2020 Green Bay Packers OL

Shanedorf

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I've got no issues with the club re-signing Lane Taylor.  He did win the starting job and I'm guessing he would be very affordable.  I could see Runyan being the main backup for the interior positions.  And ideally we would still have Wagner to backup the tackle position.

Bakh, Taylor, Jenkins, Patrick, Turner

Runyan and Wagner first off the bench.  

Maybe Runyan beats out Patrick and they flip spots.  If GB can swing it, this is the way they should go.

Lane won the job and by all accounts is a great teammate and person, but this is his second season in a row lost to injury.  At some point you've got to get the young guys out there to fully develop.

As you said, he probably comes in on the cheap so it's worth it in July.  In the end, if one of the young bucks looks almost as good, he could be the odd man out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Lane won the job and by all accounts is a great teammate and person, but this is his second season in a row lost to injury.  At some point you've got to get the young guys out there to fully develop.

As you said, he probably comes in on the cheap so it's worth it in July.  In the end, if one of the young bucks looks almost as good, he could be the odd man out.

No reason to be the odd man out if the contract is low.  As you said, injured two years in a row.  Would be great to have him back.  And I want him back, just because I remember @AlexGreen#20 calling him "hot garbage" when he was young!  I remember spitting coffee out when I read that line.  Ah, good times.  Good times.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I've got no issues with the club re-signing Lane Taylor.  He did win the starting job and I'm guessing he would be very affordable.  I could see Runyan being the main backup for the interior positions.  And ideally we would still have Wagner to backup the tackle position.

Bakh, Taylor, Jenkins, Patrick, Turner

Runyan and Wagner first off the bench.  

Maybe Runyan beats out Patrick and they flip spots.  If GB can swing it, this is the way they should go.

We dont have enough room to keep LT. Patrick, Jenkins, Runyan, Stepaniak, & Hanson at IOL. The cap is already going to be very strapped. Wagner is a 6 million cap hit and a backup. 4.25 saved if cut. If you're worried about depth, then re-sign LT and Jenkins is backup T.

1 hour ago, FAH1223 said:

Good news

Don’t know if that qualifies as “good” news, 3-6 is still a significant injury.  With the current IR rules, it will give some other guys a shot, which is cool. I vote for the steamroller, Stepaniak.  I also hope they keep these modified IR rules. Crazy not to be flexible with the injury list in such a brutal sport. 

12 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Don’t know if that qualifies as “good” news, 3-6 is still a significant injury.  With the current IR rules, it will give some other guys a shot, which is cool. I vote for the steamroller, Stepaniak.  I also hope they keep these modified IR rules. Crazy not to be flexible with the injury list in such a brutal sport. 

There's no reason the NFL should revert back to the old IR rules but, knowing Goodell, he will. 

16 hours ago, Kenrik said:

We dont have enough room to keep LT. Patrick, Jenkins, Runyan, Stepaniak, & Hanson at IOL. The cap is already going to be very strapped. Wagner is a 6 million cap hit and a backup. 4.25 saved if cut. If you're worried about depth, then re-sign LT and Jenkins is backup T.

You/we don't know what  Lane Taylor contract will look like after two years of injuries.  What we do know is that he is a very capable starter.

I get the cap concerns, very much.

If the club can make the money work, Wagner is a great insurance policy.

I'll never complain about investing in the o-line.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You/we don't know what  Lane Taylor contract will look like after two years of injuries.  What we do know is that he is a very capable starter.

I get the cap concerns, very much.

If the club can make the money work, Wagner is a great insurance policy.

I'll never complain about investing in the o-line.

The contract numbers are fairly predictable, but will he still be a capable starter after two years of injuries?

I would bring him back at a low guarantee for training camp, but if a young guy is playing up to his level, you’ve got to go with the youth. It’s about money invested but also opportunity and positional investment. At some point you’ve got to give one of the limited roster spots to the up and comer.

Wagner is on a very reasonable contract for a guy who has started at a premium position.  We’ll get to see him at RT if Patrick is out but I wouldn’t be hasty to cut him this offseason. You never know what happens in the preseason and at the very least, you can trade that contract to a team in need. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Refugee said:

Am I crazy to say I wouldn’t want any other young offensive lineman other than Becton in New York over Jenkins? He isn’t a left tackle, but since we already have that an elite player with elite versatility is probably the next best thing. That’s exactly what we have there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He's been great .. didn't have much of a resume when he came here.  He's definitely proven to be a shrewd hiring by LaFleur.

Coach had a bit of a grin on his face when he said he got some inside information from the SF staff, which includes Mike LaFleur, on how solid the young Steno was as a coach.  I hope he can get as good of information on defensive coaches, because I believe there will be a shake up there. 

David Bakhtiari, Lucas Patrick, Elgton Jenkins, Billy Turner, Rick Wagner - each played the full 61 offensive snaps.  Jon Runyan Jr. did not get to play against his childhood team, and father's team after much hype that he would.  I'm OK with the vet Wagner doing the job he's being paid to do. 

This was a very powerful Phi front, rookie lineman are typically not nearly as strong as vets.  The young guys will get their chances but we're into December football.  Rookies only play if they have to.

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 2:27 PM, Refugee said:

David Bakhtiari, Lucas Patrick, Elgton Jenkins, Billy Turner, Rick Wagner - each played the full 61 offensive snaps.  Jon Runyan Jr. did not get to play against his childhood team, and father's team after much hype that he would.  I'm OK with the vet Wagner doing the job he's being paid to do. 

This was a very powerful Phi front, rookie lineman are typically not nearly as strong as vets.  The young guys will get their chances but we're into December football.  Rookies only play if they have to.

Good call i just came to see if anyone knew why we didn't play Runyan and i can see why now to a degree. I didn't like that we moved Patrick around but the more these guys can move around the better really. Nothing wrong with getting these guys work at different spots. They played really well that's for sure and our TE's help and have blocked well this season also.