How draft classes is Mahomes worth?

patriotsheatyan

4 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I totally agree, but like -- doesn't that make it even more damaging to the argument of paying the quarterback that even at lower percentage of the cap being taken up, these QBs are still not able to get teams around them successful enough to win? Just seems to further confirm the point that teams are going to have to start bailing on the idea of keeping successful rookies around at some point. 

Absolutely. This is something I've been looking into on and off for awhile now, because I've been telling people that the Brady/Belichick combo is throwing off the data since he's pretty much always been taking below-market contracts. It will be interesting to see how things play out now. I'm willing to concede that it might turn out you still need that elite quarterback play, and thus pay the elite QB premium.

The problem is the inflation of QB play, when compared to salary cap, really started to accelerate like 10 years ago, maybe less. So even examples as recently as the 00s decade is basically irrelevant. Not a lot of data to go on, plus Brady fudging up the data available, makes it hard to make any conclusions.