A letter from Art Rooney, II I got in email today

Magnus-Viktor

To Steelers Nation:

I want to reach out to you, the members of Steelers Nation, based on what I believe is a misperception about our players' intentions in not taking the field for the National Anthem in Chicago. The intentions of Steelers players were to stay out of the business of making political statements by not taking the field. Unfortunately, that was interpreted as a boycott of the anthem – which was never our players' intention.

Our players come from many different backgrounds and are united by what it means to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are active in their communities and participate regularly in events designed to give back to those communities. And they appreciate the support they get from Steelers fans around the country and here at home.

I also know that our players have tremendous respect for the members of our military services, including their teammate Alejandro Villanueva. There was never any desire on the part of our players to show disrespect for our service members.

Yesterday, I received an email from a Steelers fan who said tell the players to just play football. That is exactly what they wanted to do. They wanted their sole focus to be on playing the game, while also coming together as a unified team.

The main thing we can do is learn from this and strive to come together remaining unified as a football team. I believe we are capable of accomplishing this with the support of our fans.

Steelers Nation is made up of the best fans in the National Football League. We appreciate your continued support of our players, coaches and staff.

Sincerely,

Art Rooney

Art Rooney, II

Pittsburgh Steelers

Going about things as normal wouldve been the best way to ignore the political garbage that was going on.

The fact that you, your coach and your players werent smart enough to figure that out is what annoys me....especially when it seems as if it provided a distraction from actual game preparation.   

I feel like 43 and others -  A letter can't fix this. This was a borderline disgusting display and an embarrassing for some considering it occurred at Soldiers Field of all places. But, I do believe coach T was put in bad spot and I believe that they wanted to try and unite the team, all be it unsuccessfully. The 1pm start added to the awkwardness. The reaction to Villaneva was also weird. I've heard the NFL supposedly has a rule on the national anthem on page 62 of one of their rule books, IDK. Whatever NFL , there are alternatives out there whether you or ESPN recognize them or not.  Awkward and embarrassing at least, and the performance was on par with that as the players seemed distracted. If they play distracted like that again this week, Baltimore could embarrass us further.

Personally I "buy" the explanation. I think it's beyond ignorant to not foresee how it was going to be perceived. Maybe letting it be known why the decision was made prior to doing it would have softened the criticism. The AV situation was indeed awkward. That could have been handled better. Anyone could see how important it was for him to participate and when he called  a press conference for the purposes of apologizing SOMEONE should have told him it wasn't necessary and that he did the right thing by paying his respects.  

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

Sooooo, what happens this week? Obviously staying in the tunnel is ruled out. So, half standing/half kneeling? All kneeling before standing during? Linking arm and arm during? Does it  matter anymore? 

I think they'll go back to what they've been doing before this wk ... wonder if next yr the NFL will go back to the old way they did this before 09

6 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Sooooo, what happens this week? Obviously staying in the tunnel is ruled out. So, half standing/half kneeling? All kneeling before standing during? Linking arm and arm during? Does it  matter anymore? 

Link arm in arm. No caucasion player or coach side by side. Guys that want to kneel go inside of guys that want to stand. 

10 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I wouldn't be anywhere near anyone kneeling.  I'd shun them.

Good for you. But when we’re on the same team your my brother in fire no matter what. Even if your views are different I’ll still be seen by your side defending you. 

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Good for you. But when we’re on the same team your my brother in fire no matter what. Even if your views are different I’ll still be seen by your side defending you. 

My country trumps sports.  Sorry, but there's no way I'd ever be "that guy" with my hand on the shoulder of some dude kneeling in these "protests".  I'd be on the opposite end of that line.  Doesn't mean I'd necessarily hate the guy or shun him otherwise, unless I felt he was protesting against me and mine.  But during the anthem I would definitely distance myself from them and their garbage.  Just to clarify there what I meant.  

21 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

My country trumps sports.  Sorry, but there's no way I'd ever be "that guy" with my hand on the shoulder of some dude kneeling in these "protests".  I'd be on the opposite end of that line.  Doesn't mean I'd necessarily hate the guy or shun him otherwise, unless I felt he was protesting against me and mine.  But during the anthem I would definitely distance myself from them and their garbage.  Just to clarify there what I meant.  

This is where I guess the politics come in but I’ll try to fully avoid it:

Frankly I don’t give two youknowwhats about what anyone believes. It’s why I have no problems getting along with anyone. 

Yes I would be that person to put a hand on that guys shoulder. Has nothing to do with “sports before country”, you know what it has to do with? A locker room is a family. If that guy has my back when he needs to; then I have no problems standing next to him (yea exclusions apply like murder, drugs, stuff like this). The protest is just asking for justice and equality, which is something I have no problem with. We’re all human and it’s wrong to say one humans life is more valuable from another. 

So so I have no problem standing up to support someone asking for the same treatment I do every day. 

This is obviously a heated and touchy subject all around the country and especially to Steelers fans as we were dragged into it by what happened.

No discussions about race or politics is allowed as in the case in every thread.  If you feel you can not abide by these simple rules please do not post in this thread.   

1 hour ago, JDLefebvre said:

This is obviously a heated and touchy subject all around the country and especially to Steelers fans as we were dragged into it by what happened.

No discussions about race or politics is allowed as in the case in every thread.  If you feel you can not abide by these simple rules please do not post in this thread.   

Sorry. Trying to do my best to tiptoe. It’s a tough subject for sure. 

If I had to boil it down, I guess what I’m trying to say is my point isn’t about politics or race. It’s about respecting the fact that the locker room is a family and the team is a brotherhood and no matter what the leanings are, those guys are my brothers. 

Archived