SnoopDogg

Who's the MJ of Football?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the MJ of Football?

• Tom Brady
    • Jerry Rice
    • Other (explain)

7 hours ago, Kirill said:

Patrick Lavon Mahomes II. If Dee Ford doesn't line up 3 yards offsides he beats Brady and is a champion in his first year. Either way he's got a perfect record in the SB which is what you need to be mentioned in the same breath as MJ.

Rams would have beat the Chiefs again.

• Like 2

Ignoring the stuff about blowing up the sport and creating iconic shoe lines. I can't think of a player that was pretty much immediately recognized by his peers who were themselves in the top 5-10 greatest players of all time openly admitting that he's the greatest player they've ever seen like with Bird and Magic did with Jordan by like 88. Brady was 8 years deep into his career before people REALLY looked at him like was the best in the game. Patrick Mahomes would have to be great for a solid decade before that comparison makes sense.

36 minutes ago, Malik said:

Ignoring the stuff about blowing up the sport and creating iconic shoe lines. I can't think of a player that was pretty much immediately recognized by his peers who were themselves in the top 5-10 greatest players of all time openly admitting that he's the greatest player they've ever seen like with Bird and Magic did with Jordan by like 88. Brady was 8 years deep into his career before people REALLY looked at him like was the best in the game. Patrick Mahomes would have to be great for a solid decade before that comparison makes sense.

How about LT? He won defensive player of the year his first two years in the league, had games where he was the key difference in victory, played injured, won two championships, and he's got the two letter nickname.

1 hour ago, sportjames23 said:

Kareem, I can see.  I don't agree, but I can see the argument for Cap.  But Lebron?  Nope.

There's absolutely an argument for LeBron. Even if we say that LeBron only peaked at 90% of Jordan, you minimally have to take into account that LeBron has 50% more elite seasons.

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There's absolutely an argument for LeBron. Even if we say that LeBron only peaked at 90% of Jordan, you minimally have to take into account that LeBron has 50% more elite seasons.

Jordan went to college for 3 years and took 2 years off during his prime to screw around in Minor League Baseball. 5 Elite Years we could have had elite seasons from Jordan.

1 minute ago, TENINCH said:

Jordan's impact was far beyond the sports world. Nobody in football will ever come close. The only comparison I can think of that makes sense would be Michael Jackson.

Because he led the league in receiving touchdowns for one season? I don't get it.

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

Jordan went to college for 3 years and took 2 years off during his prime to screw around in Minor League Baseball. 5 Elite Years we could have had elite seasons from Jordan.

Jordan wasn't even a great college player his freshmen year at UNC. He was great his sophomore and junior years, but there's a vast difference between being great in college and great in the NBA. Even from his sophomore year to his junior year, he made great strides in his game. Acting like Jordan is Jordan without the coaching he got at UNC seems a bad assumption. At best you have two more great years lost to college. At best.

Jordan deciding to quit basketball shouldn't help his basketball legacy. That was 1.8 years he got to rest his body in a way that other greats never have. LeBron actually played in the NBA in those years. He contributed to teams, he won games.

Also, it's distinctly possible we get 3 more great years out of LeBron. 

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It can't be a WR, no matter how great he is. What's the maximum a WR touches a ball in his peak/greatest game of all time - 15-20? Pathetic when you consider it relatively - I bet MJ had the ball 90% of all build-ups/attacking phases.

I agree since we're talking about total impact on the game, but I would say that in terms of work ethic/personality, Jerry Rice is an excellent MJ comparison. Also, I would probably consider Rice to be the greatest NFL player of all time in terms of total body of work, talent level, impact, longevity, etc. etc. at least until Brady got ring 5. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I agree since we're talking about total impact on the game, but I would say that in terms of work ethic/personality, Jerry Rice is an excellent MJ comparison. Also, I would probably consider Rice to be the greatest NFL player of all time in terms of total body of work, talent level, impact, longevity, etc. etc. at least until Brady got ring 5. 

With the exception of Rice not being a contemptuous jackass with a gambling addiction???