SnoopDogg

Who's the MJ of Football?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the MJ of Football?

• Tom Brady
    • Jerry Rice
    • Other (explain)

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

There isn’t one. Single players can’t dominate, have that amount of success, and then have that lion’s share of credit in football the way Jordan had it in basketball.

This. Now if you want ask this question in the Other Sports Forum where Golf or Tennis might be discussed by all means.

Then you'll hear names like Tiger, Jack, Roger , Rafa and Pete. 🍺

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

This. Now if you want ask this question in the Other Sports Forum where Golf or Tennis might be discussed by all means.

Then you'll hear names like Tiger, Jack, Roger , Rafa and Pete. 🍺

Exactly, if those sports had the same fan base as that of basketball or football, I’m sure there names would be more thrown around in these comparisons. Football is perhaps the furthest sport from individuality (at least in the US). 

Is it possible in hockey/soccer? Don’t really follow them and only recognize a small handful of names.

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not sure I can let that one slide. There are strong arguments for both Kareem and Lebron here.

There isn't a direct comparison in football. One player can't have that same level of impact regardless of how dominant they are individually. 

Players like this exist but are rare. Mahomes comes immediately to mind. Peyton Manning comes to mind. The Colts completely fell apart when he was unavailable for them. I've seen a fair number of stout defenses completely fall apart before, too. The Bears defenses would always drop when their man Mike Brown would go down back in the mid-00s. 

I would say in football you just tend to feel it more when someone is not there than someone is. 

Patrick Lavon Mahomes II. If Dee Ford doesn't line up 3 yards offsides he beats Brady and is a champion in his first year. Either way he's got a perfect record in the SB which is what you need to be mentioned in the same breath as MJ.

Just now, Kirill said:

Patrick Lavon Mahomes II. If Dee Ford doesn't line up 3 yards offsides he beats Brady and is a champion in his first year. Either way he's got a perfect record in the SB which is what you need to be mentioned in the same breath as MJ.

You know, you might be exactly right if things keep going the way they've been going for Pat so far in the league. He'd have to do what he's been doing for like -- four-five more years, though.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kirill said:

The Chiefs might of choked against the Rams in that SB! So Mahomes wasn't guaranteed any kind of a Ring except maybe the AFCCG version. They sure as hell give up more the 3 points with that year's Chiefs Defense! Just saying.

I know you're excited but Temper down with the Mahomes Cool aide just a tad.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kirill said:

It must suck knowing the most Mahomes can ever be is the 2nd greatest of all time

If we get 15 year of Patrick Mahomes then it will be him.

Brady has the rings and all the stats, clearly the greatest resume of all time.... but he isn't that athletic freak type player. You don't get that wow factor from watching him. He's never been close to being the best athlete on the field. Of course you don't have to be when playing QB, but with Mahomes (or even Rodgers) you get that type of feeling that you're watching something special.

• Like 1

I've seen a comparison made where Brady is to MJ what Rodgers/Mahomes is to LeBron. No idea what that's supposed to mean though, maybe the scientist vs experiment type of thing.

It can't be a WR, no matter how great he is. What's the maximum a WR touches a ball in his peak/greatest game of all time - 15-20? Pathetic when you consider it relatively - I bet MJ had the ball 90% of all build-ups/attacking phases.

At least the QB has the ball every single play and calls all the shots. He even communicates, makes calls and delivers the ball when he's not a part of the actual play design. It can ONLY ever be a QB if it can be anything at all.....which it can't, really. No comparison.

13 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

It's really not possible to look at "The Michael Jordan of Football" because I think football and basketball, especially in recent years, don't have the same history. When I think of The Michael Jordan, I'm thinking of social impact too. The media impact. The total cult of personality, the brand. Football became a more widely popular American sport long before basketball did. Michael Jordan became the literal face of basketball and helped popularize the sport worldwide, and I think that was because of the media market of the the came up and where the sport was at when he arrived. I think we'd have to go a lot further back in the NFL's history to find the true "Michael Jordan" of football because that person would have to be a player who helped bring the sport along onto the national stage. I'm not sure who that effectively is, but I'm sure older members of the forum could help weigh in on that!

I think Tom Brady, of the two you mentioned, probably have the best case, especially given the TB12 brand he's trying to establish and all of that. Plus, six rings doesn't hurt to help draw the line. 

Still, football was established and popularized well before Brady. So I don't think it QUITE compares. We still have yet to see the player who takes American football global, surprisingly.

There are so many people whose interest in football begins and ends with Tom Brady and his Patriots, he's definitely got that cult of personality/face of the sport angle covered.

5 hours ago, Kirill said:

Oh God, the 6-0 in championships argument. The dumbest argument in sports.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Oh God, the 6-0 in championships argument. The dumbest argument in sports.

It really is.

It's entirely conceivable that without changing a single thing Tom Brady did in all 9 of his Super Bowl appearances that he could have a 1-8 record. Alternatively he could have a 9-0 record.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not sure I can let that one slide. There are strong arguments for both Kareem and Lebron here.

There isn't a direct comparison in football. One player can't have that same level of impact regardless of how dominant they are individually. 

Kareem, I can see.  I don't agree, but I can see the argument for Cap.  But Lebron?  Nope.