Create the best Vikings Team Possible

SteelKing728

22 hours ago, vike daddy said:

not sure why. only defensive player at that time to win league MVP.

and then do it again two years later.

I love Pat Williams as a NT. He was perfect in that role.

But clearly Alan Page is better.

Phat Pat is definitely a top 3-5 DT for us though I think!

6 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I love Pat Williams as a NT. He was perfect in that role.

But clearly Alan Page is better.

Phat Pat is definitely a top 3-5 DT for us though I think!

Page would get pushed around in today's NFL. Players that were elite in their era may not be good choices to be on a best possible team if that team were playing in the modern NFL or against the best possible groups of players other teams could assemble in the same way. In particular, for offensive and defensive linemen I would be very hesitant. I'll take Randall McDaniel in any era though.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, swede700 said:

You can't really compare what Tarkenton did to Favre from a straight statistical view, because the eras and rules (and workout regimens) were so different...to the point, they really could be considered different games.  I bet Tarkenton, under the rules that Favre played under, could have been just as effective as him.  In fact, if you look up Tarkenton on pro-football-reference, who is Tarkenton's comparison?  Brett Favre.  

And Tarkenton would've never thrown as many interceptions as Favre.

39 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Page would get pushed around in today's NFL. Players that were elite in their era may not be good choices to be on a best possible team if that team were playing in the modern NFL or against the best possible groups of players other teams could assemble in the same way. In particular, for offensive and defensive linemen I would be very hesitant. I'll take Randall McDaniel in any era though.

As Col. Potter would say, "Horse Hockey!!"  Great is great!  In Page's era, for most of his career, he was the size he had to be to perform at an elite level.  Again, as Swede700 mentioned about Tarkenton, with todays advancements in work out, nutrition and physiology, Page could've been equally effective.  Many player of past era's would still excel in the "modern" era while taking advantage of all that would be available to them. 

43 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

As Col. Potter would say, "Horse Hockey!!"  Great is great!  In Page's era, for most of his career, he was the size he had to be to perform at an elite level.  Again, as Swede700 mentioned about Tarkenton, with todays advancements in work out, nutrition and physiology, Page could've been equally effective.  Many player of past era's would still excel in the "modern" era while taking advantage of all that would be available to them. 

Perhaps that is so. I remember seeing Page get pushed around more than I would like in the games against the Rams later in his career. If he was getting pushed out of the way at that point I am not so sure that he would hold up currently even with the advantages of modern sports medicine.

2 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Perhaps that is so. I remember seeing Page get pushed around more than I would like in the games against the Rams later in his career. If he was getting pushed out of the way at that point I am not so sure that he would hold up currently even with the advantages of modern sports medicine.

During his final seasons he was down to 225 pounds.  He was running in marathons, and I believe he had converted to vegetarianism.  You're right, sometimes he got pushed around.  Yet, in his retirement, he hasn't had many of the physical issues that other pro football retirees have.  So there's that.

QB:  Brett Favre  (Took him over Tarkenton because he has the arm to go deep to Randy)

RB(2):  Adrian Peterson, Herschel Walker

FB:  Tony Richardson

WR(3):  Randy Moss, Cris Carter, Anthony Carter

TE:  Steve Jordan  (Jermaine Wiggins is my all-time favorite, but Jordan was better).

LT:  Gary Zimmerman

LG:  Randal McDaniel

C:  Mick Tingelhoff

RG:  Steve Hutchinson

RT:  Korey Stringer

DE(3):  Carl Eller, Chris Doleman, Jared Allen

DT(2):  Alan Page, Keith Millard

OLB(2):  Matt Blair, Wally Hilgenberg

MLB:  Scott Studwell

CB(2):  Carl Lee, Bobby Bryant

S(2):  Robert Griffith, Harrison Smith

K:  Fred Cox

P:  Mitch Berger

LS:  Mike Morris

KR:  Cordarrelle "Flash" Patterson

PR:  Marcus Sherels

I can't believe I'm the only one to have DT Keith Millard on this list.  IMO, he is the second best defensive player the Vikings have ever had (at any position) behind only Alan Page.  He was bigger, stronger, faster, and just noticeably better than John Randle.  If his career hadn't been shortened due to injury, I have no doubt in my mind that he would have been a first ballot Hall of Famer.  He was that good!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I can't believe I'm the only one to have DT Keith Millard on this list.  IMO, he is the second best defensive player the Vikings have ever had (at any position) behind only Alan Page.  He was bigger, stronger, faster, and just noticeably better than John Randle.  If his career hadn't been shortened due to injury, I have no doubt in my mind that he would have been a first ballot Hall of Famer.  He was that good!

He certainly might have been, but we can't just go off of what might have been.  Also, as much as I loved to watch Millard play, I'm still a little bitter at him for stiffing the Vikings in the first place to go play in the USFL.  That left kind of a sore spot.  Plus, Randle had a motor that wouldn't quit.  Millard never had that motor.    

Edited by swede700

I don't think there are too many wrong answers here, just different opinions. After I submitted mine I second guessed a few....I picked Steussie over Zimmerman and Bryant over Winfield, depending on the day I could flip-flop those. 3rd wideout, I can't argue against Rashad, Reed, Theilen, A. Carter, Gilliam, Washington over White. To me that's why this is a fun exercise, so many choices leads to a lot of differing opinions. 

I tried to limit my opinions to what they did in purple, Tark won 3 nfc championships, nobody else came close to that!

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 8:11 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Roster:

QB: Fran Tarkenton the best qb in team history.

RB(2): Adrian Peterson, Robert Smith my 2 favorite RB plus they were the best.

FB: Jerome Felton led the way for AP MVP year

WR(3): Randy Moss, Cris Carter, Adam Thielen 2 best outside WRs and the best slot WR.

TE: Steve Jordan he can block anyone and catch everything

LT: Ron Yary best tackle in team history

LG: Steve Hutchinson second best guard but played primary LG

C: Matt Birk I always liked him

RG: Randall McDaniel the best all around OLman in team history he could play any position.

RT: Korey Stringer life cut short but he was on his way to great things for us.

DE(3): Carl Eller Chris Doleman Danielle Hunter each one is the best DE of their generations

DT(2): Allen Page and John Randle hardest position for me to pick but got to go with the 2 HOFers

OLB(2): Anthony Barr Matt Blair Barr is an athletic freak and Blair was a tackling machine.

MLB: Eric Kendricks great in coverage and against the run

CB(2): Bobbi Bryant Antoine Winfield Winfield the best tackling CB ever and Bryant second most INT

S(2): Paul Krause Harrison Smith One HOFer and one future HOFer

K: Gary Anderson still the only kicker with a perfect

P: Mitch Berger it was him or Kluwe

LS: Kevin McDermot only one I can think of.

KR: Percy Harvin Dynamic KR plus he play in 4 WR sets as well

PR: Marcus Sherels never the best but always solid. 

Edited by vikings209
Forgot something
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, vikings209 said:

LS: Kevin McDermot only one I can think of.

Apparently everyone here is too young to remember Mike "The Superstar" Morris...he was the LS for the Vikings during the entire 1990s.  And it wasn't his fault that Gary Anderson missed the kick.  ;)

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

Apparently everyone here is too young to remember Mike "The Superstar" Morris...he was the LS for the Vikings during the entire 1990s.  And it wasn't his fault that Gary Anderson missed the kick.  ;)

I've been a fan of the Vikings since 87. I just don't pay attention to LS. 🙄

On 5/22/2020 at 8:38 AM, swede700 said:

Loeffler was a Viking longer, and did it better.