Who you got at WR?

turtle28

10 hours ago, ovfd55 said:

I think we only keep 5 Wrs with all the HBs that might make the team

You think backup slot gives Quinn a edge with Gibson and Mckissic at HB who could take some slot snaps.Think it comes down to whoever is best on Special teams for the 5th spot,if there is a 6th WR think it has to be a surprise the blows away the staff in camp or Preseason.

Interesting point about Gibson and McKissic able (and likely) to take reps in the slot. You could well be right about their presence on the roster making it easier to only keep one slot-type receiver. 

Personally, without the benefit of seeing them all on the field in preseason and such yet, I would probably lean toward only keeping 4 RBs (Peterson, Guice, Love, Gibson), with Thad Moss as sort of an honorary FB/TE hybrid. If you have injuries to Peterson or Guice, you could keep Barber, or with injuries to Love or Gibson, you could keep McKissic. And you’d obviously keep them both on speed dial, because undoubtedly there will be some injuries as the season goes on. 

I just don’t see how a 5th RB ever gets touches. I think there’s an easier to a few reps per game for a WR6 than there is for a RB5, so I’d lean in that direction. But you make a good point — it will be interesting to track their thought process on that. They obviously thought it was worthwhile giving FA money to both McKissic and Barber, which would have put us at 5 RBs even prior to the Gibson pick.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2020 at 12:29 PM, ovfd55 said:

I think we only keep 5 Wrs with all the HBs that might make the team

You think backup slot gives Quinn a edge with Gibson and Mckissic at HB who could take some slot snaps.Think it comes down to whoever is best on Special teams for the 5th spot,if there is a 6th WR think it has to be a surprise the blows away the staff in camp or Preseason.

I’m thinking that too bc Gibson and McKissic can play some slot WR. If we keep the following RBs:

1. Peterson
2. Guice

3. Love

4. Gibson

5. McKissic

Then, it’s probably 5 WRs too. 

1. Terry

2. Harmon

3. Steve Sims

4. AGG

5. Cam Sims, Quinn, Kidsy or one of the UDFA’s.

On 5/20/2020 at 10:48 PM, e16bball said:

Interesting point about Gibson and McKissic able (and likely) to take reps in the slot. You could well be right about their presence on the roster making it easier to only keep one slot-type receiver. 

Personally, without the benefit of seeing them all on the field in preseason and such yet, I would probably lean toward only keeping 4 RBs (Peterson, Guice, Love, Gibson), with Thad Moss as sort of an honorary FB/TE hybrid. If you have injuries to Peterson or Guice, you could keep Barber, or with injuries to Love or Gibson, you could keep McKissic. And you’d obviously keep them both on speed dial, because undoubtedly there will be some injuries as the season goes on. 

I just don’t see how a 5th RB ever gets touches. I think there’s an easier to a few reps per game for a WR6 than there is for a RB5, so I’d lean in that direction. But you make a good point — it will be interesting to track their thought process on that. They obviously thought it was worthwhile giving FA money to both McKissic and Barber, which would have put us at 5 RBs even prior to the Gibson pick.

I see your point about a fifth RB not getting touches unless that happens to be Gibson who gets put onto the field in certain packages at RB, at WR, etc.  

I actually think McKissic, with his strong ability out of the backfield and the ability to run a pretty varied route tree probably has the most defined role as it stands right now.  Obviously, that could change when practices start, but that's where I stand right now based off what I've seen in highlights and think is the case.  

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 1:23 PM, TKellion said:

That is my list as well

Definitely better than Quinn from those highlights but, Quinn’s SMU highlights were great too. Wright's highlights actually reminds me Antonio Gibson's. He has a great shot at making the team as our 5th or 6th WR - if we keep 6 -if he becomes a consistent route runner.

15 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I see your point about a fifth RB not getting touches unless that happens to be Gibson who gets put onto the field in certain packages at RB, at WR, etc.  

I actually think McKissic, with his strong ability out of the backfield and the ability to run a pretty varied route tree probably has the most defined role as it stands right now.  Obviously, that could change when practices start, but that's where I stand right now based off what I've seen in highlights and think is the case.  

But isn’t the role you’re describing McKissic essentially, almost verbatim, the role we’re envisioning for Antonio Gibson? It just seems a little redundant to me. 

