2020 Green Bay Packers OL

Shanedorf

From The Athletic

Only five offensive guards in the NFL played at least 10 games last season without surrendering a sack, according to Pro Football Focus.

The only rookie among the five was Elgton Jenkins, the Packers’ left guard and 2019 second-round pick. In a group that also includes Colts All-Pro left guard Quenton Nelson, Cowboys All-Pro right guard Zack Martin, Bills left guard Quinton Spain and Broncos right guard Graham Glasgow, Jenkins allowed the fewest quarterback hits with just one.

What’s your favorite part about the job of a left guard?

Just being able to dominate. Just being able to maul and take somebody’s will. I really just like playing O-line because you can clear holes. Me personally, when they’re running through your gap all the time or you’re making plays, I feel like offensive linemen are playmakers too, just in my mind.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Better win a SB before the Jenkins rookie deal expires because I've heard that signing IOL to large contracts is never a good idea.  Barring injury, Jenkins will be getting a large contract from someone in 2023.  Maybe by then he's the starting RT?

If you have extra cap space and one that's worth it, it's not the worse thing in the world... Sitton and Lang were pretty good... paying one interior guy isn't too bad, and he'll probably be getting Linsley's and/or Turners money by then...

13 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Funny to think back to the moment Jenkins was drafted.  My exact thought at the time was... "Who?"

Me too... I use to be a draftnik, but stopped about 5Ys ago. I just learn about 95% of the players after the draft. As a Gator/SEC fan, I still should have at least heard of him.

Once I started looking into him all the analysis was through the roof. An Auburn guy sent me some info on him and told me he's never seen a higher ceiling on an interior O-lineman- I was taken back.

So, after about a week after the draft, I posted here the Packers drafted their next Gale Gillingham (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GillGa00.htm) and  that Bakhi & Jenkins are going to be an all time great LT/LG combo.

14 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Better win a SB before the Jenkins rookie deal expires because I've heard that signing IOL to large contracts is never a good idea.  Barring injury, Jenkins will be getting a large contract from someone in 2023.  Maybe by then he's the starting RT?

I"m not so sure that he isn't our starting right tackle for the next decade.

He has all the ability to play RT at a very high level.

And it's easier to find guards.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, I 100% believe Jenkins will be the RT sooner rather than later. Especially if Runyan keeps impressing at guard.

and let's not forget who his dad was...the lineage is there and if he has better fundamentals(which can be fixed), he might be an early Day 3 pick at RT....but like dad, he went to Michigan where there's a coaching staff in place that doesn't actually coach the players(see the criticisms of Gary and Winovich coming out)...

21 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Funny to think back to the moment Jenkins was drafted.  My exact thought at the time was... "Who?"

Exactly. Then I read up on him and thought he'd be a sleeper pick TBH. 

• Like 1

I am pretty sure most Packer fans on this site agree that Bahkti/Jenkins at LT and LG are an ideal pairing, and that Runyan will make a fine RG or swing o-line player. Further, there is lots of consensus around the idea of Jenkins moving to RT next year and possibly moving Runyan into LG. So please don't have a heart attack over this question: Given how incredibly expensive it will be to sign Bahkti as well as to keep other important players like Kevin King, Aaron Jones, etc., would there be any possibility that Gutey would pass on keeping Bahkti and move Jenkins into the LT slot instead? Hey, I'm not advocating for this--just asking a question that a forum like this could explore. Jenkins says he is capable of playing all o-line positions; Runyan looks to be able to play LG, and we would still have Turner/Wagner to play RT along with a draft choice next spring. Is there some sense to this or is it just plain nuts? It could provide serious cap room as as team profits get squeezed this year.

• Like 1

Excellent post, Gypsy.

I like Jenkins inside, he's dominant there. I think he'd be a good RT and an average LT.

I like Runyan a lot; Gute hit on that pick. He's a lot like Lang... He's a solid athlete & an excellent technician. Once he gets NFL strong he's goona be a real good OG. He's already OK now.

59 minutes ago, Gypsy1027 said:

I am pretty sure most Packer fans on this site agree that Bahkti/Jenkins at LT and LG are an ideal pairing, and that Runyan will make a fine RG or swing o-line player. Further, there is lots of consensus around the idea of Jenkins moving to RT next year and possibly moving Runyan into LG. So please don't have a heart attack over this question: Given how incredibly expensive it will be to sign Bahkti as well as to keep other important players like Kevin King, Aaron Jones, etc., would there be any possibility that Gutey would pass on keeping Bahkti and move Jenkins into the LT slot instead? Hey, I'm not advocating for this--just asking a question that a forum like this could explore. Jenkins says he is capable of playing all o-line positions; Runyan looks to be able to play LG, and we would still have Turner/Wagner to play RT along with a draft choice next spring. Is there some sense to this or is it just plain nuts? It could provide serious cap room as as team profits get squeezed this year.

If we move from an All Pro LT for a very good RB or a pretty good CB I'll jump straight on the Gute has donkey brains train.

• Like 3