Who you got at WR?

turtle28

I was reading this Emanuel Hall story from Ian @ Riggo’s Rag and thought we should talk who will make the roster at WR this year. As for Hall, I definitely think he has a shot to be one of the last WRs the Redskins keep on their roster. If they only keep 5, he probably doesn’t make it. If they keep 6, he could. At worst he’s a practice squad guy. 

Here’s my list by #

1. Terry McLaurin 

2. Harmon

3. Steven Sims

4. AGG

5. Quinn

6. Cam Sims

7. Darvin Kidsy

8. Emanuel Hall

9. Johnathan Johnson 

10. Jordan Veasey 

11. Isaiah Wright

12. Jester Weah

What say you?

Edited by turtle28

28 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I was reading this Emanuel Hall story from Ian @ Riggo’s Rag and thought we should talk who will make the roster at WR this year. As for Hall, I definitely has a shot to be one of the last WRs the Redskins keep on their roster. If they only keep 5, he probably doesn’t make it. If they keep 6, he could. At worst he’s a practice squad guy. 

Here’s my list by #

1. Terry McLaurin 

2. Harmon

3. Steven Sims

4. AGG

5. Quinn

6. Cam Sims

7. Darvin Kidsy

8. Emanuel Hall

9. Johnathan Johnson 

10. Jordan Veasey 

11. Isaiah Wright

12. Jester Weah

What say you?

#1, #3, #4 and pick'em after that . The ones that flash in practice and pre-season .

40 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 11

Isaiah Wright is a playmaker with the ball in his hands! 

I was about to say Wright is a really talented player!!!

Im completely with you young but crazy talented and diverse they all can run jump catch I mean that’s a really crazy group

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

McLaurin 

Harmon 

Sims

Sims 

AGG 

Wright 

Johnson (PS)

If Trey Gruden makes this team.........

I think there’s a chance for Trey Gruden to remain. He’s nothing special, but he has made some plays and catches from the slot in real NFL games. He’s actually a tough WR who makes tough catches in the middle of the field, but there’s been a YAC problem with him, he gets none. 

I’d rather have Kidsy or Isaiah Wright take Quinn’s spot as the back up slot WR  behind Steven Sims Jr (SSJ) but I’m just saying those two are unknown against a top 3 NFL CBs on teams and we actually know that Quinn can be about serviceable. 

Quinn’s at least good for 3 catches a game when he plays, of course that’s the biggest issue with Quinn is his availability, he’s been too injured in his first two years. Then, there’s the fact that no WRs on our offense could get much YAC when Keenum was our QB outside of Terry last year.

So, was that a Keenum accuracy issue or an issue with those other WRs? I don’t know, I guess it’s anyone’s guess but I know in 2018 when Colt was throwing to Quinn when we played at Dallas he did average a yard more per catch then when Keenum was his QB and he had a TD in that one game he saw extensive action in 2018.

Edited by turtle28

My problem with Quinn is that both QB's passer ratings dropped tremendously when throwing him the ball versus throwing the ball to our other WRs.  Sure there were some misfires on deep shots where he was running wide open (from Keenum), but more often than not, he just wasn't creating enough separation or making enough contested catches for me to see any long-term upside in his game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

My problem with Quinn is that both QB's passer ratings dropped tremendously when throwing him the ball versus throwing the ball to our other WRs.  Sure there were some misfires on deep shots where he was running wide open (from Keenum), but more often than not, he just wasn't creating enough separation or making enough contested catches for me to see any long-term upside in his game.

NFL Next Gen stats have him with more separation on his targets than either McLaurin or Harmon, for what it’s worth. It didn’t seem to be too much of a problem when he was on the receiving end of a very solid 91.7 rating on his 10 targets as a rookie. Those stats can be a little fluky — as you mentioned, one bomb connected on for a TD instead of an incompletion could swing the passer rating tremendously on a comparatively low number of targets. 

Where I agree with you is that there’s not a lot of upside. He doesn’t have great size or speed, he doesn’t give you much after the catch, he’s a willing but below average blocker, etc. He’s almost certainly not going to develop into a star.  What he is, though, is a decently reliable slot receiver, and I think there’s going to be room on the team for a player like that. The starting slot man is a kid who put together about 5 good games as a rookie, and who happens to weigh about 150 pounds soaking wet — there’s a real chance we’ll have to end up relying on a backup due to a Sims injury or even ineffectiveness.