I know Gibson is more of a project than a typical RB, but I really feel like taking snaps away from him in that role is undesirable. And if Gibson genuinely can’t play right now, I think that’s a big problem. I’m all for taking time to develop players at most positions, but I don’t think you can take a RB with what’s basically a 2nd round pick and then redshirt him — the shelf life is too short, the undesirability of resigning them long-term is too great.

I like McKissic as a player, actually. I thought it was a good solid signing to replace CT at a low cost. But then they went and paid a STEEP price to get an upgraded version of McKissic, and I’m just not sure there’s room for the older, cheaper version anymore. 

14 minutes ago, e16bball said:

But isn’t the role you’re describing McKissic essentially, almost verbatim, the role we’re envisioning for Antonio Gibson? It just seems a little redundant to me. 

I know Gibson is more of a project than a typical RB, but I really feel like taking snaps away from him in that role is undesirable. And if Gibson genuinely can’t play right now, I think that’s a big problem. I’m all for taking time to develop players at most positions, but I don’t think you can take a RB with what’s basically a 2nd round pick and then redshirt him — the shelf life is too short, the undesirability of resigning them long-term is too great.

I like McKissic as a player, actually. I thought it was a good solid signing to replace CT at a low cost. But then they went and paid a STEEP price to get an upgraded version of McKissic, and I’m just not sure there’s room for the older, cheaper version anymore. 

We don't really don't have an inside track on the teams thoughts. How they may use these guys. I just intended to watch it play out. If it is indeed redundant as you say -- then it's a conundrum for certain.

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

Potentially.  But if the off-season is as shortened as I think it is, McKissic is going to get quite a few reps and has one of the few depth chart choices locked up to start the season.  

1. McLaurin

2. Harmon

3. Sims Jr

4. AGG

5. Isiah Wright

Under normal circumstances I think the team would keep six but when you consider Turners offense the need just won’t be there. Gibson, McKissick and Love will all be given the chance to take over that role as sort of the 6th receiver while being classified as a RB. I say this though believing that McKissick doesn’t make the 53. If Love is healthy and Gibson picks up the offense there’s simply no room left for JD. 

52 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

1. McLaurin

2. Harmon

3. Sims Jr

4. AGG

5. Isiah Wright

Under normal circumstances I think the team would keep six but when you consider Turners offense the need just won’t be there. Gibson, McKissick and Love will all be given the chance to take over that role as sort of the 6th receiver while being classified as a RB. I say this though believing that McKissick doesn’t make the 53. If Love is healthy and Gibson picks up the offense there’s simply no room left for JD. 

My hope is that what we saw from Turner last year at the end of the season isn’t exactly “his offense,” for a couple reasons. 

First, I just don’t love that style of offense long term. I like being able to work in all those wrinkles — the screens and jet sweeps and all the short option routes to the RB — but to compete at the top of the NFL, you’ve got to be able to push the ball down the field efficiently in the passing game. That’s the beauty of someone like Andy Reid, who can attack you horizontally and in the short passing game as well as anybody, but who also knows that big plays in the intermediate and deep passing game are paramount. Maybe more accurately, that’s the beauty of giving Andy Reid a player like Mahomes, because at times Andy’s offenses can get stuck in neutral — but Mahomes is a human big downfield play waiting to happen, and that supercharges everything Andy does. 

Second of all, I think the most promising thing about last season for Turner’s future outlook would be if that’s not really “his“ scheme, but he adapted and tailored the gameplan to the players he had available to him. When the best players you have are Christian McCaffrey, DJ Moore, and Curtis Samuel, I would think the optimal approach would look something like what Turner cooked up over those last few games. In other words, he had a few round pegs — and instead of trying to force those round pegs into square holes, he carved out some round holes that would fit them better. That would be extremely promising to me. 

