Dark Mode

N4L

21 hours ago, pwny said:

You certainly could. I made one for the old site about 7 years ago. But the majority of people are using the site on their phones and tablets, so it’s not going to be what the majority of people would need. 

So, I did some Googling, and it is certainly doable on Android. iOS not so much.

On Android, there is the Kiwi Browser which allows you to install Chrome extensions.

On iOS 12 onward, there is the Shortcuts app, which allows you to inject javascript on pages in Safari, but you would have to run the Shortcut on every page load, which would be annoying.

So...I use Google Chrome, and I was looking for a dark mode for the desktop version of Pinterest, since I'm on there a lot and only the mobile version right now has a dark theme. I did a simple Google search to see if I could fix this, and I found the Night Eye extension for Chrome, which makes any website (apparently) have a dark mode. I came here, and sure enough I've been pretty impressed the last few minutes. There were other browser options on the Pinterest article I referenced, so give it a try for whatever suits you. Pretty straight forward. I'll link it here: 

https://nighteye.app/how-to-enable-pinterest-dark-mode-mobile-and-web/

After I installed the simple extension for my browser a separate tab from the Night Eye developers popped up essentially stating that the first 3 months were free, and then after that, it's a $9 fee for a year. Or $40 for the license. But there is still a free version you can use even then. It's limited to only 5 websites of your choice though.

https://nighteye.app/thank-you/

I don't know, for now this seems like a great workaround. Sample:

Untitled.jpg

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 8:10 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

So...I use Google Chrome, and I was looking for a dark mode for the desktop version of Pinterest, since I'm on there a lot and only the mobile version right now has a dark theme. I did a simple Google search to see if I could fix this, and I found the Night Eye extension for Chrome, which makes any website (apparently) have a dark mode. I came here, and sure enough I've been pretty impressed the last few minutes. There were other browser options on the Pinterest article I referenced, so give it a try for whatever suits you. Pretty straight forward. I'll link it here: 

https://nighteye.app/how-to-enable-pinterest-dark-mode-mobile-and-web/

After I installed the simple extension for my browser a separate tab from the Night Eye developers popped up essentially stating that the first 3 months were free, and then after that, it's a $9 fee for a year. Or $40 for the license. But there is still a free version you can use even then. It's limited to only 5 websites of your choice though.

https://nighteye.app/thank-you/

I don't know, for now this seems like a great workaround. Sample:

Untitled.jpg

How do I get this?

9 hours ago, Danger said:

How do I get this?

I already explained in the post you quoted. Click the first link, scroll down to the browser you use, and click it on it. It will lead you to the page to install Night Eye as an extension for your browser. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For me there's just something "off" about night mode on this particular site. I can't really put my finger on it though. For some reason the white text over the dark background is kinda hard for me to read, for whatever reason. Does anyone else feel the same way?

I'm trying to compare to other sites I use dark mode on - Twitter for example, their dark mode is a blue-tinted background so it's not as dark as this and thus the text is easier to read. Also it's text is larger by default and a different font.

Idk, maybe I'm just a baby and the only one experiencing it.

On 1/12/2021 at 9:29 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

For me there's just something "off" about night mode on this particular site. I can't really put my finger on it though. For some reason the white text over the dark background is kinda hard for me to read, for whatever reason. Does anyone else feel the same way?

I'm trying to compare to other sites I use dark mode on - Twitter for example, their dark mode is a blue-tinted background so it's not as dark as this and thus the text is easier to read. Also it's text is larger by default and a different font.

Idk, maybe I'm just a baby and the only one experiencing it.

First of all, I'm an idiot and didn't realize they added dark mode! LoL I agree that for whatever reason , it seems more difficult to read than other dark mode sites. It could be me just getting used to it ?  I'm going to use it for the next week or so and see if I get used to it.

10 hours ago, K9 said:

First of all, I'm an idiot and didn't realize they added dark mode! LoL I agree that for whatever reason , it seems more difficult to read than other dark mode sites. It could be me just getting used to it ?  I'm going to use it for the next week or so and see if I get used to it.

I think i figured it out. Most other sites have a very dark background, but then they have lighter "boxes" that contain the content, which makes it easier to read. For whatever reason, the box CSS for this dark mode is just too dark for me still.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 1