Glass Half Full 2020

dll2000

16 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

I made a similar point on Graham.....his season that is considered a total failure is still 450 yards. If he gets 500-600 for us paired with Kmet I pretty much would consider that a win.

Quinn having a BAD season would still  basically look like 6 sacks.....that would be close to the TOP season of Floyds. If he gets 8 sacks across from Mack I would consider that a win. And if he has a GOOD season we could be looking at 10-12.....across from Mack....thats sick.

Graham will be better than anyone the Bears had last year. Period. Open and shut. Kmet is better than anyone they had last year. Open and shut. It's 10x better than it was last year, they addressed it so hopefully people can get over the fact they overpaid for Graham (unlikely).

With Quinn, I'm not even overly concerned with sacks... They're never bad, but pressures are just as good. Floyd could get pressure once in a while, but it seems like teams schemed around him and mitigated his impact. Quinn should be able to wreck any scheme and get impact both in the backfield and the secondary with picks and bad, off-time throws.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

Graham will be better than anyone the Bears had last year. Period. Open and shut. Kmet is better than anyone they had last year. Open and shut. It's 10x better than it was last year, they addressed it so hopefully people can get over the fact they overpaid for Graham (unlikely).

With Quinn, I'm not even overly concerned with sacks... They're never bad, but pressures are just as good. Floyd could get pressure once in a while, but it seems like teams schemed around him and mitigated his impact. Quinn should be able to wreck any scheme and get impact both in the backfield and the secondary with picks and bad, off-time throws.

Exactly, Im legit a glass half full guy. We overpaid...who cares.Got a dude who has played with Rodgers, Wilson, and Brees with tons of experience. 

Bears D is gonna be ape s***

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

Exactly, Im legit a glass half full guy. We overpaid...who cares.Got a dude who has played with Rodgers, Wilson, and Brees with tons of experience. 

Bears D is gonna be ape s***

Maybe he can get 3-6 TDs which would be a huge improvement alone. Probably be more of a chain mover, short yardage guy. Closer to Desmond Clark than JG of old. Oh well.

Yeah, all three levels should be insane. If Jaylon can step up and start right away, that would be huge! I love his potential as a zone guy that can get a ton of turnovers. Slot should be Buster's to lose... Vildor and Shelley is an interesting battle. I think Vildor wins out next year just based on athleticism. I'm geeked to watch the Monsters.

• Like 1

Clearly I'm pessimistic on the Bears outlook this year but this is a pathetic article. He makes so many invalid and ridiculous claims

If Foles plays "how he did on the Super Bowl run for an entire season" the Bears still won't be good

If they finish 8-8 they won't be able to trade up for a QB

He somehow compares the Jags extending Bortles to the Bears not exercising Trubisky's option 

He blames some of the team's decline due to Goldman's contract

None of that makes ANY sense. Yikes. The Ringer (whatever that is) needs a new editor I assume

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

No one gamble doomed the Bears. Their fall in the past couple seasons is the result of losing two first-round picks in a trade for Khalil Mack and dealing second- and third-rounders away for Anthony Miller and David Montgomery. It’s the weight of Eddie Goldman’s sizable salary and an ill-advised contract for slot cornerback Buster Skrine; Trey Burton’s disaster of a deal and the knee-jerk reaction to overpay for replacement Jimmy Graham. Several of general manager Ryan Pace’s decisions were celebrated in the moment (and as a Bears fan, I still support the Mack trade, even in hindsight). But all together, those moves have left the franchise short on resources and without any clear path forward. The Bears have been relegated to no-man’s-land, and the journey out might be a treacherous one.

What a weird paragraph.  Plenty of reasons to talk about why Bears were bad in 2019, but ones they picked are strange.

• I don't feel like Goldman is overpaid.  That is kind of a strange comment.  How much worse would they have been without Goldman on team in 2019?   It would have been a disaster.  
  • Skrine played up to his contract just fine and was actually better than I expected.
  • Burton was a bust signing  - okay fine.  
  • Why are you citing over paying Graham as evidence of why they stunk in 2019?  He hasn't played for Bears yet.  LOL.  That belongs in going forward section in your next paragraph.   
  • And why is it 'the past couple of seasons'?  They were good in 2018 you just said so in previous paragraph.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

What a weird paragraph.  Plenty of reasons to talk about why Bears were bad in 2019, but ones they picked are strange.

• I don't feel like Goldman is overpaid.  That is kind of a strange comment.  How much worse would they have been without Goldman on team in 2019?   It would have been a disaster.  
  • Skrine played up to his contract just fine and was actually better than I expected.
  • Why are you citing over paying Graham as evidence of why they stunk in 2019?  He hasn't played for Bears yet.  LOL.  That belongs in going forward section in your next paragraph.   
  • And why is it 'the past couple of seasons'?  They were good in 2018 you just said so in previous paragraph.  

The entire article is a mess. That guy should be ashamed of himself.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Yeah...garbage. Just garbage. 

