Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wcblack34

Vikings Super Bowl Win for 2020/21 Season

Recommended Posts

So let's just assume for a moment that this is not going to be a normal NFL season. The COVID19 Pandemic is going to have effects and ramifications for the season, and may very well put some teams at a competitive disadvantage. So for the sake of talking about something at this time of the year, how will you feel if the Vikings win the Super Bowl because of some strange circumstance beyond their control? 

A few circumstances to consider:

1- A team such as Tampa Bay, Green Bay or New Orleans loses to the Vikings in the playoffs because Brady/Brees/Rodgers contracts the virus 

2- Teams like San Francisco and the LA Rams don't get to play any home games because California won't allow it, and the Vikings beat them (perhaps SF/LA have lower seeding because they lost a couple games they could have arguably won at home)

3- The season is shortened by several games

4- Fewer teams for the playoffs because of corona concerns

5- Whatever else you can think of.

 

Personally, I'd love for them to win, but I want all things to be equal. I dislike asterisks. I also feel that fans of other teams (looking at you Cheeseheads) will use the circumstance to denigrate the victory. 

I'll still take a Lombardi Trophy tho...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd almost prefer that we don't win this year.  A 6-10 win season would be fine with me.  Get some nice draft picks next year and then win it all in a year or two when there won't be any need for an asterisk behind our name in the win column.  I want our first one to be 100% legitimate with no arguments from anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll take a win no matter how it comes.  No one cares that 2 of Washington's SB victories came in shortened seasons.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

boring day at the home office, lol...?

Yep.  I'm not sure if your question was addressed to wcblack34 or myself, but it's pretty quiet here.  I'm moving the office from a room on the second floor to my upstairs master bedroom, which is bigger.  Taking the occasional break between trips up and down the stairs.  :)

Edited by Uncle Buck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Yep.  I'm not sure if your question was addressed to wcblack34 or myself, but it's pretty quiet here.  I'm moving the office from a room on the second floor to my upstairs master bedroom, which is bigger.  Taking the occasional break between trips up and down the stairs.  :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

boring day at the home office, lol...?

Never...that's why I took a break to post something :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

So let's just assume for a moment that this is not going to be a normal NFL season. The COVID19 Pandemic is going to have effects and ramifications for the season, and may very well put some teams at a competitive disadvantage. So for the sake of talking about something at this time of the year, how will you feel if the Vikings win the Super Bowl because of some strange circumstance beyond their control? 

A few circumstances to consider:

1- A team such as Tampa Bay, Green Bay or New Orleans loses to the Vikings in the playoffs because Brady/Brees/Rodgers contracts the virus 

2- Teams like San Francisco and the LA Rams don't get to play any home games because California won't allow it, and the Vikings beat them (perhaps SF/LA have lower seeding because they lost a couple games they could have arguably won at home)

3- The season is shortened by several games

4- Fewer teams for the playoffs because of corona concerns

5- Whatever else you can think of.

 

Personally, I'd love for them to win, but I want all things to be equal. I dislike asterisks. I also feel that fans of other teams (looking at you Cheeseheads) will use the circumstance to denigrate the victory. 

I'll still take a Lombardi Trophy tho...

I think if things are even for both teams (shortened season, location-neutral games, etc.) then it's still a quality win and doesn't really deserve an asterisk. It's if say, Brees and Mahomes can't play due to the virus in the NFCCG and the Super Bowl then that would take away from the victory imo.

 

The same thing happened to the Toronto Raptors last season (I live in Toronto). The Raptors were a franchise starved for a championship, finally put together a championship-calibre roster, and made it through their conference fair and square. In the finals they played the Golden State Warriors, who previously were thought to be an unstoppable dynasty but they were so ravaged by injuries that the Raptors won with little sweat. Obviously it was great to win but anyone who followed the NBA knew that it was a very questionable statement to say they were the best team in the league that year.

 

"Luckily" the Vikings are in a little reset year so they are more playoff contenders than super bowl contenders but if they did "luck" their way to a super bowl win I'd be happy while understanding that circumstances were not normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know anyone who denigrates, or who have put an asterisk next to, the Redskins’ super bowl victories in ‘82 or ‘87. 

I doubt we see it with whoever wins in 2020. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t know anyone who denigrates, or who have put an asterisk next to, the Redskins’ super bowl victories in ‘82 or ‘87. 

I doubt we see it with whoever wins in 2020. 

But Giants fans aren't like Packer fans....haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

But Giants fans aren't like Packer fans....haha

Who really cares about what Packers' fans think?  Really, the only thing they've been able to hang over us in the last 20-30 years is that they've won the Super Bowl...otherwise, the Vikings' franchise hasn't really been all that far behind them, despite not having 2 back-to-back HOF QBs (the Packers have 34 wins more than the Vikings since 1992 and only 1 win more since Zimmer was hired).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

File this under nice problems to have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't care about the circumstances of a Super Bowl championship for the Vikings.  It could be caused by the other teams bus getting lost on the way to the stadium...I don't care.  I care that the big silver football is being presented by the commissioner to Zygi!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

I really don't care about the circumstances of a Super Bowl championship for the Vikings.  It could be caused by the other teams bus getting lost on the way to the stadium...I don't care.  I care that the big silver football is being presented by the commissioner to Zygi!!!!

If only the league would take Bud's advice and change the name of it to the Don Shula Trophy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×