Teams can no longer block assistant coaches from interviewing for Coordinator positions

RaidersAreOne

19 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Mike LaFleur, welcome to Green Bay.

Schefter says his contract was expriring this. However, he ended up signing a contract extension. With the new rules though, its easier to leave if the Packers (or any other team) make a serious offer next offseason.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/49ers-reward-key-offensive-assistant-mike-lafleur-with-contract-extension-per-report/

Edited by 49ersfan

18 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

This would happen right when the 49ers get good....>:(

Image result for This sucks gif

I wouldn't be as annoyed if the 49ers won the Super Bowl. 17 games in 2021, only one first round BYE, and now assistant coaches can get snatched up easier. A tough pill to swallow on top of that loss. 

• Like 1

I honestly thought this was already a thing.  I didn't think they could block the move if it was deemed a promotion, only lateral moves.  And that is where a lot of teams started to get passing game and running game coordinators on both sides of the ball, to give them more authority and title to hold onto them.  I guess this eliminates the need for that?  

8 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Now you're going to have teams hiring old coaches they know won't leave.

I could see this in some instances, but unless the older coaches aren't afraid to innovate, I think you might still see the same thing.  If a coach isn't willing to grow or learn new things, similar to how LSU let Joe Brady install some wrinkles in his offense, you aren't going to get better.  

Hell, Navy runs a triple option and had Chip Kelly for a spring practice week come in and practice spread concepts with us.  

• Like 1

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

I could see this in some instances, but unless the older coaches aren't afraid to innovate, I think you might still see the same thing.  If a coach isn't willing to grow or learn new things, similar to how LSU let Joe Brady install some wrinkles in his offense, you aren't going to get better.  

Hell, Navy runs a triple option and had Chip Kelly for a spring practice week come in and practice spread concepts with us.  

Agreed. Old coaches getting so caught up in their old ways and not learning to adapt are what usually cripple themselves and the team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Agreed. Old coaches getting so caught up in their old ways and not learning to adapt are what usually cripple themselves and the team.

The biggest culprits are the coaches who are stuck with "their system" and won't adapt it regardless.  A negative example is Rex Ryan going to Buffalo, and hiring his brother and changing their defense to a 3-4.  They had the perfect line for the 4-3, and a traditionally solid defense at that time.  Not only did this alienate the best player, but it took everyone out of their comfort zone and a big reason why Ryan was out in two years and hasn't coached again.  

A positive example is John Harbaugh two years ago having one foot out the door- many in the area were expecting him to be let go.  Yet they start Lamar Jackson and Greg Roman designed an offense for him, and look at what happened that year and last year.  

I was really down on the Redskins coaching signings, especially Scott Turner as the OC......partially because he is Norv's son.  But I just read an interview that he did, and when he took over for his dad, he wasn't afraid to make changes.  Specifically, he saw how Samuel and Moore werent being used correctly with Kyle Allen's strengths and weaknesses, so he changed how they were utilized.  He's also heavy into football analytics.  It's great to have that kind of thinking and mindset on the team, instead of someone who is stuck in their ways and wants to fit the players into the scheme they have, not fit the scheme to the players.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The biggest culprits are the coaches who are stuck with "their system" and won't adapt it regardless.  A negative example is Rex Ryan going to Buffalo, and hiring his brother and changing their defense to a 3-4.  They had the perfect line for the 4-3, and a traditionally solid defense at that time.  Not only did this alienate the best player, but it took everyone out of their comfort zone and a big reason why Ryan was out in two years and hasn't coached again.  

A positive example is John Harbaugh two years ago having one foot out the door- many in the area were expecting him to be let go.  Yet they start Lamar Jackson and Greg Roman designed an offense for him, and look at what happened that year and last year.  

I was really down on the Redskins coaching signings, especially Scott Turner as the OC......partially because he is Norv's son.  But I just read an interview that he did, and when he took over for his dad, he wasn't afraid to make changes.  Specifically, he saw how Samuel and Moore werent being used correctly with Kyle Allen's strengths and weaknesses, so he changed how they were utilized.  He's also heavy into football analytics.  It's great to have that kind of thinking and mindset on the team, instead of someone who is stuck in their ways and wants to fit the players into the scheme they have, not fit the scheme to the players.  

