SnoopDogg

Who's the MJ of Football?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the MJ of Football?

• Tom Brady
    • Jerry Rice
    • Other (explain)

1 hour ago, Plat2 said:

You make valid points on almost all of them, like I said when it comes to comparing or making a list like this its going to be extremely subjective. I gotta disagree with Phelps though, having 28 olympic medals is absolutely insane and dominant, no matter how you put it.

Ali is on top of my list, his resume is just legendary beating all of the top heavyweights when it was at its strongest era. He beat some of the greatest heavyweights in Frazier twice, Foreman, Liston, Quarry twice (43-5-4), Floyd Patterson twice (43-4), Ken Norton 3 times (29-1) and I could keep going...his boxing record is just stacked with all time greats and he beat them all.

Ali is probably the greatest heavyweight boxer of all time, although Joe Louis has a case too. If we're talking pound-for-pound then many people would disagree that Ali is the consensus GOAT. Ali has the global icon status, but other boxers in different weight classes have been as dominant or more dominant.  

7 hours ago, Plat2 said:

You make valid points on almost all of them, like I said when it comes to comparing or making a list like this its going to be extremely subjective. I gotta disagree with Phelps though, having 28 olympic medals is absolutely insane and dominant, no matter how you put it.

Ali is on top of my list, his resume is just legendary beating all of the top heavyweights when it was at its strongest era. He beat some of the greatest heavyweights in Frazier twice, Foreman, Liston, Quarry twice (43-5-4), Floyd Patterson twice (43-4), Ken Norton 3 times (29-1) and I could keep going...his boxing record is just stacked with all time greats and he beat them all.

Unless you're separating heavyweight from the other weightclasses, Ali's grip on the GOAT status is tenuous at best. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Unless you're separating heavyweight from the other weightclasses, Ali's grip on the GOAT status is tenuous at best. 

Ali is a sport with a much longer history. Louis and Robinson are the only real contenders. Only one is in his weight class (aka you can go pound for pound if you want but in real life Ali would beat the hell out of Robinson and I’m pretty sure you aren’t taking basketball players and adjusting by size to judge them) and the other was in his prime in the 30’s before the NBA was a thing. 

MJ has comparisons in Kareem and Lebron who both player in the decades before and after him 

8 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Ali is a sport with a much longer history. Louis and Robinson are the only real contenders. Only one is in his weight class (aka you can go pound for pound if you want but in real life Ali would beat the hell out of Robinson and I’m pretty sure you aren’t taking basketball players and adjusting by size to judge them) and the other was in his prime in the 30’s before the NBA was a thing. 

MJ has comparisons in Kareem and Lebron who both player in the decades before and after him 

Boxing has weight classes. Take it up with the sport.

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Boxing has weight classes. Take it up with the sport.

Okay.... so if Ali fights Robinson who wins? It’s Ali. Unless you want to compare Jordan to the best WNBA player. And if you don’t, take it up with the sport 

Edited by lancerman

12 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Okay.... so if Ali fights Robinson who wins? It’s Ali. Unless you want to compare Jordan to the best WNBA player. And if you don’t, take it up with the sport 

If you consider the let weight classes to be inferior divisions, that's fine, but that's a diversion from the way GOAT comparisons are generally conducted. Tyson Fury would dominate Ali, but nobody is going to make a GOAT claim for Fury.

51 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If you consider the let weight classes to be inferior divisions, that's fine, but that's a diversion from the way GOAT comparisons are generally conducted. Tyson Fury would dominate Ali, but nobody is going to make a GOAT claim for Fury.

Who the **** has Fury beat? Older washed up Klitchko? Wilder who can’t throw a proper jab? 

Ali has Liston, Patterson, Frazier, Norton, Foreman on his resume. 

Just now, lancerman said:

Who the **** has Fury beat? Older washed up Klitchko? Wilder who can’t throw a proper jab? 

Ali has Liston, Patterson, Frazier, Norton, Foreman on his resume. 

Dude, Ali was fighting at like 6'3 235. 

Ali would be giving up more size to Fury than he would have over Robinson.

That's before we start talking about 40 years of training, technique, and strategy improvements.

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Dude, Ali was fighting at like 6'3 235. 

Ali would be giving up more size to Fury than he would have over Robinson.

That's before we start talking about 40 years of training, technique, and strategy improvements.

Okay and Jordan didn’t have a great 3 point shot and this is an era where you need a 3 point shot. 

And Fury still isn’t beating Ali. He has better a resume than Fury, he’s much harder hitter, his stamina is unreal in a more brutal era. 

16 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Okay and Jordan didn’t have a great 3 point shot and this is an era where you need a 3 point shot. 

And Fury still isn’t beating Ali. He has better a resume than Fury, he’s much harder hitter, his stamina is unreal in a more brutal era. 

1. Dude I'm not a Jordan stan and think anybody who dismisses Kareem and LeBron out of hand is a moron. 

2. Even with a lack of a 3 point shot, Jordan was still putting up scoring efficiency levels on par with current elite scorers. 

3. No **** Ali has a better resume than Fury. That doesn't mean Ali would have a chance. And the idea that Ali is a harder hitter than a guy he's 50 pounds lighter than is ridiculous. Fury may be the best mover in the heavyweight division since Ali, and he does it at a range that makes things incredibly difficult for guys significantly longer than Ali.

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

1. Dude I'm not a Jordan stan and think anybody who dismisses Kareem and LeBron out of hand is a moron. 

2. Even with a lack of a 3 point shot, Jordan was still putting up scoring efficiency levels on par with current elite scorers. 

3. No **** Ali has a better resume than Fury. That doesn't mean Ali would have a chance. And the idea that Ali is a harder hitter than a guy he's 50 pounds lighter than is ridiculous. Fury may be the best mover in the heavyweight division since Ali, and he does it at a range that makes things incredibly difficult for guys significantly longer than Ali.

Again who has Fury best that was relevant that wasn’t old and past his prime OR a fighter who had serious flaws in his game his whole career? 

He’s bigger than Ali. Ali’s beat bigger fighters 

4 hours ago, lancerman said:

Again who has Fury best that was relevant that wasn’t old and past his prime OR a fighter who had serious flaws in his game his whole career? 

He’s bigger than Ali. Ali’s beat bigger fighters 

Who? 

All the best boxers Ali beat were WAY shorter than Fury. The only one that really came close was Ernie Terrell and he was 6'6 212.5lbs when they fought. Tyson Fury is 6'9 275