• Like 1

I hate this kind of cheap journalism.....essentially if you bet on the other 31 teams (the field) you will be right most of the time. If the Bears win, no one even remembers you were down on them and you can just post a bunch of pleasant surprise type stories. Brad Biggs does this kind of crap all the time too.

If you just say the Bears are a mess you basically can claim to be right up until the 2nd round of the playoffs....if we do make it that far then nobody cares anyway and you can just write feel good stuff about Grahams surprising season or whatever haha.....It is so lame to me.....thats why I like this thread.....take some chances, get hype about our team.....literally only 8 teams have whats considered a good season every year. Just hope its yours, no need for pessimism. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 4:58 AM, Sugashane said:

Especially since the part of that we were missing was EJax sitting behind him. That was the major missing link, because Prince was super aggressive and could really reroute a WR and EJax would capitalize on overthrows. For some reason Pagano wanted EJax to have to limit his effectiveness rather than HHCD limit his own (as both were better suited to being deep coverage guys). Prince fit well within that spectrum,  it isn't a guy that has the elite speed to catch up on those poor press reps. He needed that back up. 

Fuller is also a pretty good tackler for a CB, so with him being in off-man he usually can limit YAC, so Prince and EJax was usually a damn good combo. Hopefully Johnson shows some serious aggressiveness and takes Princes role over soundly. 

Agreed.  We did not help ourselves by taking Eddie Jackson out of centerfield to accommodate HHC-D.  With the additions we've made at Safety hopefully we've corrected that problem now.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 3:51 PM, dll2000 said:

Bears 2020 O line will be very interesting to me.  Shortened offseason and a new coach and at least one new starter, likely Ifedi.  I think Ifedi will be better than any one thinks.  I am not worried about him.  I am very worried about our OTs.  I think we could have drafted 2 quality young OTs in this draft and passed on them both and it really disappoints me.  

On 6/4/2020 at 3:51 PM, dll2000 said:

He is going to have draft some next year or spend big on a FA or 2.  He hasn't developed any OTs in house. I don't see 2 7th rounders being likely to emerge as the guys.  

Watching some of Ifedi's old game vids at RG what I saw is a kid who plays with an attitude much like Kyle Long's.  He's far more of a runaway dump truck with a power than a finesse guy so while I question the fit just a little maybe he's just what that OL needs especially at RG.  Someone Montgomery and Cohen can run behind as we could when Long was in his prime.

OT does need attention and will in all likelihood need to be rebuilt.  Leno and Massie are as good as they'll ever be and long term that's not good enough.  Since it's nearly impossible to get a top OT in FA period and quite expensive to even sign second tier type guys we're gonna have to start drafting them more often and higher than the 6th or 7th round.

If we don't have to target a QB in round one next year an OT should be a given.  To be honest unless we lose 10 games instead of winning 10 (or more) I can't see where we'll be in a position to draft a top QB prospect but if the OT class has some depth to it we should be able to find an OT we like.  Then it's gonna be up to Castillo to build one out of the other prospects he has.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Watching some of Ifedi's old game vids at RG what I saw is a kid who plays with an attitude much like Kyle Long's.  He's far more of a runaway dump truck with a power than a finesse guy so while I question the fit just a little maybe he's just what that OL needs especially at RG.  Someone Montgomery and Cohen can run behind as we could when Long was in his prime.

OT does need attention and will in all likelihood need to be rebuilt.  Leno and Massie are as good as they'll ever be and long term that's not good enough.  Since it's nearly impossible to get a top OT in FA period and quite expensive to even sign second tier type guys we're gonna have to start drafting them more often and higher than the 6th or 7th round.

If we don't have to target a QB in round one next year an OT should be a given.  To be honest unless we lose 10 games instead of winning 10 (or more) I can't see where we'll be in a position to draft a top QB prospect but if the OT class has some depth to it we should be able to find an OT we like.  Then it's gonna be up to Castillo to build one out of the other prospects he has.

In a perfect world I think you are able to go QB in round 1 and then OT in 2. From 20000ft it looks like there might be some options for both that line up like that (* I know year-out prognosticating is bull) I think other options would be S, EDGE, WR

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

In a perfect world I think you are able to go QB in round 1 and then OT in 2. From 20000ft it looks like there might be some options for both that line up like that (* I know year-out prognosticating is bull) I think other options would be S, EDGE, WR

Count me as one who feels we're gonna see one or two more of our WRs break out this year.  I believe we're better off there than it may appear.  And I question whether or not we will ever spend a high draft pick on a Safety if there are others on the board at other positions we need to fill.  We've had good success over the years developing our own Safeties from mid and late round picks and even FA.  Paced passed on several S in round two in favor of a CB.

QB notwithstanding I would keep bringing in OL and Edge guys every year along with dominant interior DL.  For Smith and DT to be effective we have to keep OL off them.  It's our DL and it's depth that makes us dangerous on defense and we should see more 4-3 type fronts this year using Nichols and RRH in rotation with Hicks and Goldman.  This defense functions best around big quick DL who can stop the run and collapse the pocket on passing downs.

• Like 1