Worst Teams to Make the Super Bowl

Jotun_Fan

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

It was a horrible game because the Ravens absolutely dominated the Giants. Both were good teams though, neither of whom belongs in this thread IMO

I think that was a weird time for the NFL.  I'm not sure if it was that there were a lot of good defenses or just a dearth of good quarterbacks in the league.  Trent Dilfer was horrible, Kerry Collins really wasn't much better.  Kind of a similar matchup the year before with the Bucs v. Giants in week one, Dilfer was the starting QB.  Giants couldn't do anything (100 yds of offense, 4 first downs, 1/13 third downs) but Dilfer had a fumble returned for a touchdown and threw some of the worst picks I've ever seen including a 8yd INT for a touchdown so the giants won 17-13.  In the Super Bowl, if that Armstead pick-6 doesn't get called back I can't help but wonder if it's deja vu all over again for Dilfer.  That Ravens D was so good that we can (kind of) forget just how bad Dilfer was.  He was almost so bad that it wasn't the case though.  Even with the best defense of all time they couldn't win the division, and it took a little bit of luck and ADG going 1/4 to get past the titans in the divisional.  

As a fan of the Giants, they really were not good around this time.  Part of their MO would be winning games they really shouldn't.  In their first playoff game they scored 0 offensive touchdowns, scored on the opening kickoff return and with a fluke interception from Sehorn.  The next game against the Vikings might have been the biggest letdown I've seen from a supposed contender, and again they were up early (14-0 in two minutes thanks to horrible secondary play and a fumble on the ensuing kickoff.)  People were calling them the "worst team to host a championship game" and the owner even remarked on it and jokingly called them "the worst team to make the super bowl" after the win.  Then in the super bowl, they again fail to score an offensive touchdown.  So in their two wins they got off to very quick leads, and in two of three playoff games they fail to score a TD on offense.  

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Did they not finish 2-5 against teams with a winning record though? And both of the QBs they fielded seemed dreadful even for 1979 standards. Why did you think Ferragamo was better than Haden? They also finished with a -8 turnover differential. They made the Super Bowl, but didn't dominate Dallas or Tampa, and the entire NFC seemed fairly tame that year. No team even won more than 11 games. I don't know. You probably watched the games at the time, but just looking into it, and watching what little I did from that era the Rams seem pretty far down the list on quality clubs to play in the big show. 

Haden's numbers were terrible even for the 70's. He was only playing because the owner (Rosenbloom) didn't like Jaworski or James Harris (he called them both derogatory racist names). I don't think they are in the SB with Haden.

Also, the next year (1980), Ferragamo had 30 TD passes, 19 INT, and 3,199 yards passing, leading the Rams to an 11-5 record before going to the CFL for the 1981 season.

8 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

As much as I loved this team, the 99 Titans probably have a good case for this. 

The most notable thing about this is that while the '99 Titans finished more than 3 wins better than their expected W-L, they didn't regress the following year. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Did they not finish 2-5 against teams with a winning record though? And both of the QBs they fielded seemed dreadful even for 1979 standards. Why did you think Ferragamo was better than Haden? They also finished with a -8 turnover differential. They made the Super Bowl, but didn't dominate Dallas or Tampa, and the entire NFC seemed fairly tame that year. No team even won more than 11 games. I don't know. You probably watched the games at the time, but just looking into it, and watching what little I did from that era the Rams seem pretty far down the list on quality clubs to play in the big show. 

You are right. That Super Bowl was supposed to be a bloodbath. The Steelers expected to roll over the Rams and while the Rams were well out-matched they played an incredibly inspired football game against what is arguably the greatest dynasty in league history, leading at half, leading in the fourth, shutting down the Steelers running game.  Bradshaw hit on a few huge throws and that was that. The Steel Curtain shut it down in the fourth and it was game over. Had the Rams won that game it would have gone down as the 2nd greatest upset in SB History, behind Super Bowl 3. 

On 5/18/2020 at 2:07 PM, August4th said:

since I've been watching

11 Giants

12 Ravens

08 Cards

I should remind you that the 12 Ravens defeated the heavily favored Manning led Broncos on the road and Brady's Patriots on the road to get to the Super Bowl. A team that can do that should never be considered a bad or lucky team. That Ravens team may have had a consistency issues through that season but got very hot at the right time!

• Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 1:00 PM, Jotun_Fan said:

What do you guys think are some of the worst teams to have played in the super bowl? I think we have a pretty good mix of older/younger posters and also people who watch a lot of games so I'm curious to see what people think. This list will probably have some recency bias as I think it's harder to make this list from times when fewer teams made the playoffs.

As a Giants fan, I think at least one of the following three of our super bowl teams would qualify for top ten worst out of a possible 108 teams: 2000, 2007, 2011. (do I have some reverse homerism or something?)

You can make a case for all three making the bottom ten, yet all three won. Truly strange. 

We could have a thread for the best team to lose the Super Bowl, but the 2007 Patriots team is pretty obvious. For second place, the 2000 Bills would get a long look.

J

On 5/19/2020 at 4:11 PM, INbengalfan said:

The 87 and 89 Broncos come to mind.  Above average teams all season, get hot in playoffs, then waxed in the SBs

I like these two picks right here. The Broncos defense was trash and they proved it in both these games. During the 1980s the AFC was completely useless for the most part and the Broncos were a very mediocre team with a horrendous defense, probably don't even make the playoffs in the NFC. 

That said, John Elway got that Flotsam & Jetsam to the big game twice, which is an amazing feat.

Edited by kwolf68