Teams can no longer block assistant coaches from interviewing for Coordinator positions

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

The Bengals helped the Broncos win a Super Bowl with their classless move to block Vance Joseph from interviewing to be our DC. Hired Wade Phillips instead. 

You're welcome.  And do you know why they did?  The plan was to promote Joseph to HC when Lewis left, but he went another route.  Good for us too

10 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Cool. 

Anyone got a solid list of guys who are likely to be the first crop of guys? I can't think of many off the top of my head recently that got blocked despite having a lot of rumors of HC openings.

Most teams generally don't block, because it's counterproductive.  Guys who are worth their salt and may get that chance as a DC/OC have multiple opportunities, and won't go to the teams who traditionally block.  Those who aren't viewed as such generally only have the one opportunity, but it doesn't matter anyway.

There are exceptions, but i don't really think this will change much.

15 minutes ago, theJ said:

Most teams generally don't block, because it's counterproductive.  Guys who are worth their salt and may get that chance as a DC/OC have multiple opportunities, and won't go to the teams who traditionally block.  Those who aren't viewed as such generally only have the one opportunity, but it doesn't matter anyway.

There are exceptions, but i don't really think this will change much.

I agree.  There isn't going to be a huge shift, because it wasn't all that frequent where position coaches were blocked from being coordinators elsewhere.  So, if the 49ers coaches were good enough to be offered jobs as OC/DCs elsewhere, they would have likely been able to do so without this rule now being permitted.  It's not like we heard of Shanahan blocking anyone (unless it happened under the cover of COVID).  

Feel like there has to be some teams around the league who were already letting this happen. I know the Ravens under Harbaugh for instance have always let position coaches be interviewed for coordinator gigs and I can’t imagine they’ve been alone in doing that

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Really, teams never should have been able to block a guy interviewing for what is essentially a promotion.

I agree, but there are some exceptions. A couple years ago the Vikings blocked Kevin Stefanski from interviewing for the OC job with the Giants (following Pat Shurmur) when he was the QB coach for the Vikings. He had been with the Vikings for a long time, made it through a few coaching regimes and was being primed to eventually be their OC. 

Mike Zimmer implied afterwards that they weren't going to let Stefanski get poached after they had been "grooming" him to be OC for so long. Stefanski took over as interim OC the next season and was officially OC in 2019.

It could really hurt teams if an OC gets a head coaching job somewhere, they could essentially bring over every position coach that worked with them to their new team now.