Matt Ryan vs Big Ben

Chargers

1 hour ago, FalconFan13 said:

How you can watch that video and can excuse or say Freeman even remotely did his job on that play is baffling to me.   The guy didn't even block 1 person at all like it might be one of the worst wiffs i ever seen and he knew he screwed up right away as he turned around and started running back toward Ryan.  It was an awful job by Freeman and i actually agree freeman ran well that day and is why i blame shanny a ton.  Shanny had a RB going 5 ypc up by 25 points and refused to use him for the last 2 quarters to milk the clock and help the defense get some rest.  It's obviously me and you look at that play and possibly football in general completely different if you can't put like 99% of that plays destruction on Freeman and his non attempt of a block the guy literally just touched his back and kept on running lol.

Yes, in large part, Shanny and Freeman are absolutely responsible that for play and to downplay it is absurd. Not too mention the refs ignoring a blatant illegal 5 yard contact call against Chung. 

The TV version of the play that posted @diamondbull424 doesn't show what really happened. To say that Freeman and Shanny are not to blame is a big stretch.

Why it was on Shanny
First of all, it was a 3rd and 1 in the middle of the 3rd quarter with a 16 point lead, so why the hell are you calling a pass play is the first question. Worse, why are you calling a pass out of the shotgun with a 7-step drop? The only time you should call a play from that makes the QB drop that far back is for longer developing routes, so why the hell are you designing longer developing routes on a 3rd AND ONE?! And that's exactly what he did because he sent out 4 targets for Matt Ryan and all but one of them ran deep routes. 

Ryan's downfield targets on a 3rd and 1 were Julio, Gabriel, Sanu, and Cooper, and Sanu was the only short route out of all of them and that was STILL 5 yards past the LOS. The others were 1 go-route (Gabriel),  1 deep hitch 16 yards past the LOS (Hooper who was held the entire way up until his break) , and one 1 deep cross 16 yards past the LOS (Julio). 

Why it was Freeman's fault. 
The defense lined up tight and Gabriel went into motion before the snap and the defender followed him, which is a clear indication that it was man coverage across the board. This made it a 3x1 look with Copper lining up close to the strong side. Mind you, the defense had 4 down-lineman, with hands to ground so you know they are rushing, and two of them lined up in front Freeman. Meanwhile on his far right, there was 2 defenders, one was Chung ---who was obviously lined up in man coverage against Cooper, and the LB who was clearly the blitz. Freeman HAS to know this and recognize this pre-snap, but as you can clearly see, he doesn't even see him until it's too late. THAT's on him.  

EDIT THIS IS WHAT THE REAL PLAY LOOKS LIKE IN IT'S ENTIRETY (ALL-22) AND NOT JUST THE TV VERSION!

https://[LINK ERROR]/a9zxsv

^Ignore the "LINK ERROR" you should be able to view it. This site hates streamable links.

Edited by JustAnotherFan

15 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

FO OL rankings arent as strong as some other sites. For example, their pass block rating is simply sacks. Which a player like Ben is more likely to have more of since he is not afraid to hold onto the ball. 

I like FO because are solid but they aren't strong at all when it comes to OL rankings. Even by their own admission. Their ranking are largely based on the performance of the RB's themselves. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Yes, in large part, Shanny and Freeman are absolutely responsible that for play and to downplay it is absurd. Not too mention the refs ignoring a blatant illegal 5 yard contact call against Chung. 

The TV version of the play that posted @diamondbull424 doesn't show what really happened. To say that Freeman and Shanny are not to blame is a big stretch.

Why it was on Shanny
First of all, it was a 3rd and 1 in the middle of the 3rd quarter with a 16 point lead, so why the hell are you calling a pass play is the first question. Worse, why are you calling a pass out of the shotgun with a 7-step drop? The only time you should call a play from that makes the QB drop that far back is for longer developing routes, so why the hell are you designing longer developing routes on a 3rd AND ONE?! And that's exactly what he did because he sent out 4 targets for Matt Ryan and all but one of them ran deep routes. 

Ryan's downfield targets on a 3rd and 1 were Julio, Gabriel, Sanu, and Cooper, and Sanu was the only short route out of all of them and that was STILL 5 yards past the LOS. The others were 1 go-route (Gabriel),  1 deep hitch 16 yards past the LOS (Hooper who was held the entire way up until his break) , and one 1 deep cross 16 yards past the LOS (Julio). 

