Jump to content
ET80

Who wins the AFC South?

Who wins?  

49 members have voted

  1. 1. 2020 AFC South Champ?

    • The Incumbent - Houston
      10
    • The Overachiever - Tennessee
      25
    • The Old Guard - Indianapolis
      13
    • The Bad Boy - Jacksonville
      1


Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Moving the goalpost here, Vans.

Yeah...big difference between a division being "trash" and not having "easy to see" SB contenders.

The division has three teams with legit shots to be .500 or better and one having a young QB who outplayed all the other rookies at the position last year. Whether or not you believe in Minshew there's still a chance he continues to develop/builds on it and carries the Jags to a respectable record/competitive team.

A lot of divisions have maybe a team or two that are solid-good with trash after that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AFCN is better than the AFCS IMO.  They're both weaker than any division in the NFC though other than possibly the NFCE.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The AFCN is better than the AFCS IMO

Based on what? I'm legit curious, you really don't have a dog in the fight so your opinion would be valuable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The AFCN is better than the AFCS IMO.  They're both weaker than any division in the NFC though other than possibly the NFCE.

You have the Ravens and meh.

Browns/Mayfield were bad. Expecting a rookie QB to make much noise is super unlikely for the Bengals. Steelers have a good D but we really don't know where Ben is/will be.

NFCE has the Giants and Redskins who were v bad last year and I'm not sure how either have shown they have obvious progress this upcoming year. Eagles still have plenty of questions and Wentz hasn't shown he can stay healthy when it matters yet.

AFC West you have the Chiefs and...

Broncos have a super young offense and we don't know how Lock will look. Raiders still have Carr at QB. Chargers have Tyrod or a rookie QB. Solid team all around but they never live up to expectations and Tyrod is a downgrade from Rivers.

That's just touching on a few. But all three of the above I'm not sure really are much better, if at all, and possibly worse.

Watson has a legit shot to be able to carry the Texans regardless of BOB. He's that good. Titans made it to the AFCCG and didn't lose anyone that is irreplaceable. Colts won 7 games with an injured Brissett and a couple spot starts from Hoyer.

Like...it's not "trash". I expect regression from the Titans but they still likely flirt with double digits wins and the Texans likely get there too. Colts are a wildcard depending on Rivers, but he's likely an upgrade to what came from the position last year and Ballard has built up a quality overall team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don’t care about the past. The division is crap. 

 

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

@ET80 @.Buzz

No team is atrocious 

It's possible that you and I have different opinions on fecal matter (aka crap). To me, crap IS atrocious - it's the most disgusting stuff on the planet.

Maybe you have a fondness for feces? I don't know, enlighten me... 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, the NFCN has an aging Rodgers (that also had a garbage draft with their top pick being someone that will be a backup) and the Vikings who have Cousins at QB (who I don't believe in). Then you have Mitsubishi/Foles at QB with a suspect OL that also was not a good team last year as well as the Lions...

So two teams that I don't view having any chance at the playoffs as well as two teams I also don't see as much of a shot to hoist a Lombardi...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think Tennessee wins this crap division, but really no team would surprise me. 
 

I think the Colts slide, as do the Texans. 
 

Something like:

 

Titans: 10-6 

Colts: 7-9

Jaguars: 6-10

Texans: 5-11

 

I don’t think any of these teams are contenders

As a fan of the team that owns Houston's 1st and 2nd round pick next draft, this would please me to no end.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ET80 said:

Based on what? I'm legit curious, you really don't have a dog in the fight so your opinion would be valuable.

It's driven mostly by my belief in Mayfield and Burrow as potential top 16 QBs in 2020.  Both are former 1st overall picks who I think deserved the capital invested in them.  Baker's mechanics went to crap last year, which I believe was mostly due to his lack of faith in his OTs.  They've significantly upgraded that position this offseason.

I also really like the weapons on the Bengals and Browns: AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Joe Mixon, Tee Higgins, John Ross, OBJ, Nick Chubb, Jarvis Landry, Austin Hooper, Kareem Hunt, David Njoku.  These are very good supporting casts for these young QBs.

I understand the Browns have been nauseatingly over-hyped in the offseason in the past, but I really do think this is the year it comes together given their weapons, the investment they've made in their OL, and my belief in Baker.

The Bengals do have questions on their OL, but I think Burrow's ability to navigate a muddled pocket is special, which will somewhat negate that, and I think he'll pick up NFL coverages quickly enough for him to make noise his rookie year.

I do have questions with both of their defenses, but not enough to make me think that'll significantly drag them down.

I also think Big Ben comes back healthy, and if he's even 80% of what he was, the Steelers will make noise behind that top 3 defense.

 

For the AFCS, I do like Watson... a lot.  But his weapons don't inspire a lot of confidence, even if Fuller can somehow stay healthy this season.

I'm a fan of Tannehill, though I expect him to regress.  That defense and run game should probably lead them to a division win though.

I'm not a fan of Rivers at this point of his career.  I live in LA, and have watched a lot of his games the past couple years.  Let's just say I'll be shocked if the Colts aren't drafting a QB in the 1st round in 2021.  The run game and OL may be good enough to carry him, but that defense isn't.

Minshew should be okay playing with Gruden, but there's a ceiling on a Gruden offense that I don't think Minshew will reach.  I don't see him reaching the heights Cousins did (which were never all that great).  The defense isn't anywhere close to what it once was, and I'm not a big Fournette fan... especially in a Gruden offense.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ET80 said:

It's not a stretch to say that the two worst teams in football are in the AFC North.

lol Cleveland is the worst team in football?

