Is it time for the Chargers to trade Philip Rivers?

DigInBoys

8 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

He has been much better in the past though, and while you could chalk it up to simply being past his prime, it raises question marks in this era of football, when guys like Brady are seemingly playing better than ever, and Brees showing no significant decline.  Especially when the Chargers have been so horribly run lately.

One constant in all sports is fundamentals - Brady is playing well at 40, not just because he's in good shape, but because he is a technician with a perfect throwing motion. Players with idiosynchratic throwing styles, like Rivers, would tend to age badly comparatively.

It's like in cricket - a batsman who relies entirely on hand-eye coordination will drop off more sharply than one with a polished technique.

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 5:11 AM, ChazStandard said:

One constant in all sports is fundamentals - Brady is playing well at 40, not just because he's in good shape, but because he is a technician with a perfect throwing motion. Players with idiosynchratic throwing styles, like Rivers, would tend to age badly comparatively.

It's like in cricket - a batsman who relies entirely on hand-eye coordination will drop off more sharply than one with a polished technique.

Dude. No one understands cricket analogies.

And to the OP. Rivers is done. I wouldn't sign him as a free agent, let alone trade for him.

3 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

No OL is also part of it.

He's had the equivalent of the 2013 Patriots offensive line for 4 years.

This is true, but even when did he have a good offensive line in 2013, they still barely made the playoffs. They were nearly eliminated by a KC team that rested their starters and had literally nothing to play for.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:11 AM, ChazStandard said:

Oh geez, not this nonsense again. Once again, just because it's funky looking, doesn't mean it's not mechanically sound.

On 9/27/2017 at 10:00 PM, August4th said:

rivers would prolly refuse the trade and LA would not want to trade it's biggest name right now .. they need something to draw in fans

Plus if he has to sign off on it and says no it probably isnt good for morale that the team is trying to trade their QB

21 hours ago, MemphisEagles said:

Dude. No one understands cricket analogies.

some people do man some people do

On 28/09/2017 at 8:11 PM, ChazStandard said:

same reason i don't think steve smith will last when he starts to get older - idk about the mechanics of rivers but what he's saying in the analogy is fundamentally true 

btw that is australian cricket captain steve smith not wide receiver steve smith 

9 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

It's not mechanically sound.  There is a reason QBs are taught to throw it the way they are.

Doesn't mean it doesn't work though.

1) Yes, QBs are taught a certain way. It doesn't mean that it's the only way. My recommendation is to do some research on what mechanically sound actually is. At least with regards to throwing motion. The ideal throwing motion involves getting the football accurately from point A to point B without any wasted motion. I'm sure Dan Marino would disagree with your assessment given that he had a similar throwing motion as Rivers'.

marinorivers.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

2) I'm also annoyed because this was brought up years ago (specifically the 2012 season) with no evidence to back it up. 

On 9/27/2017 at 7:00 PM, August4th said:

rivers would prolly refuse the trade and LA would not want to trade it's biggest name right now .. they need something to draw in fans

Eagles fans showed up for the chargers home game today. They don't have fans in LA. 

On 9/27/2017 at 1:00 AM, Chiefer said:

Rivers isn't going anywhere, it's already too much for him to travel to LA everyday from his home in SD.

This

He's basically the Alex Rodriguez of the Chargers. Making way to much ?, can't/won't be traded basically forcing them into waiting for him to retire and come off the books.

He's going nowhere no matter what the Chargers would like to do via trade!

The Charger's problem is the owner, He kept Norv Turner as his HC for a # of years when it was clear to everyone but him, that Turner was a rotten HC and Rivers paid the price and wasted a lot of prime years.

I would trade him as long as I was in a position to draft my next franchise QB and was holding a top 2 or 3 overall pick.

LA is a star city where you had better have a top QB or nobody will buy tickets.

Otherwise, you just hold on and wait for a better opportunity to arise for a trade.

Archived