Is it time for the Chargers to trade Philip Rivers?

DigInBoys

Rivers is still a good QB who should have a couple of solid years left(he's 36 or 37).

Chargers have some talent, particularly on defense but it looks like the team has hit a ceiling with Rivers, and they might be better served starting a rebuild of the offense a couple of years out from moving into the new stadium.

He has a 32 million dead cap hit this year...so I'm going to say not this year.

Next year, they get a nominal cap savings of 8 million against 14 dead. Probably not worth it.

He also has a full no trade clause for all 5 years so he'd have to sign off on any deal to trade him

Yes, without a doubt.  Problem is it's not clear where exactly would be the best destination for him to go to.  49ers were the first one that came to mind for me, but I have a hard time believing that they would give up a draft pick (likely a 2nd or 3rd rounder would be what the Chargers would want to part with him) when they have their eyes set on getting Kirk Cousins for free.  I guess if that falls through, they would become an option but I have a hard time actually seeing it happen.  Browns need a QB but would be an even worse situation for him.  Um, maybe Washington if Kirk Cousins leaves?

Just now, Jakuvious said:

I think San Diego would be better off just trying to draft a QB in an early round soon, and stick with Rivers while he develops a bit, or until Rivers fully tanks.

I almost wrote San Diego in my post too before I realized my mistake and changed it to Chargers.  It's gonna take some getting used to this lol

18 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I think San Diego would be better off just trying to draft a QB in an early round soon, and stick with Rivers while he develops a bit, or until Rivers fully tanks.

This makes a lot of sense and the Chargers need Rivers to keep them at least competitive right now. He also keeps San Diego fans engaged and these days, they need to hang onto every fan they can. Maybe Rivers wins over a few LA fans too. He's a caretaker until they can draft and groom his replacement -  who needs to be ready in 2019 when the new stadium opens up.

I don't think any team would be willing to trade what the Chargers would want. Their best bet would be to play this season out, end up with a solid draft pick, and hope they get a shot at one of the young prospects that can develop behind Rivers. 

His no trade clause makes this almost impossible, given his love for the area. It makes San Fran the only place that would want him, and they won't part with a top 10 draft pick for an older QB - at least, I don't think they would. 

5 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I don't think any team would be willing to trade what the Chargers would want. Their best bet would be to play this season out, end up with a solid draft pick, and hope they get a shot at one of the young prospects that can develop behind Rivers. 

His no trade clause makes this almost impossible, given his love for the area. It makes San Fran the only place that would want him, and they won't part with a top 10 draft pick for an older QB - at least, I don't think they would. 

There's no team that should part with a top 10 pick, much less a 1st round pick, for Rivers at this moment.  If this was 2 or 3 years ago, I could see a 1st being traded for him, but not when he's about to be 36 this year and is coming off of a season where he just led the league in interceptions.  The most a team should consider parting with for Rivers is a 2nd round pick, but I've already mentioned that I dont see the 49ers trading a pick to get Rivers when they have their eyes set on getting Kirk Cousins for free in free agency

In short, it makes a lot of sense for the Chargers to move Rivers, but it's hard to see a deal actually getting done

11 hours ago, DigInBoys said:

Rivers is still a good QB who should have a couple of solid years left(he's 36 or 37).

Chargers have some talent, particularly on defense but it looks like the team has hit a ceiling with Rivers, and they might be better served starting a rebuild of the offense a couple of years out from moving into the new stadium.

He actually kind of sucks. In his past 45 starts, he's 13-32 and has turned the ball over 63 times.

Unfortunately for LAC, his contract makes getting rid of him right now economically impossible.

9 hours ago, everlong said:

He actually kind of sucks. In his past 45 starts, he's 13-32 and has turned the ball over 63 times.

Unfortunately for LAC, his contract makes getting rid of him right now economically impossible.

How much of that is Rivers and how much of that is coaching though?

30 minutes ago, everlong said:

Rivers has been the only constant.

He has been much better in the past though, and while you could chalk it up to simply being past his prime, it raises question marks in this era of football, when guys like Brady are seemingly playing better than ever, and Brees showing no significant decline.  Especially when the Chargers have been so horribly run lately.

Archived