Why it was Freeman's fault. 
The defense lined up tight and Gabriel went into motion before the snap and the defender followed him, which is a clear indication that it was man coverage across the board. This made it a 3x1 look with Copper lining up close to the strong side. Mind you, the defense had 4 down-lineman, with hands to ground so you know they are rushing, and two of them lined up in front Freeman. Meanwhile on his far right, there was 2 defenders, one was Chung ---who was obviously lined up in man coverage against Cooper, and the LB who was clearly the blitz. Freeman HAS to know this and recognize this pre-snap, but as you can clearly see, he doesn't even see him until it's too late. THAT's on him.  

EDIT THIS IS WHAT THE REAL PLAY LOOKS LIKE IN IT'S ENTIRETY (ALL-22) AND NOT JUST THE TV VERSION!

^Ignore the "LINK ERROR" you should be able to view it. This site hates streamable links.

So all that to excuse Matt Ryan of something that is clearly also his fault? No one said Shanahan wasn’t clutch and Freeman didn’t blow his block by at least getting a hand on his guy. But with that entire dissertation you missed the last section for:

Why was it Matt Ryan’s fault. 😂 (no bias much?)

He’s a veteran QB that had just won the MVP and as opposed to, IDK, seeing that the play called by Shanahan wasn’t an ideal fit for the scenario that the defense presented and going to an audible... he stayed in phase. He didn’t adjust any of the routes to a hot route with shorter depth.

But what’s more just like you broke it down, it’s man coverage with one short route. If he sees that and the blitz look, his pre-snap checkdown route is CLEARLY Sanu on the out route. Once he sees inside leverage by the defender, that ball should be darting towards the sideline for an easy completion. He has enough time to make that read and get the ball out. If Sanu drops it then we could make another section titled:

Why it was Sanu’s fault.

If Shanahan calls a run play, that NE blitz has a shot at stopping that as well based off that chosen blitz.

You don’t need an All-22 footage to show that Ryan is also at fault for his poor pre-snap recognition, pocket presence, and ball security. I mean he never even LOOKS at Sanu. He also doesn’t even feel the pressure coming from his non-blindside to at worst eat the sack.

All veteran QBs have made mistakes to some degree in some big game or another, but that one was rookie QB level, and to me, was “not clutch” at best and “meltdown” level at worst. Watching the game, to me, it felt like he was melting down and letting the pressure get to him. No way I’m picking Matt Ryan over Big Ben in a “who scares me the most” with one minute left in the game contest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

How you can watch that video and can excuse or say Freeman even remotely did his job on that play is baffling to me.   The guy didn't even block 1 person at all like it might be one of the worst wiffs i ever seen and he knew he screwed up right away as he turned around and started running back toward Ryan.  It was an awful job by Freeman and i actually agree freeman ran well that day and is why i blame shanny a ton.  Shanny had a RB going 5 ypc up by 25 points and refused to use him for the last 2 quarters to milk the clock and help the defense get some rest.  It's obviously me and you look at that play and possibly football in general completely different if you can't put like 99% of that plays destruction on Freeman and his non attempt of a block the guy literally just touched his back and kept on running lol.

Find me where I said those words and I’ll find you a million dollars.

You can’t do it. I said that if you go by stats only then Freeman had a good game.

I also said that the FUMBLE was not on Freeman. The RB missing a block is the fault of the running back. Heck maybe if it were a quick three step drop and the QB is already getting creamed I would say fault of the RB, but in that situation Ryan had enough time to target his checkdown route to Sanu, but didn’t. He also fumbled from the pressure on his non-blindside. His poor pocket awareness and poor pre-snap decision making led to the fumble.

So no I don’t put 99% of the play’s end result on the RB, who did not have the ball in his hands to fumble it away. I put roughly 60% of the blame on Ryan for everything I’ve mentioned, 20% of the blame on Freeman for a terrible attempt at a block that regardless of the fumble was ultimately going to get his QB killed, and 20% of the play on Shanahan for “getting cute” with his playcalling... which has become a habit to this point in his career. But as the guy holding onto the ball the fumble (not just taking a sack) is the fault of Ryan for not adjusting the play in any way considering the scenario. Heck we’ve also seen QBs call TOs in big time conversion moments when the playcall was not ideal. 

20 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

He’s a veteran QB that had just won the MVP and as opposed to, IDK, seeing that the play called by Shanahan wasn’t an ideal fit for the scenario that the defense presented and going to an audible... he stayed in phase. He didn’t adjust any of the routes to a hot route with shorter depth.

And who's to say that he didn't advocate for a play call at the line? We don't know that. All we can do is base it on what actually happened.

