SnoopDogg

Who's the MJ of Football?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the MJ of Football?

• Tom Brady
    • Jerry Rice
    • Other (explain)

24 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Probably the guy who has the same amount of rings as Michael and is easily the most famous player in his sport and has an argument for most famous athlete in the country 

He has the best case of any player currently in the NFL (and possibly ever), but still falls WELL short of MJ when it comes to the level of mainstream pop culture icon he is, the cult and fanbase that surrounded him, and continues to do so today.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

He has the best case of any player currently in the NFL (and possibly ever), but still falls WELL short of MJ when it comes to the level of mainstream pop culture icon he is, the cult and fanbase that surrounded him, and continues to do so today.

I think this illustrates how no NFL player will ever catch up to MJ. Brady is probably the closest thing we'll see to MJ, and he doesn't even get close.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

One side note (and maybe this branches into the next discussion in this thread): Had Michael Vick not got in trouble with the dog fighting scandal, I think he'd be considered. Not saying from the ring aspect (but if he could find that Football IQ and work ethic he showed in Philly earlier in his career when he was at his peak athletically, who knows) but he was turning into a cultural phenomenon - people were tuning in to watch the Michael Vick Experience, his shoe was selling hot for a long time, he was a human highlight reel who was making incredible runs on a weekly basis - he had the makings of a potential superstar in the eyes of fans, marketing was going crazy putting him on everything, and he was actually winning football games for a while.

Vick has nobody to blame but himself, but he was trending in the right direction before the dog killing scandal hit.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

One side note (and maybe this branches into the next discussion in this thread): Had Michael Vick not got in trouble with the dog fighting scandal, I think he'd be considered. Not saying from the ring aspect (but if he could find that Football IQ and work ethic he showed in Philly earlier in his career when he was at his peak athletically, who knows) but he was turning into a cultural phenomenon - people were tuning in to watch the Michael Vick Experience, his shoe was selling hot for a long time, he was a human highlight reel who was making incredible runs on a weekly basis - he had the makings of a potential superstar in the eyes of fans, marketing was going crazy putting him on everything, and he was actually winning football games for a while.

Vick has nobody to blame but himself, but he was trending in the right direction before the dog killing scandal hit.

Eh...I mean it's another interesting name to consider, but I still think it's a HUGE leap to bridge the gap that existed, both on and off the field.

Really, I think there are so many factors inherent in the game of football, and the climate of the country today vs in the 90s. I think the context of the late 80s/early 90s matters a lot: The rise and crossover to the mainstream of hip-hop, the increasing profitability/visibility/commercialization of sports, TV broadcasts going nationwide more and more, the league coming off a successful decade of Bird v. Magic, the popularity of ESPN, I mean I feel like I could go on and on, you can't even just point to a few isolated things.

It's just a different world now, and football is just SUCH a different sport in so many aspects, it's just impossible to compare.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

There’s no way it’s not Brady.

Being Jordan isn't just having the most titles.

Michael Jordan was also the most exciting athlete of all-time.  He was not only the best but also the guy who everyone wanted to watch.  Tom Brady doesn't have that sort of appeal.  I don't think we have had a Michael Jordan of the NFL at the QB position.  It would require not only a QB to win a lot of titles but to also be the most exciting athlete in sports.

• Like 6

There is no Michael Jordan of football, a basketball player can influence the game more than a football player can, plus Jordan was and still is a massive global icon and legend but if I had to pick who the closest one is, it's Brady. If, and this is one HUGE if, Mahomes can win 3 more titles while being the exciting human highlight reel that he is, he'd probably take that crown. I'd say that MJ's persona, aura, mystique or whatever you want to call it will likely never be touched by an NFL player.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 8:34 PM, ET80 said:

Completely agree with you. I was gonna bring this up but I saw you already did, & you worded your post better than I could have. Vick had that type of “WOW” factor & cult following you need to be mentioned in this type of conversation. He was doing things no one had ever done before. It would take this type of unique talent & swagger, along with a bunch of championships ....  to ever be considered “Jordanesque”

On 5/20/2020 at 10:38 PM, VanS said:

Being Jordan isn't just having the most titles.

Michael Jordan was also the most exciting athlete of all-time.  He was not only the best but also the guy who everyone wanted to watch.  Tom Brady doesn't have that sort of appeal.  I don't think we have had a Michael Jordan of the NFL at the QB position.  It would require not only a QB to win a lot of titles but to also be the most exciting athlete in sports.

Bingo!!!!!!! Well said.

I think it would have to be an extremely athletic QB who was a dual threat & incredibly exciting to watch. He’d have to take over games and be impossible to stop. He’d basically have to have a superman affect on people.. (as well as win a bunch of rings). And then he’d have to have a marketable personality to be loved worldwide....

I don’t think this will ever happen..

2 hours ago, Plat2 said:

There is no Michael Jordan of football, a basketball player can influence the game more than a football player can, plus Jordan was and still is a massive global icon and legend ...

I'd say that MJ's persona, aura, mystique or whatever you want to call it will likely never be touched by an NFL player.

Definitely agree. And one other note is that watching basketball is much more personal. The players aren’t wearing a helmet. You get to see every expression & closeups of the player all game. So it’s easier to feel closer to them. . Plus there’s also more opportunities to be creative & artistic in basketball. 

Edited by Trubiskytime
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Mahomes easy. Could even do a baseball angle with him and his dad.

I heard that they were planning on moving forward with a Muppets Meet Football crossover with Mahomes in the Jordan role, but test audiences couldn't tell the difference Patrick and some of the other voices so they axed it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LeonKennedy said:

Which player would have the best chance of starring in a NFL-themed Space Jam spinoff?

If we can include recent history, it EASILY would've been Peyton. Most recognizable, great player, well-liked.

• Like 1