Jump to content

2020 Green Bay Packers OL


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Have you finally come around on Elgton Jenkins at center?

Nope. Jake Hanson until further notice. We drafted Linsley in the 5th and Hanson was drafted about that same time in the draft to be a Center, not as OG or OT. I could see Jenkins minding the gap until Hanson or even someone else takes the role, but Jenkins is far too valuable elsewhere along that OL; that's why I hate him at Center.

Edited by Joe
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Joe said:

Nope. Jake Hanson until further notice. We drafted Linsley in the 5th and Hanson was drafted about that same time in the draft to be a Center, not as OG or OT. I could see Jenkins minding the gap until Hanson or even someone else takes the role, but Jenkins is far too valuable elsewhere along that OL; that's why I hate him at Center.

You still going to the grave with this one?  Corey Linsley was drafted as a pure-center prospect.  Even though he played guard in college, he wasn't much of a guard prospect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You still going to the grave with this one?  Corey Linsley was drafted as a pure-center prospect.  Even though he played guard in college, he wasn't much of a guard prospect.

Yup.

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-sign-c-jake-hanson

I don't think you can argue what's posted on the team's site on this one, but I wouldn't be surprised or frustrated if we resigned Linsley to a 2 year deal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Joe said:

Yup.

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-sign-c-jake-hanson

I don't think you can argue what's posted on the team's site on this one, but I wouldn't be surprised or frustrated if we resigned Linsley to a 2 year deal. 

What exactly am I supposed to be getting from that news article?  Elgton Jenkins has been the starting C whenever Corey Linsley has been out with injury.  Jake Hanson has spent the entire season on the PS (albeit the injured/reserve list) the entire year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What exactly am I supposed to be getting from that news article?  Elgton Jenkins has been the starting C whenever Corey Linsley has been out with injury.  Jake Hanson has spent the entire season on the PS (albeit the injured/reserve list) the entire year.

Hmm....rookie who was a Center in college who was drafted to be developed into a starter at the pro level who has been on an IR list and you're telling me I have to heavily invest in the fact that Jenkins has played Center simply because Hanson is NOT AVAILABLE....

Look, I'll give you that we weren't expecting him or any of the other rookie OL to play this year. However, so many of you fall off the wagon  given the fact that you're taking your best OL who has repeatedly proven to play every other position at an elite level and put him at Center and say that's your future Center WHEN YOU HAVE DRAFTED A PLAYER AS A CENTER albeit a Day 3 pick just like the current starting Center when healthy. Especially when LG Lane Taylor has been hurt and out for the better half of two seasons, Lucas Patrick has proven to be a short-term answer at RG in particular, Billy Turner has been moved around several times, and Jon Runyan Jr. has been in at RG. 

 

I'm sorry it clashes with your own personal narrative, but how much more EVIDENCE do you need? Also, look at who our last 3 long-term C's have been. Nobody drafted on Day 1 or Day 2, hell Evan Dietrich-Smith was a UDFA. I could probably go further back...

Edited by Joe
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Joe said:

Hmm....rookie who was drafted to be developed into a starter who has been on an IR list and you're telling me I have to heavily invest in the fact that Jenkins has played Center because Hanson is NOT AVAILABLE....

We still don't even know what kind of injury he sustained.  He went a FULL month between when he was released and when he was placed on the IR.  NO team took him off the PS, and he suffered what amounted to a season-ending injury.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

Look, I'll give you that we weren't expecting him or any of the other rookie OL to play this year. However, so many of you fall off the wagon  given the fact that you're taking your best OL who has repeatedly proven to play every other position at an elite level and put him at Center and say that's your future Center WHEN YOU HAVE DRAFTED A PLAYER AS A CENTER albeit a Day 3 pick just like the current starting Center when healthy. Especially when LG Lane Taylor has been hurt and out for the better half of two seasons, Lucas Patrick has proven to be a short-term answer at RG in particular, Billy Turner has been moved around several times, and Jon Runyan Jr. has been in at RG. 