But what’s more just like you broke it down, it’s man coverage with one short route. If he sees that and the blitz look, his pre-snap checkdown route is CLEARLY Sanu on the out route. Once he sees inside leverage by the defender, that ball should be darting towards the sideline for an easy completion.

What easy completion? He was covered? Did you actually watch the play from the all-22 view that I posted? 

He has enough time to make that read and get the ball out.

Again, Shanny called a 7-step drop with all but one outlet in his play-calling on a 3rd and 1 play late in the 3rd Q. So now you expect the QB to just ignore the head coach? That's ridiculous man.

If Shanahan calls a run play, that NE blitz has a shot at stopping that as well based off that chosen blitz.

IF--we can play this if game both ways. Such as , IF Cooper isn't held the entire 16 yards downfield he could have been open and we wouldn't be having this convo in the first place. Or, better yet, IF the refs call it then we wouldn't be having this convo either.

You don’t need an All-22 footage to show that Ryan is also at fault for his poor pre-snap recognition, pocket presence, and ball security. 

Ryan not holding onto the ball is one thing. That's on him. I haven't refuted that part. I've refuted the parts that led to it. 

I mean he never even LOOKS at Sanu

And what are you basing this on? TV? You can follow his eyes or what?

So more "What if" scenario's. Gotcha. So what if, Freeman make the block that he designed to make and Ran doesn't get sacked and he throw it dep to Gabriel on the go-route and it goes for 6 points? See how this works. 

All veteran QBs have made mistakes to some degree in some big game or another, but that one was rookie QB level, and to me, was “not clutch” at best and “meltdown” level at worst. Watching the game, to me, it felt like he was melting down and letting the pressure get to him. No way I’m picking Matt Ryan over Big Ben in a “who scares me the most” with one minute left in the game contest. 

Just to be clear. I hear what your saying. But IMO, that game was all on coaching and I'm a Bears fan so I have no dog in this fight at all. I'm just calling it like I see it.     

Edited by JustAnotherFan

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

And who's to say that he didn't advocate for a play call at the line? We don't know that. All we can do is base it on what actually happened.

Yeah and what happened is Matt Ryan fumbled the ball all of his own accord. Shanahan didn’t go on the field and swat the ball out of his hand with a stick... though using this excuse logic for all we know maybe Shanahan told him to fumble it to make the game more interesting.

5 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

What easy completion? He was covered? Did you actually watch the play from the all-22 view that posted? 

If it doesn’t get completed, he at least forces the ref to consider a DPI call there for the jersey tugging. But all-22 makes it even more clear that it’s Ryan’s fault. Defender is CLEARLY playing inside leverage against Sanu and is playing the slant route. And Sanu is running an out route. If Ryan releases the ball to a spot, Sanu is the only one that can get it. Instead he’s praying for daylight as he waits for that long developing route to finally open up (it did... after he got plastered)... which considering his pre-snap look, made sense.

9 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Again, Shanny called a 7-step drop with all but one outlet in his play-calling. So now you expect the QB to just ignore the head coach? That's ridiculous man.

No. I expect the QB to target that outlet. Worst case it doesn’t get completed and NE gets the ball pinned likely within the 10-20 yard line (outside of a special teams blunder). Best case you get a completion and then go on to kill another 2 minutes off the clock with another series of downs.

12 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

IF--we can play this if game both ways. Such as , IF Cooper isn't held the entire 16 yards downfield he could have been open and we wouldn't be having this convo in the first place. Or, better yet, IF the refs call it then we wouldn't be having this convo either.

IF you leave the game in the refs hands, especially against the Patriots, you will lose. I could go back to the Ravens 2011 AFCCG loss to them and surely point out instances where the refs could have made one call or another. Why can’t I remember them outright? Because the Patriots under BB/Brady were Thanos and the refs were their Infinity Gauntlet... you swing for the head or watch as your only hope gets erased. A clean death was the only way to put them down.

19 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Ryan not holding onto the ball is one thing. That's on him. I haven't refuted that part. I've refuted the parts that led to it. 

Okay well at least you’re acknowledging SOME blame against Ryan, which is an improvement over the other guy. Beyond that, he had a checkdown and didn’t consider it nor feel the pocket collapse. He had about 2.5 seconds to get the ball out as I see the snap come and hit his hands right around 9 seconds on the video. He then gets rocked right before it switches to 12 seconds. Worst case he has 2.5 seconds, best case he’s got roughly 2.7 seconds. That was enough time to target Sanu. Regardless of optimal playcall or not, there were options that a better pre-snap read would’ve allowed for.

33 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

And what are you basing this on? TV? You can follow his eyes or what?

