SnoopDogg

Who's the MJ of Football?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the MJ of Football?

• Tom Brady
    • Jerry Rice
    • Other (explain)

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

With the exception of Rice not being a contemptuous jackass with a gambling addiction???

Well, so did Jordan, no?

As far as championships, I would say Joe Montana.  He was also undefeated in Super Bowls.  But then again, so was Charles Haley with five.

Social impact in any capacity?  Jim Brown, for completely different reasons.

No way to answer this. Rice was brilliant but played in an era where no one could touch him. Does he have the same success in the 1950s? Brady is great, but so are a bunch of other QBs. I get the Super Bowls, Starr had 6 championships too. Are we forgetting the Payton, Brown, Smith? 

Just no way to answer this. There is no right or wrong. I argue "the best" can't even be quantified as much as we'd like to try to do that. In the end, it's all opinion. Yes, there can be stupid opinions ("Clint Longley was actually better than Roger Staubach), but otherwise opinions are just that, just a perspective of individuals. Neither right nor wrong.

Hard to say

Mahomes may actually be the one here. 

He has the other worldly talent, work ethic and already is the best at his position 2-3 years into the league ala MJ. 

I have to see how Kyler Murray pans out though, gotta feeling its gonna be K1 and Mahomes at the top for a while in this league. Not sure where either land though. 

• Like 1

When I think “MJ of football” Montana is the 1st to come to mind. Probably because of the 4-0 in championship games plus being regarded as the GOAT QB when I grew up. That’s just my 1st thought, and it’s hard to really dig deep at this question since as others have said it’s so hard to compare the sports.

Rice, Brady, Montana, Jim Brown. Those feel like the 4 with the best argument. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 12:39 AM, Kirill said:

Patrick Lavon Mahomes II. If Dee Ford doesn't line up 3 yards offsides he beats Brady and is a champion in his first year. Either way he's got a perfect record in the SB which is what you need to be mentioned in the same breath as MJ.

Aaron Rodgers is 1-0

Drew Brees is 1-0

Troy Aikman is 3-0

Eli Manning is 2-0

Hell Terry Bradshaw is a perfect 4-0

Means absolutely Nothing! Nothing!

Edited by Nabbs4u

On 5/18/2020 at 3:11 PM, SnoopDogg said:

I'm sure we've all seen The Last Dance by now, or at the very least we all know who Michael Jordan is. Clearly the greatest basketball player of all time. The football debate is much more complex, as Brady, Rice, and a few other players could all make their case for the GOAT. Who is it?

Jim Brown.

He even retired in his prime like MJ.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VanS said:

Jim Brown.

He even retired in his prime like MJ.  

I actually think this MIGHT be the answer. Came up as the game was being popularized too. IIRC the 4-3 defense was literally invented to attempt to stop Jim Brown. Huge impact on the game overall. Browns won big around that time, too. 

• Like 2

Tom Brady, Joe Namath, Lawrence Taylor, and Bo Jackson all combine elements of what MJ is to basketball (sustained excellence, celebrity, relentless determination and pure athletic achievement), but none of those players can really compare to him. When I was a little kid I would struggle to name any football player off the top of my head, but I could already tell you who Michael Jordan was and what team he played for--and so could everybody else, even the elderly nuns at my school. He's the Babe Ruth of his generation, a towering figure whose appeal transcends that of sports in general. 

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Aaron Rodgers is 1-0

Drew Brees is 1-0

Troy Aikman is 3-0

Eli Manning is 2-0

Hell Terry Bradshaw is a perfect 4-0

Means absolutely Nothing! Nothing!

Mahomes is better than all of those guys. And none of them have the charisma that Jordan and Mahomes do.

3 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Tom Brady, Joe Namath, Lawrence Taylor, and Bo Jackson all combine elements of what MJ is to basketball (sustained excellence, celebrity, relentless determination and pure athletic achievement), but none of those players can really compare to him. When I was a little kid I would struggle to name any football player off the top of my head, but I could already tell you who Michael Jordan was and what team he played for--and so could everybody else, even the elderly nuns at my school. He's the Babe Ruth of his generation, a towering figure whose appeal transcends that of sports in general. 

My grandma knows who Tom Brady is and who he plays for. She definitely hasn't heard of Mahomes yet and she probably thinks Jim Brown is a brand of bourbon. Nitpicking about his athleticism and overall contribution to the sport is fine but he's absolutely the closest it comes to MJ in terms of name recognition for an NFL player.