Absolutely. Another name I would put into that category of coaches who were stuck with their system and not willing to go out of their comfort zone is John Fox. Even with his wins and SB appearance in Denevr, he was still trying to run the same defensive scheme that he ran with Carolina in the early 2000's and got lucky that it worked in Denver because of the players he had there. But the minute he stepped foot in Chicago while STILL trying recapture the past ---when we were starving for talent on defense-- it really showed the old time flaws in in his ways. Since he left, players like Fuller, Floyd, and Prince have had their best years.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, theJ said:

Most teams generally don't block, because it's counterproductive.  Guys who are worth their salt and may get that chance as a DC/OC have multiple opportunities, and won't go to the teams who traditionally block.  Those who aren't viewed as such generally only have the one opportunity, but it doesn't matter anyway.

There are exceptions, but i don't really think this will change much.

This certainly changes things for the niners

We are simultaneously a desirable place for young coaches and a place other teams have continuously tried to poach our coaches, even though we were a bad football team. 

Kyle took a lot of heat for blocking interviews last offseason, but people forget we were 4-12. If people around the league wanted to hire our coaches when we were 4-12 it is going to happen a lot over the forseeable future. Its an inevitability, and one that the 49ers have experienced before... Mike Shanahan and Holmgren are two prime examples. Its the nature of the beast but it also used to happen a lot more slowly than it does now. 

This will always be called the kyle shanahan rule in my book. Im not even slightly worried because I believe in Kyle as a schemer and john lynch as a recruiter 

I just hope that a lot of assistants out there understand that they will be receiving interviews for the sole purpose of gathering information about a system, coach, player etc. Its a natural part of a job interview to talk about your experiences, but some people will get interviews that are not real interviews, and the ones gullible enough to not see it for what it is are also the same kinds of guys that will divulge information. Its a 32 way street so its an interesting chess game for sure

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The biggest culprits are the coaches who are stuck with "their system" and won't adapt it regardless. 

Jeff Fisher is great example of someone who did this. It actually served him well with the Titans, but with the Rams, the results were not good. 

An example of a coach who does this extremely well, in my opinion, is a college coach but it's Dan Mullen from Florida. The guy might be the absolute best coach in the country at building a system that tailors to his players' strengths. Florida started off the season as a run-first team. Then our QB got hurt, the backup came in and showed he was a better passer, the line sucked and we couldn't run on FCS teams, so Mullen said: Screw it. Air raid offense with the backup. Midseason. And it worked. It was unbelievable. Not many coaches would do that. Adaptability is what separates the great coaches from the good ones, IMO. 

A good coach can win with his players. 

A great coach can win with any players. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Jeff Fisher is great example of someone who did this. It actually served him well with the Titans, but with the Rams, the results were not good. 

An example of a coach who does this extremely well, in my opinion, is a college coach but it's Dan Mullen from Florida. The guy might be the absolute best coach in the country at building a system that tailors to his players' strengths. Florida started off the season as a run-first team. Then our QB got hurt, the backup came in and showed he was a better passer, the line sucked and we couldn't run on FCS teams, so Mullen said: Screw it. Air raid offense with the backup. Midseason. And it worked. It was unbelievable. Not many coaches would do that. Adaptability is what separates the great coaches from the good ones, IMO. 

A good coach can win with his players. 

A great coach can win with any players. 

Kind of off-topic, but I disagree with fisher. I never thought he was a good coach even before the whole Rams debacle. Just my opinion is all.

It's one thing for a coach to have good plan in mind based on how they envision it and put certain players in position that they think best suite the scheme. But it's another thing to actually follow thru with that very same plan and actually put it to practice in real-time games. I mean, you can't teach the players one thing in practice and then switch it up instantly during a game when your initial plan isn't working and expect the same results without a backup idea that is planned.

This is where the ability to be able adapt comes into play. 

18 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

True. Just playing devil's advocate here

The better comparison would actually be practice squad to 53-man roster, where teams cannot block a player from signing a contract to join another team's 53-man roster (with a few caveats). That would be the level advancement similar to what we are talking about here.