montgomery 124 yards 2 TDs.

Receiving - Tarik Cohen 126 yards 1 TD vs. Davante Adams 244 yards 1 TD.

Tackles - Danny Trevathan 16 tackles vs. Blake Martinez 18 tackles.

Sacks - Akiem Hicks/Willie Young 2 sacks vs. Josh Jones 2 sacks.

INTs - What are those again? vs. What are those again?.

Injury Report...

Bears..

Tom Compton -- RT -- Hip -- FP

Quintin Demps -- S -- Forearm -- DNP -- DNP

Hroniss Grasu -- C -- Hand -- LP -- LP

Nick Kwiatkoski -- ILB -- Chest -- DNP -- DNP

Josh Sitton -- RG -- Ribs -- LP -- LP

Packers...

David Bakhtiari -- T -- Hamstring -- LP -- LP

Kentrell Brice -- S -- Groin -- LP -- FP

Bryan Bulaga -- T -- Ankle -- DNP -- LP

Randall Cobb -- WR -- Chest -- LP -- FP

Mike Daniels -- DT -- Hip -- LP -- LP

Quinton Dial -- DT -- Chest -- LP -- FP

Davin House -- CB -- Quadricep -- DNP -- DNP

Ty Montgomery -- RB -- Wrist -- LP -- FP

Nick Perry -- LB -- Hand -- LP -- FP

Jake Ryan -- LB -- Hamstring/Concussion -- LP -- FP

Coaching Matchup...

John Fox - Career record - 129-114 (.531) vs. Mike McCarthy - Career Record - 116-62 (.651)

9 hours ago, G08 said:

If the Packers win, it will be the first time they had the lead in head-to-head wins since the 1930s...

What a sad stat for us. Outside of 2004-2006 we have just not been able to keep up with the Packers. It doesn't hurt them to have 2 first ballot HOF QBs since 1992.

This will be an obvious loss in my opinion. I see it being close because of our defense but without a real passing attack and on the road I see us going down in the fourth quarter. The only saving grace is the Packers have not really looked good even at home and it's a Thursday game so both teams are just beat up. I can see some wacky plays from fatigue. 

2 big pass plays at this point might be 2 passing first downs...

I wouldn't put money on it, but this is a winnable game.  If Hicks and Goldman are able to keep the Packers back, and Floyd gets some help across and is able to rattle Rodgers, I think the Bears can keep the score close.  The Packers run D is not exactly infalliable either.  

This could just as easily be a Packers blowout as it could be a low scoring game that comes down to the Bears getting a turnover and grinding it out.  I am excited to watch it, so at least there's that!

By the way, I thought Dowell Loggains stunk at first, but after late last season and early this season I'm actually starting to think he might be -gasp- good based on what he's been able to do with really limited personnel. Truth will be how he calls it when he has a more complete roster to work with, but who knows when that will be. It nothing else he's been creative and resourceful which I think is pretty respectable.  If he keeps finding ways to not implode with Glennon, and hopefully eventually gets to open things up for Trubisky's skill set, it wouldn't shock me if he is in HC discussion for 2018. 

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

2 big pass plays at this point might be 2 passing first downs...

I wouldn't put money on it, but this is a winnable game.  If Hicks and Goldman are able to keep the Packers back, and Floyd gets some help across and is able to rattle Rodgers, I think the Bears can keep the score close.  The Packers run D is not exactly infalliable either.  

This could just as easily be a Packers blowout as it could be a low scoring game that comes down to the Bears getting a turnover and grinding it out.  I am excited to watch it, so at least there's that!

By the way, I thought Dowell Loggains stunk at first, but after late last season and early this season I'm actually starting to think he might be -gasp- good based on what he's been able to do with really limited personnel. Truth will be how he calls it when he has a more complete roster to work with, but who knows when that will be. It nothing else he's been creative and resourceful which I think is pretty respectable.  If he keeps finding ways to not implode with Glennon, and hopefully eventually gets to open things up for Trubisky's skill set, it wouldn't shock me if he is in HC discussion for 2018. 

Really? Man I want to chug that kool-aid... I just don't know if I see it. Nothing would make me happier than to see him kick *** with Trubisky this season.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Nothing else matters in this game besides that fact that we have

Mike Glennon [worst QB in the NFL] vs Aaron Rodgers [1st or 2nd QB in the NFL]

The Bears have no chance on the road with that disparity at QB.

Packers 27 Bears 16

It comes down to those 1-4 plays that only a game changing player can make. They have more than we do and one of the best.

Mike Glennon... worst QB in the league

It hadn't really occurred to me that he just might be that. I'm struggling to think of who we'll consider worse at season's end and it's a pretty short and close list. Siemian, Kessler, Bortles?

Man, WHY did you have to say that out loud? 

I still think the Bears have a shot in this one.  If they do, it'll be apparent early.  However, as my wife is fond to point out,  I never win coin tosses, ever (It's sadly very reliable)

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Nothing else matters in this game besides that fact that we have

Mike Glennon [worst QB in the NFL] vs Aaron Rodgers [1st or 2nd QB in the NFL]

The Bears have no chance on the road with that disparity at QB.

Packers 27 Bears 16

Ordinarily windy i would b inclined to agree but as big as that disparity is it may b equally as big of a disparity between the 2 ols as well.  Not saying the bears ol is the best in the league but they universally better than the makeshift ol gb is going to run out there with a practice squad ot and fully aged jahri evans.  The bears have one chance and that is to dominate the los on both sides of the ball and hope mike glennon doesnt put you in a hole

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Mike Glennon... worst QB in the league

It hadn't really occurred to me that he just might be that. I'm struggling to think of who we'll consider worse at season's end and it's a pretty short and close list. Siemian, Kessler, Bortles?

Man, WHY did you have to say that out loud? 

I still think the Bears have a shot in this one.  If they do, it'll be apparent early.  However, as my wife is fond to point out,  I never win coin tosses, ever (It's sadly very reliable)

Bortles and Siemien have had good starts to the year.

The worse starting QB in the NFL right now is Glennon and I am not sure if anyone is in the conversation. Case Keenum is playing significantly better than him.

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Ordinarily windy i would b inclined to agree but as big as that disparity is it may b equally as big of a disparity between the 2 ols as well.  Not saying the bears ol is the best in the league but they universally better than the makeshift ol gb is going to run out there with a practice squad ot and fully aged jahri evans.  The bears have one chance and that is to dominate the los on both sides of the ball and hope mike glennon doesnt put you in a hole

There are areas where the Bears can win, but 101 yards passing is not going to be enough to beat the Packers.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Bortles and Siemien have had good starts to the year.

The worse starting QB in the NFL right now is Glennon and I am not sure if anyone is in the conversation. Case Keenum is playing significantly better than him.

Yep I couldn't agree more, perhaps Kizer for the Browns? But I haven't really followed him.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

There are areas where the Bears can win, but 101 yards passing is not going to be enough to beat the Packers.

I expect us to actually try and pass it instead of running it like the past game. If Loggins can create a game play to get the Pack D off balance early we may have a shot the challenge is execution but let's not forget the Falcons game when Glennon played very well in the second half against a top D.

I'm expecting the Packers to sell out to stop the run and force Glennon to make plays in the passing game.

I'd personally come out in 12 personnel (Miller and Sims on opposite sides of the LOS) and send them vertical. Open up the middle of the field and get Wheaton a clean release and see if you can hit him on a high percentage slant and let him use that speed in the open field. I mean do something to get those linebackers on their heels and their safeties back deep.

Archived