2020 Green Bay Packers OL

Shanedorf

38 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think with Turner the interior depth strengthens the depth at Tackle. Turner might not be what you're looking for at Tackle long term as a starter, but you're not dead if he has to play there for 6 games.

Lane Taylor played a game (or two?) at tackle a couple of years ago.  My recall was that he didn't look that bad?    A couple of years, and a couple of injuries later, he may be less capable now than he was then.  And perhaps he wasn't actually very capable even then, and he'd have been badly exposed had he played tackle for more than a game or two.  

No idea how the team internally perceives their own guys.  Sometimes that's quite different from how board-posters do.  If they had 1-2 games to fill at tackle, would they just use Light?  Might they actually just plug Taylor in, ahead of Light, and leave the other 4 guys as is?  Might they plug Taylor in at RG, and bump Turner over to tackle?  

If it was 6 games, would they do it differently than if it was just a 2-game fill?  

Alex Light just barely turned 24.  It's hypothetically possible that he may still have some improvement left, relative to what we saw last year?  And that if he was needed against defenses less stifling than San Fran's, that the coaches might perceive him as being variably anti-awful?  

I've said this before and I'll say it again. There will be LOTS of 6 OL sets, plus, I can't help but think that Runyan or Stepaniak will swing out to RT in certain situations. We will ground-n-pound this season, there's no question about that. 

56 minutes ago, Joe said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again. There will be LOTS of 6 OL sets, plus, I can't help but think that Runyan or Stepaniak will swing out to RT in certain situations. We will ground-n-pound this season, there's no question about that. 

Based on what?

SF doesn't do it. We didn't do any of it last year. The Rams don't do it. Tennessee does it an infinitesimally small amount. 

6OL is dead everywhere except Seattle. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Based on what?

SF doesn't do it. We didn't do any of it last year. The Rams don't do it. Tennessee does it an infinitesimally small amount. 

6OL is dead everywhere except Seattle. 

Why draft 3 IOL, resign Lucas Patrick, and keep Lane Taylor?

Ok, so I can see maybe two of those draftees going to PS and we'll say they're Hanson and Stepaniak, but then that leaves you with the following IOL: Turner, Taylor, Patrick, Linsley, Jenkins, Runyan, and Madison(who I don't see us cutting). Why carry that many IOL? 

Plus, you look at what else we did in the draft where we drafted a blocking TE/H-Back and a big back on Day 2. This team is being engineered to run the ball.

Edited by Joe

Just now, craig said:

Joe, you know that Stepaniak had knee surgery, right?  And Cole Madison too?  Those guys aren't going to play this season.  

Ok, so that still leaves us with 6 IOL. Again, why carry that many?

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I agree, but only if you count Lewis as an OL.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I agree, but only if you count Lewis as an OL.

I get that, but I can't help but think you're going to see a ton of formations that look something like this:

RB Rodgers

HB

ML
                      RT OL OL OL OL Bakh                     WR

I know it looks and sounds weird, but knowing we want to run the ball a lot I can't help but think we're going to see a similar formation a lot...

Edited by Joe

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Why draft 3 IOL, resign Lucas Patrick, and keep Lane Taylor?

Ok, so I can see maybe two of those draftees going to PS and we'll say they're Hanson and Stepaniak, but then that leaves you with the following IOL: Turner, Taylor, Patrick, Linsley, Jenkins, Runyan, and Madison(who I don't see us cutting). Why carry that many IOL? 

Plus, you look at what else we did in the draft where we drafted a blocking TE/H-Back and a big back on Day 2. This team is being engineered to run the ball.

Turner, Jenkins, and Linsley are your starters this year.

Patrick takes over at Center next year.

Linsley and Taylor are gone after next year to Free Agency. That's assuming Taylor isn't gone before camp.

Madison and the 3 rookies are lottery tickets. We're hoping one of them looks good enough you don't pay Turner in his walk year.

52 minutes ago, Joe said:

I get that, but I can't help but think you're going to see a ton of formations that look something like this:

RB Rodgers

HB

ML
                      RT OL OL OL OL Bakh                     WR

I know it looks and sounds weird, but knowing we want to run the ball a lot I can't help but think we're going to see a similar formation a lot...

The entire backbone of the LaFleur offense is about being able to run a bunch of different plays out of the same personnel grouping.

6 OL is the antithesis of that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Out of all the IOL we have, SOMEONE has to end up better than Billy "Pattycake" Turner by 2021.

I think you've got to give Turner another year before writing him off. He was the worst OL we played a ton of snaps last year, but it's not like the worst guy in THAT group is necessarily bad. There are a ton of teams that would love to start Turner.

I wouldn't be shocked if he was significantly better in pass protection this year. He wasn't getting out physicaled, he was predominantly getting beat on his reads. That's an issue that's been hanging around his entire career, but a second year in a system sure as hell isn't going to hurt.

• Like 1