Based on the fact that it was his outlet receiver, he had the leverage in his favor, he had a blitz and his helmet was at an angle as to where he appears to be looking deep and his body motion also seemed to suggest he was targeting the deep ball... but hey I suppose we would need to interview Matt Ryan to find out what was going on there... heck why do we even watch football then if we really need an interview to breakdown what’s happening on TV. Sounds like TV is quite pointless considering.

38 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

So more "What if" scenario's. Gotcha. So what if, Freeman make the block that he designed to make and Ran doesn't get sacked and he throw it dep to Gabriel on the go-route and it goes for 6 points? See how this works. 

Did you literally just quote my same statement twice and then say “another what if scenario” as if I stated it a few times. 😂

I mean, what if you had only quoted that portion of my post once and not twice, perhaps I could’ve addressed this portion earlier in the post vs me virtually ignoring your content here so as to reread my post to see if I was redundant enough to literally say the same thing twice... I had to get my time back somehow.

41 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Just to be clear. I hear what your saying. But IMO, that game was all on coaching and I'm a Bears fan so I have no dog in this fight at all. I'm just calling it like I see it.  

Cool beans. You’re a Bears fan. I’m a Ravens fan. I have no bigger dog in this fight than you. Yet the fault of Ryan in this play are obvious. Removing all what ifs from the scenario, Matt Ryan was the one who fumbled the ball away even though there were clear and obvious indicators that told him he wasn’t likely going to have enough time on the play. There were also indicators to tell him he needed to feel the pressure and get the ball out when he felt the pocket closing in... he didn’t feel that pressure. Even if the Freeman picks up Hightower, the left tackle was letting a defender in that would’ve been there for the hit before that long winding passing motion Ryan used completed. I mean Goku would’ve completed his first Super Saiyan transformation against Frieza before Ryan completes that passing motion.

If you think Ryan did a great job on that play, then I suppose that’s your prerogative. I won’t argue this post any further. Clearly you see this play vastly different than I do if you believe the fumble is the only component of blame that can be attributed to a veteran QB.

16 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

You can’t do it. I said that if you go by stats only then Freeman had a good game.

I also said that the FUMBLE was not on Freeman. The RB missing a block is the fault of the running back. Heck maybe if it were a quick three step drop and the QB is already getting creamed I would say fault of the RB, but in that situation Ryan had enough time to target his checkdown route to Sanu, but didn’t. He also fumbled from the pressure on his non-blindside. His poor pocket awareness and poor pre-snap decision making led to the fumble.

So no I don’t put 99% of the play’s end result on the RB, who did not have the ball in his hands to fumble it away. I put roughly 60% of the blame on Ryan for everything I’ve mentioned, 20% of the blame on Freeman for a terrible attempt at a block that regardless of the fumble was ultimately going to get his QB killed, and 20% of the play on Shanahan for “getting cute” with his playcalling... which has become a habit to this point in his career. But as the guy holding onto the ball the fumble (not just taking a sack) is the fault of Ryan for not adjusting the play in any way considering the scenario. Heck we’ve also seen QBs call TOs in big time conversion moments when the playcall was not ideal. 

Then my friend i don't know what to tell you because we see this play and im guessing football in general completely different.  Ryan actually had a WR running downfield wide open leaving his guy and thats who he was throwing it too.  If Freeman even stalls the guy for a second that play is for sure a 1st down and quite possibly a TD with the cushion he had on the CB.   With that said theirs no reason to argue it against each other because we obviously view football way differently and it would just be wasting our time going back and forth for no reason.

Matty Ice was an MVP that season with a nearly unstoppable offense, playing in the super bowl with a nice lead. Anyone in that scenario has to trust their genius OC to put them in the right position to win (whether or not he actually is). The trust has to be there. You don’t just change the playcall at the line because you don’t agree with your coach. And as much crap Kyle got for calling a pass instead of a run (deservedly so), the play itself worked. Just wasn’t executed well by all the blockers. 

Unless the guy is pulling a Danny Dimes (where he consistently can’t hold onto the ball) or a Vick (careless ball carrying)  I’m not going to really fault the QB for a strip sack, especially off the blindside in mid-throwing motion. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 9:23 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Matty Ice was an MVP that season with a nearly unstoppable offense, playing in the super bowl with a nice lead. Anyone in that scenario has to trust their genius OC to put them in the right position to win (whether or not he actually is). The trust has to be there. You don’t just change the playcall at the line because you don’t agree with your coach. And as much crap Kyle got for calling a pass instead of a run (deservedly so), the play itself worked. Just wasn’t executed well by all the blockers. 