Maybe one of these UDFAs will beat him out for a spot, but guys like Quinn tend to stick around the league for a while because coaches know they can rely on them to at least not screw up and be where they need to be. Someone is gonna have to show up and show out in camp to pry that roster spot out of his hands. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't even know who 9-12 are.

I’m with ya man, I did look them up to see. I know @PARROTHEAD knew Hall and JonJon. Hall played at  Mizzu so, he played in the SEC and he was a good WR but had injuries. I think these guys have talent, particularly Hall, JonJon and Wright. I have no clue if they have the ability to truly make the team like Steven Sims did last year and Cam Sims did in 2018 but then he hurt his ankle and was out for the year.

8 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Very true, I forgot to mention Quinn’s poor route running and that’s another flaw he has. Until he cleans that up he’ll always be competing to be the last WR on a roster instead of competing to be a starring slot WR.

If he’s truly not going to make the roster, I’d hope they can trade him to the Jags & Gruden for a conditional 6th or 7th.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

NFL Next Gen stats have him with more separation on his targets than either McLaurin or Harmon, for what it’s worth. It didn’t seem to be too much of a problem when he was on the receiving end of a very solid 91.7 rating on his 10 targets as a rookie. Those stats can be a little fluky — as you mentioned, one bomb connected on for a TD instead of an incompletion could swing the passer rating tremendously on a comparatively low number of targets. 

You may be right, but only 2 of his targets were deep passes.  That doesn't explain his Passer Rating, 1st Down Conversion % and EPA/play being far worse than any other WR last year.

Keenum:

1842006328_ScreenShot2020-05-20at8_09_55

Haskins:

645983507_ScreenShot2020-05-20at8_09_22A

41 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

You may be right, but only 2 of his targets were deep passes.  That doesn't explain his Passer Rating, 1st Down Conversion % and EPA/play being far worse than any other WR last year.

Keenum:

1842006328_ScreenShot2020-05-20at8_09_55

Haskins:

645983507_ScreenShot2020-05-20at8_09_22A

The miss from Keenum against NYG that I think we’re both referencing would have been a 53-yard TD instead of an incompletion. Make that change in the numbers, and Keenum posts a 95 rating throwing to Quinn. The INT Keenum threw on a Quinn target was an overthrow picked off by a safety (Clinton-Dix) — Quinn was open, it was just a bad throw. If that goes as an incompletion instead of a pick, the passer rating throwing to Quinn goes up to almost 109. 

That’s what I’m saying when I say these numbers are fluky. Two bad throws by Keenum, on plays where Quinn did everything right drive the targeted passer rating down by over 35 points.  

Anyway, I think the bottom line for Quinn is that he’s fighting for one roster spot, at that backup slot position, which is basically WR5/6 behind McLaurin, Sims, Harmon, and Gandy-Golden. The only other candidates I see on the roster as legit slot receiver options are UDFAs (Darvin Kidsy, Johnathon Johnson, maybe Isaiah Wright as a big slot based on his style of play). My money at the moment is on Quinn winning that battle and hanging on to his roster spot. 

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The miss from Keenum against NYG that I think we’re both referencing would have been a 53-yard TD instead of an incompletion. Make that change in the numbers, and Keenum posts a 95 rating throwing to Quinn. The INT Keenum threw on a Quinn target was an overthrow picked off by a safety (Clinton-Dix) — Quinn was open, it was just a bad throw. If that goes as an incompletion instead of a pick, the passer rating throwing to Quinn goes up to almost 109. 

That’s what I’m saying when I say these numbers are fluky. Two bad throws by Keenum, on plays where Quinn did everything right drive the targeted passer rating down by over 35 points.  

Anyway, I think the bottom line for Quinn is that he’s fighting for one roster spot, at that backup slot position, which is basically WR5/6 behind McLaurin, Sims, Harmon, and Gandy-Golden. The only other candidates I see on the roster as legit slot receiver options are UDFAs (Darvin Kidsy, Johnathon Johnson, maybe Isaiah Wright as a big slot based on his style of play). My money at the moment is on Quinn winning that battle and hanging on to his roster spot. 

I think we only keep 5 Wrs with all the HBs that might make the team

You think backup slot gives Quinn a edge with Gibson and Mckissic at HB who could take some slot snaps.Think it comes down to whoever is best on Special teams for the 5th spot,if there is a 6th WR think it has to be a surprise the blows away the staff in camp or Preseason.