I'm pretty sure majority of the forum viewed him as a top 53 player.  Most thought he was going to make the roster cutdowns, and he didn't.  Why is a C less valuable than a LG or RG?  I'm still waiting to hear this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Joe said:

I'm sorry it clashes with your own personal narrative, but how much more EVIDENCE do you need? Also, look at who our last 3 long-term C's have been. Nobody drafted on Day 1 or Day 2, hell Evan Dietrich-Smith was a UDFA. I could probably go further back...

Evidence?  Your entire argument is based around him being drafted as a C.  Jake Hanson was a pure-center prospect, even moreso than Corey Linsley.  That's it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Jake Hanson was a pure-center prospect, even moreso than Corey Linsley.  That's it.

and that's all we need to know....

With your quote in tow, where else is Hanson going to play? If he's not inline to eventually be Linsley's replacement why would we spend a pick on someone that we didn't think had starter potential? Bear in mind this is especially in light of drafting Runyan right before him(who clearly has RG starting potential) and Simon Stepaniak after him who was nothing more than a road grader at IU who needs to tweak his Pass-pro technique. I also remember someone posting a presentation from the Oregon coaching staff on OL blocking techniques prior to the draft. 

In response to the waivers thing; wasn't Hanson hurt at that time he was waived? He wasn't expected to be some sort of world-beater right out of the gate and neither was Linsley. We read certain posters complain about Turner and Patrick when they're in relief at RT and RG respectively. Before Wagner went down, the talk was how great it was to have Linsley back and Jenkins back at LG because the OL functions a lot better with that line-up from Center to the left-side of the OL. When Jenkins moves to Center, the play at LG goes down - this is common knowledge that has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads in which certain participants lament the use of Lucas Patrick(I am NOT one of them)...

 

Bottom line: Jenkins is more valuable to us elsewhere along the line than at Center.

Edited by Joe
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Joe said:

and that's all we need to know....

With your quote in tow, where else is Hanson going to play? If he's not inline to eventually be Linsley's replacement why would we spend a pick on someone that we didn't think had starter potential? Bear in mind this is especially in light of drafting Runyan right before him(who clearly has RG starting potential) and Simon Stepaniak after him who was nothing more than a road grader at IU who needs to tweak his Pass-pro technique. I also remember someone posting a presentation from the Oregon coaching staff on OL blocking techniques prior to the draft. 

In response to the waivers thing; wasn't Hanson hurt at that time he was waived? He wasn't expected to be some sort of world-beater right out of the gate and neither was Linsley. We read certain posters complain about Turner and Patrick when they're in relief at RT and RG respectively. Before Wagner went down, the talk was how great it was to have Linsley back and Jenkins back at LG because the OL functions a lot better with that line-up from Center to the left-side of the OL. When Jenkins moves to Center, the play at LG goes down - this is common knowledge that has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads in which certain participants lament the use of Lucas Patrick(I am NOT one of them)...

 

Bottom line: Jenkins is more valuable to us elsewhere along the line than at Center.

You don't spend 200 picks with the assumption that they start. He's a lottery ticket. You hope and pray that he's functional depth, and anything beyond that is a massive bonus. 

Anybody who claims to know what this line is going to look like to Bakhtiari's right is lying. This Packers staff doesn't even know. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You don't spend 200 picks with the assumption that they start. He's a lottery ticket. You hope and pray that he's functional depth, and anything beyond that is a massive bonus. 

Anybody who claims to know what this line is going to look like to Bakhtiari's right is lying. This Packers staff doesn't even know. 

I think that's a bit extreme. I get that he's considered a lottery ticket because that's your philosophy, but the fact that he's a pure Center prospect drafted about the same time Linsley was begs the argument that this is the exception to the rule if you're framing it as such... 

 

...oh yeah plus the fact that we've never spent a Day 1 or Day 2 pick on a guy that was supposed to be a Pure Center...

Edited by Joe
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think that's a bit extreme. I get that he's considered a lottery ticket because that's your philosophy, but the fact that he's a pure Center prospect drafted about the same time Linsley was begs the argument that this is the exception to the rule if you're framing it as such... 

 

...oh yeah plus the fact that we've never spent a Day 1 or Day 2 pick on a guy that was supposed to be a Pure Center...

Just because the lottery ticket that was Linsley hit, doesn't mean you expect a plus Center out of every late round pick. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...