 

They won 6 games last year and vastly improved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It's driven mostly by my belief in Mayfield and Burrow as potential top 16 QBs in 2020.  Both are former 1st overall picks who I think deserved the capital invested in them.  Baker's mechanics went to crap last year, which I believe was mostly due to his lack of faith in his OTs.  They've significantly upgraded that position this offseason.

I also really like the weapons on the Bengals and Browns: AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Joe Mixon, Tee Higgins, John Ross, OBJ, Nick Chubb, Jarvis Landry, Austin Hooper, Kareem Hunt, David Njoku.  These are very good supporting casts for these young QBs.

I understand the Browns have been nauseatingly over-hyped in the offseason in the past, but I really do think this is the year it comes together given their weapons, the investment they've made in their OL, and my belief in Baker.

The Bengals do have questions on their OL, but I think Burrow's ability to navigate a muddled pocket is special, which will somewhat negate that, and I think he'll pick up NFL coverages quickly enough for him to make noise his rookie year.

I do have questions with both of their defenses, but not enough to make me think that'll significantly drag them down.

I also think Big Ben comes back healthy, and if he's even 80% of what he was, the Steelers will make noise behind that top 3 defense.

 

For the AFCS, I do like Watson... a lot.  But his weapons don't inspire a lot of confidence, even if Fuller can somehow stay healthy this season.

I'm a fan of Tannehill, though I expect him to regress.  That defense and run game should probably lead them to a division win though.

I'm not a fan of Rivers at this point of his career.  I live in LA, and have watched a lot of his games the past couple years.  Let's just say I'll be shocked if the Colts aren't drafting a QB in the 1st round in 2021.  The run game and OL may be good enough to carry him, but that defense isn't.

Minshew should be okay playing with Gruden, but there's a ceiling on a Gruden offense that I don't think Minshew will reach.  I don't see him reaching the heights Cousins did (which were never all that great).  The defense isn't anywhere close to what it once was, and I'm not a big Fournette fan... especially in a Gruden offense.

 

Fair point but it seems like you’re banking on what these teams will look like in the future rather then now. If you line up all the teams in the AFCN and AFCS other then the Ravens there’s no solid argument the AFCN is better.

Edited by Blackstar12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blackstar12 said:

Fair point but it seems like you’re banking on what these teams will look like in the future rather now. If you line up all the teams in the AFCN and AFCS other then the Ravens there’s no solid argument the AFCN is better.

I think anyone reasonable will tell you the Ravens are better than the Titans... despite their playoff loss last year.

A healthy Big Ben makes the Steelers better than the Texans IMO.

I think the Browns will be better than the Colts, but you can easily argue they're the same right now.  Same with the Bengals and Jags.

 

46 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

You have the Ravens and meh.

Browns/Mayfield were bad. Expecting a rookie QB to make much noise is super unlikely for the Bengals. Steelers have a good D but we really don't know where Ben is/will be.

NFCE has the Giants and Redskins who were v bad last year and I'm not sure how either have shown they have obvious progress this upcoming year. Eagles still have plenty of questions and Wentz hasn't shown he can stay healthy when it matters yet.

AFC West you have the Chiefs and...

Broncos have a super young offense and we don't know how Lock will look. Raiders still have Carr at QB. Chargers have Tyrod or a rookie QB. Solid team all around but they never live up to expectations and Tyrod is a downgrade from Rivers.

That's just touching on a few. But all three of the above I'm not sure really are much better, if at all, and possibly worse.

Watson has a legit shot to be able to carry the Texans regardless of BOB. He's that good. Titans made it to the AFCCG and didn't lose anyone that is irreplaceable. Colts won 7 games with an injured Brissett and a couple spot starts from Hoyer.

Like...it's not "trash". I expect regression from the Titans but they still likely flirt with double digits wins and the Texans likely get there too. Colts are a wildcard depending on Rivers, but he's likely an upgrade to what came from the position last year and Ballard has built up a quality overall team.

Yes, there are a lot of questions all over the league.  But I think there are just as many questions in the AFCS.  So the floors are pretty similar across divisions, but I think the ceiling is definitely higher for the NFCW, NFCS, NFCN, AFCN and AFCW.  NFCE is probably a wash with the AFCS.  The AFCE is clearly the worst division in football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

lol Cleveland is the worst team in football?

 

They won 6 games last year and vastly improved.

They're closer to 32 than 10 at absolute best. I think we can agree on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ET80 said:

They're closer to 32 than 10 at absolute best. I think we can agree on that.

We’ll see. I would bet they’re closer to 10 than 32 this year. I’d bet a lot on that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

We’ll see. I would bet they’re closer to 10 than 32 this year. I’d bet a lot on that. 

I'm certain they still a bottom 10 team. They don't get benefit anymore, they have to actually live up to expectations instead of living off of off-season rankings.

People give Baker a lot of credit, they put a ton of blame on the OL, but 50 turnovers over the last two years is Blake Bortles/Marcus Mariota bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm certain they still a bottom 10 team. They don't get benefit anymore, they have to actually live up to expectations instead of living off of off-season rankings.

People give Baker a lot of credit, they put a ton of blame on the OL, but 50 turnovers over the last two years is Blake Bortles/Marcus Mariota bad. 

We’ll see. Jersey of our choice bet? I’m good for it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...