ESPN - Lions had 4th worst offseason

davisblack

21 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Quinn hasn't leaned on familiarity in the passed with the OLine. Letting young, established, and quality starters like Warfard and Glasgow leave without much attempt to resign them.

The common denominator is that they are both Guards. Quinn could place more value on the OT and OC spots and choose to not overpay those interior guys. This is more feeling over facts so I could be completely off. 

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

The common denominator is that they are both Guards. Quinn could place more value on the OT and OC spots and choose to not overpay those interior guys. This is more feeling over facts so I could be completely off. 

You might be right, but I don't remember a strung push to resign Reiff either.

7 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

That was in 2017, which was the same time when we had Decker already on the roster and Wagner was the top RT in FA. At that point it seemed like Quinn was already planning on moving on from Reiff after his contract was up. While we do have Crosby on the roster it's not the same as having another 1st round pick waiting in the wings. That was also during a regular draft season whereas this year we are dealing with the Big Ten, PAC-12 and a series of other leagues being shut down for at least the fall, college all star games up in the air, the combine could be a bit of a question mark, etc. Drafting this year is going to be wildly different than in years past. 

The drafting of Jackson and Stenberg signals this as a similar type of move to replace Dahl and/or Wiggins either now or shortly in the future on the cheap.

I feel like if we do re-sign Decker it'll be on a 3-4 year contract which will really be a 2 year deal or he'll play on the tag in 2021. 

Edited by Karnage84
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Just for fun, I took a look at the Patriots and their investment in the OL over the last 3 years. This is according to Ourlads in September of each year

LT - 2019 - Wynn (1); 2018 - T. Brown (T-3RD); 2017 - Solder (1)

LG - 2019 - Thuney (3); 2018 - Thuney (3); 2017 - Thuney (3)

OC - 2019 - Karras (6); 2018 - Andrews (UDFA); 2017 - Andrews (UDFA)

RG - 2019 - Mason (4); 2018 - Mason (4); 2017 - Mason (4)

RT - 2019 - Cannon (5); 2018 - Cannon (5); 2017 - Cannon (5)

They've been able to remain consistent for the past 3 years at 3/5 positions, at least as of September of each year. There does appear to be a commitment to investing at LT with two 1sts and a trade for a guy like Trent Brown with a high pick (3rd). 

On 8/24/2020 at 1:04 PM, Karnage84 said:

Just for fun, I took a look at the Patriots and their investment in the OL over the last 3 years. This is according to Ourlads in September of each year

LT - 2019 - Wynn (1); 2018 - T. Brown (T-3RD); 2017 - Solder (1)

LG - 2019 - Thuney (3); 2018 - Thuney (3); 2017 - Thuney (3)

OC - 2019 - Karras (6); 2018 - Andrews (UDFA); 2017 - Andrews (UDFA)

RG - 2019 - Mason (4); 2018 - Mason (4); 2017 - Mason (4)

RT - 2019 - Cannon (5); 2018 - Cannon (5); 2017 - Cannon (5)

They've been able to remain consistent for the past 3 years at 3/5 positions, at least as of September of each year. There does appear to be a commitment to investing at LT with two 1sts and a trade for a guy like Trent Brown with a high pick (3rd). 

Both starting guards, Thuney (franchise tag) and Mason (5 yr/45M), made it passed their rookie contracts with the Patriots. It seems Quinn isn't following BB's playbook on guards. 

42 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Both starting guards, Thuney (franchise tag) and Mason (5 yr/45M), made it passed their rookie contracts with the Patriots. It seems Quinn isn't following BB's playbook on guards. 

That's a good point. Could be a philosophical difference in BQ vs BB.