Who's the MJ of Football?

SnoopDogg

Who's the MJ of Football?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the MJ of Football?

• Tom Brady
    • Jerry Rice
    • Other (explain)

I'm from a place in Canada where 99% of sports fans eyes were turned to hockey until Brady won his first few championships so I would definitely argue in favor of there having been a TB effect sometime in the mid 2000's. I'd also wager that another part of his crossover appeal is that people associate him strongly with the modern overblown Super Bowl media package. He's just as much a part of the show as the million dollar ads to some casual fans and there are more of them than I can count who straight up never bothered watching the SB if the Pats weren't playing. MJ or not, athletes who can work this kind of magic on non-sports fans are excruciatingly rare.

5 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I actually think this MIGHT be the answer. Came up as the game was being popularized too. IIRC the 4-3 defense was literally invented to attempt to stop Jim Brown. Huge impact on the game overall. Browns won big around that time, too. 

They also share the same birthday.  February 17.  For even more bizzare symmetry. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Joe Montana, Tom Brady and now Patrick Mahomes.

Although I’ve always felt Mahomes is more Kobe Bryant. Clutch, and they both can get you 21 points in 5 minutes.

That's one thing that kills me about the SB. The had to run out the clock.

J

8 hours ago, Kirill said:

Mahomes is better than all of those guys. And none of them have the charisma that Jordan and Mahomes do.

You are missing the point. You said he's "Perfect" in SB, so were those 4. You cant approach any kind of GOAT type status until you have the Championships of a MJ or Tom, Period! Mahomes isn't better then Drew Brees, hasn't put up HOF numbers, "YET"! Hasnt put up any numbers in fact Drew hasnt eclipsed except 50TD. 

Does Mahomes have the potential, sure but he will never put up the AFCCG/SB appearances Brady/NE did the past 20 years which were absurd. His Division is harder, Andy will retire and sure as hell isn't Bill Belicheck. 

Mahomes could get Alex Smith'd next season (🤞🙏 that never happens) derailing his entire career and then Mahomes becomes nothing more then a footnote to , #1 Top 10 of Careers that could of been.

Until he has a minimum of 3 SB, people , especially You really need to stop talking him up as the best that's ever been. What hes accomplished in 3 years is as impressive as any QB in NFL history to start a career,  but it's been 3 yrs, not 10, 15 or 20, 3! 

2 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Mahomes still sounds like a little kid when he talks

It’s amazing honestly, he still has a lot of room for improvement because he’s so young. But his natural ability is so high already, gonna be interesting to see his further development.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Only five of the top 20 QBs in history.

Being a top 20 player is a FAR CRY from being "The MJ" of the NFL. Winning super bowls can put a QB in the conversation of "one of the best of all-time". But that isn't even close to being the overwhelming unanimous #1 player of a sport who changed and shaped the league during his tenure, and also not only crossed over, but basically TOOK OVER the mainstream culture and collective conscious for a decade, influenced pop culture, has become a shorthand reference point for singular greatness, and continues to influence to this day.

What does a Top 20 basketball player? Well, you might get names like Dirk, KG, Pippen, Malone. Great players, but orders of magnitude less than being "Being MJ" means.

The reality is, due to the nature of the games, there is no good/appropriate MJ comp, and my guess is there never will be. It goes beyond championships won.

Oh and Eli is NOT a top 20 quarterback. Not even close.

Aaron Donald is really similar to Michael Jordan.  

I'm not going to say outright that he's the MJ of football, but there are similarities between the two.  

Despite Donald not having a championship yet, he's naturally talented, has a tough work ethic, trash talks and fights with other players on the field.  

That was pretty much Michael Jordan in a nutshell when he was playing in the NBA.  

2 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

I'm not going to say outright that he's the MJ of football, but there are similarities between the two.  

Despite Donald not having a championship yet, he's naturally talented, has a tough work ethic, trash talks and fights with other players on the field.  

That was pretty much Michael Jordan in a nutshell when he was playing in the NBA.  

Office Space Bad Idea GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Aaron Donald isn't even the Michael Jordan of DTs.