Matt Ryan vs Big Ben

Chargers

I dunno man...I feel like by most objective, logical observations, Ryan looks like the better quarterback. But in his prime, even if it wasn't always pretty, Ben just had little bit of that...clutch/winner thing. Like, I've never been specifically scared of Matt Ryan with the ball of his hands in crunch time. In a broad sense, I've seen enough Packers defenses to know that I should be scared of ANY opposing player under center, even if it's the third string QB/backup punter. But Ryan specifically? Nah. Big Ben, Russell Wilson, and some others, yes.

• Like 6

Big Ben's career QB rating indoors is something like 103 or 104. Put him indoors at home for half his games as opposed to slop of winter AFC North football and take the Ravens out of his division for his career? You'd probably see a 3-4 point bump up in his career QB rating, and probably up there with Brees and Brady all time as far as QBR.

To me, it's Ben, pretty easily. The guy doesn't care about protecting his stats, all he cares about is making the big play at the right time to win the game. And he's done it better than damn near most everyone else in NFL history. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, LTF said:

Big Ben's career QB rating indoors is something like 103 or 104. Put him indoors at home for half his games as opposed to slop of winter AFC North football and take the Ravens out of his division for his career? You'd probably see a 3-4 point bump up in his career QB rating, and probably up there with Brees and Brady all time as far as QBR.

I feel like people MASSIVELY underrate the outdoors/elemental aspect when it comes to pretty pretty QB stats. Peyton, Brees, Ryan...they're always going to have a leg up by playing over half their games in cushy domes. When it comes to comparing across the board, I will ALWAYS give a heavy lean to guys like Rodgers, Brady, and Ben who do it outside in less than ideal weather.

4 hours ago, LTF said:

all he cares about is making the big play at the right time to win the game

I mean...

London's Best Burgers | 22 Truly Beautiful London Burgers

Giant Slice Pizza - Currituck Outer Banks

Jack Daniel's Old No 7 Tennessee Whiskey | Binny's Beverage Depot

The Party Girls of Coachella (86 pics) - Izismile.com

...I don't think it's the ONLY thing he cares about

• Like 2

Easily Big Ben in their prime and I’ll say now until Ben proves he’s can’t return from his injury. Matt Ryan ruined any chance he ever had to be placed into a conversation with Ben when he lost that Super Bowl while Ben was on the other side of such vs the Cardinals.

Big Ben will make the HOF, while Ryan was simply Hall of Very Good status. Even now when Ben is playing the Steelers are contenders. A lot of that is coaching, but a lot of that is also a guy having “the clutch gene” embedded within them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Easily Big Ben in their prime and I’ll say now until Ben proves he’s can’t return from his injury. Matt Ryan ruined any chance he ever had to be placed into a conversation with Ben when he lost that Super Bowl while Ben was on the other side of such vs the Cardinals.

Big Ben will make the HOF, while Ryan was simply Hall of Very Good status. Even now when Ben is playing the Steelers are contenders. A lot of that is coaching, but a lot of that is also a guy having “the clutch gene” embedded within them.

As much as I dislike Ben the human being and am not afraid to put that out there, you're absolutely right. Especially on the clutch thing. The guy has "it," he's gotten it done when the chips were down and Matt Ryan has the worst collapse in Super Bowl history to his name.

• Like 3

On 5/19/2020 at 12:23 PM, SpacemanSpiff said:

As much as I dislike Ben the human being and am not afraid to put that out there, you're absolutely right. Especially on the clutch thing. The guy has "it," he's gotten it done when the chips were down and Matt Ryan has the worst collapse in Super Bowl history to his name.

On 5/19/2020 at 1:21 PM, Ray Reed said:

It’s not close IMO.

Ive never thought in my life, “Oh no. We play Matt Ryan next week”.

This is Ben by a million to me

Yeah I’m easily taking Ben the player, stats don’t tell the whole story. 

You just couldn’t sack Big Ben either... I mean you COULD but you had to have multiple defenders to do it and they were in for a fight (I’m sure there’s an off color joke here regarding Big Ben and his alleged, well never mind) and this may sound disrespectful to Matt Ryan, but I’d put him closer to Joe Flacco than I would Big Ben. 

Controversial for many I’m sure, but if there was a scale where Ben was 10 and Flacco was 5, Ryan would be in the middle, but closer to a 7 than close to an 8; sort of like that one hypothetical thread that asks would you rather have Dak for record money or Andy Dalton for QB backup money. Many would choose Dalton for far less than Dak for far more. I would choose Flacco for far less than Ryan for far more (which is the exact scenario the Ravens found themselves within during that draft via draft capital); however if it were Big Ben (the player, not human) vs Flacco... I would be willing to pay the premium and bite the bullet for that “it factor” for this hypothetical franchise I’m building.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

Topic has been surmised perfectly. Ryan is probably the better passer of the ball, though his playing in the dome is likely a big factor in that. That said, though he has many 4QCBs, he simply does not scare you. Big Ben, plain and simple, scares you that he gives any team he's playing for a shot at winning, pretty stats or not.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Topic has been surmised perfectly. Ryan is probably the better passer of the ball, though his playing in the dome is likely a big factor in that. That said, though he has many 4QCBs, he simply does not scare you. Big Ben, plain and simple, scares you that he gives any team he's playing for a shot at winning, pretty stats or not.

Ryan has won games with some horrid, horrid teams and won games he had nor his team had any business in winning. People salivate at his weapons but don't forget he had a season where he had Harry Douglas as his #1 WR and made him a 1k receiver. Sure, he plays in a Dome but usually behind an terrible Oline. While Ben has had a very good/elite Oline for most of his career.

Big Ben hasn't scared me since 2010ish. Guy is pretty much always hampered by injuries that he decides to play through to show his thoughness while it hampers his effectiveness greatly.