Unless the guy is pulling a Danny Dimes (where he consistently can’t hold onto the ball) or a Vick (careless ball carrying)  I’m not going to really fault the QB for a strip sack, especially off the blindside in mid-throwing motion. 

Not only that but Shanny has been called out a few times now on his play calling style and i think even he himself says he calls plays like this so it won't get changed or have time to get changed as much.

Quote from Ryan on the SB

Looking back, Ryan pointed to the cadence of Shanahan's calls as one of the big reasons for the Falcons' collapse. 

"Kyle's play calls -- he would take time to get stuff in. As I was getting it, you're looking at the clock and you're talking 16 seconds before it cuts out. You don't have a lot of time to say, 'There's 16 seconds, no, no, no, we're not going to do that. Hey, guys, we're going to line up and run this.' You're talking about breaking the huddle at seven seconds if you do something along the lines.

"With the way Kyle's system was set up, he took more time to call plays and we shift and motion a lot more than we did with (former coordinator) Dirk (Koetter). You couldn't get out of stuff like that. We talk about being the most aggressive team in football. And I'm all for it. But there's also winning time. You're not being aggressive not running it there." 

Shanny at times and most of the time is a genius but he also thinks extremely highly of himself and doesn't want anyone messing with his offense including his QB. 

On 30/05/2020 at 7:06 AM, JustAnotherFan said:

Ryan was properly looking for the kill shot there. The 9 route which did become open after developing. Still though, it's a bad play call given the situation, as you say. We couldn't stop a nose bleed up the middle all day. I can only assume coaches do this sort of stuff with us because they think we've keyed on and addressed stuff that has hurt us during the game, and they're trying to stay on top of us. But it ends up with forcing bad plays. 

• Like 1

On 30/05/2020 at 8:18 AM, diamondbull424 said:

I don't know how MR doesn't adjust SOMETHING with that look we gave them there. It was telegraphed pressure from [their] right, with man coverage across. I guess MR thought he has sufficient blocking with RB kept in (in this sense, he had every right to expect better of Freeman, who didn't do his job), but yeah - call some damned hot routes. It's 3rd and nothing with a huge lead late in a SB - change that to a run to the left, change to comeback routes at the down-line, change to rubs close in......get the yards, kick the FG, win the superbowl

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 6:23 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

I don't know how MR doesn't adjust SOMETHING with that look we gave them there. It was telegraphed pressure from [their] right, with man coverage across. I guess MR thought he has sufficient blocking with RB kept in (in this sense, he had every right to expect better of Freeman, who didn't do his job), but yeah - call some damned hot routes. It's 3rd and nothing with a huge lead late in a SB - change that to a run to the left, change to comeback routes at the down-line, change to rubs close in......get the yards, kick the FG, win the superbowl

Agree completely. I mean if MR was a rookie or maybe within his first few years in the league with less command of NFL offenses to make such changes, then sure, I’m with everyone... especially if it’s a veteran RB protecting his young QB. But like you said, there were too many options at his disposal for him not to be most blamed for that plays end result.

I mean like you said it was telegraphed pressure and you know NE needs to be aggressive to get back into the game. I’m all for taking a deep shot there, but you don’t need all but one route going deep.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 3:01 AM, FalconFan13 said:

Not only that but Shanny has been called out a few times now on his play calling style and i think even he himself says he calls plays like this so it won't get changed or have time to get changed as much.

Quote from Ryan on the SB

Looking back, Ryan pointed to the cadence of Shanahan's calls as one of the big reasons for the Falcons' collapse. 

"Kyle's play calls -- he would take time to get stuff in. As I was getting it, you're looking at the clock and you're talking 16 seconds before it cuts out. You don't have a lot of time to say, 'There's 16 seconds, no, no, no, we're not going to do that. Hey, guys, we're going to line up and run this.' You're talking about breaking the huddle at seven seconds if you do something along the lines.

"With the way Kyle's system was set up, he took more time to call plays and we shift and motion a lot more than we did with (former coordinator) Dirk (Koetter). You couldn't get out of stuff like that. We talk about being the most aggressive team in football. And I'm all for it. But there's also winning time. You're not being aggressive not running it there." 

Shanny at times and most of the time is a genius but he also thinks extremely highly of himself and doesn't want anyone messing with his offense including his QB. 

So I’m confused what this means. Is he referencing the play at hand? Because he must be misremembering the play since they were lined up and the ball was snapped with, IIRC from the video, over 20 seconds left on the play clock... which equals plenty of time to make some adjustments.