2020 Green Bay Packers OL

Shanedorf

20 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think that's a bit extreme. I get that he's considered a lottery ticket because that's your philosophy, but the fact that he's a pure Center prospect drafted about the same time Linsley was begs the argument that this is the exception to the rule if you're framing it as such... 

About the same time...or 47 picks later

20 minutes ago, Joe said:

...oh yeah plus the fact that we've never spent a Day 1 or Day 2 pick on a guy that was supposed to be a Pure Center...

• Like 1

Does it even matter?

Jenkins played center in college.  And put out film that was outstanding.  He would be a great center, one of the best if not the best in the game, if that is his position.

We know that he's a top guard.  We know that he can also be very good at tackle.

I hope Hanson works out at center, but it is far from a sure thing.  

Jenkins is a sure thing.  

Should we allow Lindsley to walk, at least we have succession plans there.  If Hanson doesn't have "it", we have Jenkins.  And that is before we draft.  It is a nice position to be in.

Throw in a little Runyan along with Patrick and we have some guys there to move around and still have a good line.  Without counting on any "lottery ticket" type players.

And...I'm still hoping that the Nijman lottery ticket pays off at RT.

A little off topic in regards to what the thread is about I guess, but why does Bakhtiari seem to always get away with false starts? I shouldn't say always, but I've noticed it a lot over the past couple years with him, he always moves a fraction of a second before the ball is snapped and it's never called. Its pretty noticeable IMO, noticeable enough for me to see it on TV a couple times per game at least but the refs never call it. Is there something I'm missing?

Edited by dwaye50327

Both he and Bulaga did that a lot.  I think it has to do with knowing how Rodgers sounds at the line.  If they move during the start of his last word, it isn't a false start, but it is less of a delay than anyone else.  I've no doubt that this is something that GB teaches and has officials watch during their practices.

Just now, vegas492 said:

Both he and Bulaga did that a lot.  I think it has to do with knowing how Rodgers sounds at the line.  If they move during the start of his last word, it isn't a false start, but it is less of a delay than anyone else.  I've no doubt that this is something that GB teaches and has officials watch during their practices.

It's just weird, seems like it should be a false start due to him moving first and not the ball, it shouldn't matter about his cadence.

If a defender comes over the LOS for just a fraction of a second, it's a penalty if the ball is snapped I THOUGHT. Always thought the defense could get back in time before the ball is snapped, but they've been calling it lately that if the defender jumps into the neutral zone, they blow it dead right away even if there is no snap.

I don't get half the rules sometimes, but it seems like there is no consistently when calling penalties.

11 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

It's just weird, seems like it should be a false start due to him moving first and not the ball, it shouldn't matter about his cadence.

If a defender comes over the LOS for just a fraction of a second, it's a penalty if the ball is snapped I THOUGHT. Always thought the defense could get back in time before the ball is snapped, but they've been calling it lately that if the defender jumps into the neutral zone, they blow it dead right away even if there is no snap.

I don't get half the rules sometimes, but it seems like there is no consistently when calling penalties.

Interesting thing about our cadence. The snap is supposed to take place at the end of the word "Set" in the "Set Hut" of the cadence. Some guys go on the first "t" others go on the second "t".

As far as the defender jumping, if he gets back onsides before the snap, he's not offsides.

But if the defender moves into the neutral zone and his movement causes the offensive player to move, the penalty is on the defense.

So the Packers set it up that if somebody jumps, Linsley should snap and the rest of the line should treat it as a snap. If Linsley moves the ball before one of the other offensive line does, then it's a free play. If one of the other offensive line moves before Linsley, it's a dead ball. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dwaye50327 said:

It is weird.  But I view it as more of a delayed reaction by the other OL and the DL.

Like Lindsley is snapping the ball as Bakh is moving.  No penalty.  But the other o-lineman are closer and maybe watching the ball, then reacting, or listening, then reacting.  Bakh is out there so far he probably just trusting his ears more and allowing him to move before everyone else.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

It is weird.  But I view it as more of a delayed reaction by the other OL and the DL.

Like Lindsley is snapping the ball as Bakh is moving.  No penalty.  But the other o-lineman are closer and maybe watching the ball, then reacting, or listening, then reacting.  Bakh is out there so far he probably just trusting his ears more and allowing him to move before everyone else.

Just seems like teams would be complaining about this, I mean by rule, it is a false start, maybe it's not, who really knows.

3 hours ago, dwaye50327 said:

A little off topic in regards to what the thread is about I guess, but why does Bakhtiari seem to always get away with false starts? I shouldn't say always, but I've noticed it a lot over the past couple years with him, he always moves a fraction of a second before the ball is snapped and it's never called. Its pretty noticeable IMO, noticeable enough for me to see it on TV a couple times per game at least but the refs never call it. Is there something I'm missing?

Bakh looks in at the ball when in his stance like a DL, it's why he rarely false starts. He's probably moving the moment it moves. You're probably not able to process it through the TV like he is in person and it only looks like he's early. 

24 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

Just seems like teams would be complaining about this, I mean by rule, it is a false start, maybe it's not, who really knows.

I have Bares fans in my office.  They complain all the time that it is a false start.  

And a Cowboy fan who believes that Bakh and Bulaga were holding on every play.

...not sure if any of them are wrong.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Bakh looks in at the ball when in his stance like a DL, it's why he rarely false starts. He's probably moving the moment it moves. You're probably not able to process it through the TV like he is in person and it only looks like he's early. 

Lmao ok, we'll stick with that.

11 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

There's probably also an acceptable gray area for OL/DL when they time the snaps perfectly. I know sometimes the most explosive pass rushers can time it perfect and are already around the OT before he's out of his stance. Probably offsides if you looked at the still frame but there's probably some leeway for a guy having good timing and explosion.

40 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:
1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Ray is right

your brain is fooled because he's moving before everyone else reacts, not before the actual ball is snapped. So it appears he's moving early but he's not.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

They put in old Chad Clifton tape and told him what not to do.