It would be especially promising because I don’t think our offensive talent, as currently constituted, really fits what he did with the Panthers last season. Our best player is Terry McLaurin, and he’s not really a gadget WR. He could do the gadget stuff, but you’re wasting his ability as a route runner and contested catch maker if you’re using him mostly in screens and short crossers and jet sweeps. We also have several more traditional RBs who are (or could be) really good players, and I don’t think they fit well in an offense where you’re looking for the RB to get 100+ targets. And you’ve also got our two young outside WRs in Harmon and Gandy-Golden who definitely won’t give you any impact in that sort of scheme, as slower big-body guys who take a while to get up to speed. Gibson and Sims are the only surefire roster members who would really flourish in that sort of scheme, with McKissic and Wright also good fits among roster bubble guys. 

What I’m hoping to see is more of a hybrid between some of that scheme and the classic Air Coryell roots that are in his DNA from his dad. Our personnel really fits the latter scheme better, I think. We don’t have anything at TE, which hurts, but perhaps a quality slot WR in Sims could simulate that impact in the middle of the field to some degree. 

• Like 2

On 5/21/2020 at 11:36 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

JP has been reading my posts. Ha! I just found out the other day that my sisters best friend from HS’s husband is best friends with JP from high school. They both went to Bethesda Chevy Chase. Small world.

I think Harmon is the #2, I expect 50-60 recs, around 700 yds and 3-5 TDs from him.

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

1. McLaurin

2. Harmon

3. Sims Jr

4. AGG

5. Isiah Wright

I would think they’d keep McKissic over one of the young WRs or Quinn per say as a 6th WR. 

I think the RBs are:

1. Peterson 

2. Guice

3. Love

4. Gibson

5. McKissic

WR:

1. McLaurin

2. Harmon

3. Sims Jr

4. AGG

5. Isiah Wright, Cam Sims or Trey Quinn

When we have two RBs who can run WR routes or at least some of them (Gibson & McKissic) then, we don’t need to keep a 6th WR. 

I think we keep only 3 TEs this year instead of 4, to make room for that extra RB too. Unless, Moss is playing FB & H-back rather than a true inline TE.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

My hope is that what we saw from Turner last year at the end of the season isn’t exactly “his offense,” for a couple reasons. 

First, I just don’t love that style of offense long term. I like being able to work in all those wrinkles — the screens and jet sweeps and all the short option routes to the RB — but to compete at the top of the NFL, you’ve got to be able to push the ball down the field efficiently in the passing game. That’s the beauty of someone like Andy Reid, who can attack you horizontally and in the short passing game as well as anybody, but who also knows that big plays in the intermediate and deep passing game are paramount. Maybe more accurately, that’s the beauty of giving Andy Reid a player like Mahomes, because at times Andy’s offenses can get stuck in neutral — but Mahomes is a human big downfield play waiting to happen, and that supercharges everything Andy does. 

Second of all, I think the most promising thing about last season for Turner’s future outlook would be if that’s not really “his“ scheme, but he adapted and tailored the gameplan to the players he had available to him. When the best players you have are Christian McCaffrey, DJ Moore, and Curtis Samuel, I would think the optimal approach would look something like what Turner cooked up over those last few games. In other words, he had a few round pegs — and instead of trying to force those round pegs into square holes, he carved out some round holes that would fit them better. That would be extremely promising to me. 

It would be especially promising because I don’t think our offensive talent, as currently constituted, really fits what he did with the Panthers last season. Our best player is Terry McLaurin, and he’s not really a gadget WR. He could do the gadget stuff, but you’re wasting his ability as a route runner and contested catch maker if you’re using him mostly in screens and short crossers and jet sweeps. We also have several more traditional RBs who are (or could be) really good players, and I don’t think they fit well in an offense where you’re looking for the RB to get 100+ targets. And you’ve also got our two young outside WRs in Harmon and Gandy-Golden who definitely won’t give you any impact in that sort of scheme, as slower big-body guys who take a while to get up to speed. Gibson and Sims are the only surefire roster members who would really flourish in that sort of scheme, with McKissic and Wright also good fits among roster bubble guys. 

What I’m hoping to see is more of a hybrid between some of that scheme and the classic Air Coryell roots that are in his DNA from his dad. Our personnel really fits the latter scheme better, I think. We don’t have anything at TE, which hurts, but perhaps a quality slot WR in Sims could simulate that impact in the middle of the field to some degree. 

I won’t lie, I absolutely hated the hire of Scott Turner. I think it would’ve been beneficial for the whole team if O’Connell stayed but whatever.