Who wins?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. 2020 AFC South Champ?

• The Incumbent - Houston
    • The Overachiever - Tennessee
    • The Old Guard - Indianapolis
    • The Bad Boy - Jacksonville

15 minutes ago, Titans_Matt said:

I'm not really understanding all the experts picking Indy to win the division because Brissett to 38 year old Rivers seems like a very lateral move to me

Not sure I see a lateral move there.

But a drastic upgrade? Nah.

44 minutes ago, Daniel said:

No, and that's not what I'm saying.  Patrick Mahomes had a record 2018, and he regressed in 19 because yes, historical things don't happen twice in a row like that.  But he was still an elite QB in 2019.  That's not really regression, that's an elite player still playing at a slightly less elite level.  I'm talking about significant steps backward.  Henry and Tannehill are both in situation where historically, almost every player in similar situations regressed drastically.  Jackson isn't.  They're two different things, and that's why it makes sense to say only one of those should regress significantly.

Yeah maybe Jackson doesn’t regress significantly like Mahomes didn’t, but what about Baltimore’s rushing attack as a whole? The other top rushing attacks of all time have largely shown a pattern of great decline the following season:

The 1978 Patriots went from 3,165 yards to 2,252 the next.

The 1973 Bills went from 3,088 yards to 2,094 the next. 

The 1978 Chiefs went from 2,986 yards to 2,316 the next.

The Titans were 100% the better team in the playoff game that night. No question. Will always give them props for that.

Acting like the Titans were even close to a better team than the Ravens last year over an entire season’s sample size is outrageous at worst and disingenuous at best. 

The Ravens were 14-2, were #1 in Offensive PPG and #3 in Defensive PPG. 

They ran through a gauntlet of some of the best teams in the league last year and came out virtually unscathed.

Wins against New England (17 points), @Seattle (14 points), 49ers (close game), Houston (34 points), @Rams (39), @Bills (close game). The only playoff team they played and lost to was @KC. 

I get the whole divisional pride thing. To be honest I don’t really care about the argument - I want my division to be worse. But to act that because the Titans beat the Ravens that night might mean they were a better team than them last year? No. Sorry. They played a great game. But that’s what happens in the NFL - sometimes the team that’s been better that year doesn’t always win.

The Titans (9-7) beating the Ravens (14-2) last year and using that to claim they were a better team is the equivalent to seeing a 6-10 team beating an 11-5 team in the regular season. It happens quite a bit. It’s the NFL. But no one in their right mind tries to use the post-hoc justification that’s been used in this thread when that happens to try and argue that 6-10 team was actually better when you really think about it - because they beat them at their own game, or something.

Edited by Ray Reed

3 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Acting like the Titans were even close to a better team than the Ravens last year over an entire season’s sample size is outrageous at worst and disingenuous at best. 

I don't think anyone is saying that - numbers are black and white, the Ravens were the 1 seed, Titans were the 6th seed.

What I'm saying is that Tennessee wins the rubber match when it happens (which'll be this season, actually). Doesn't matter what each teams' respective record is, the Titans match up well against the Ravens.

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don't think anyone is saying that - numbers are black and white, the Ravens were the 1 seed, Titans were the 6th seed.

What I'm saying is that Tennessee wins the rubber match when it happens (which'll be this season, actually). Doesn't matter what each teams' respective record is, the Titans match up well against the Ravens.

Certainly possible. Baltimore will be coming off a Sunday night game in New England that game, and Tennessee will be coming off a Thursday night home game with a mini-bye going into the game. 

Maybe you weren’t saying you think Tennessee is/was better, and you were just commenting on how they match up with us...they certainly match up very well with us. But it’s odd to acknowledge the fact that Baltimore was a better team last year, while simultaneously bringing up the playoff game in an argument for which division is better - “The Ravens were a better team last year - but the Titans beat them last year, so, edge: AFC South”. Kind of a having your cake and eating too situation when trying to defend the division IMO

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Is it normal to be more confused on that meme AFTER reading what you said?

Asking for a friend. Myself.

I get the meme, but he explained it TERRIBLY. It's a play on the Expectation vs. Reality contrast. You expect, or want, or plan something GOOD, but it unfortunately turns out bad.

It's...not a great example of the meme, and poorly laid out in the tweet.

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

The Titans were 100% the better team in the playoff game that night. No question. Will always give them props for that.

They ran through a gauntlet of some of the best teams in the league last year and came out virtually unscathed.

Wins against New England (17 points), @Seattle (14 points), 49ers (close game), Houston (34 points), @Rams (39), @Bills (close game). The only playoff team they played and lost to was @KC. 

I get the whole divisional pride thing. To be honest I don’t really care about the argument - I want my division to be worse. But to act that because the Titans beat the Ravens that night might mean they were a better team than them last year? No. Sorry. They played a great game. But that’s what happens in the NFL - sometimes the team that’s been better that year doesn’t always win.

The Titans (9-7) beating the Ravens (14-2) last year and using that to claim they were a better team is the equivalent to seeing a 6-10 team beating an 11-5 team in the regular season. It happens quite a bit. It’s the NFL. But no one in their right mind tries to use the post-hoc justification that’s been used in this thread when that happens to try and argue that 6-10 team was actually better when you really think about it - because they beat them at their own game, or something.

9-7 didn’t indicate the type of team we were once Tannehill took over. We were 7-3 with him, extrapolate that to a 16 game sample size and we resemembled more of a 12-4 team.

15 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Tennessee beat KC in the regular season, so...

12 hours ago, dtait93 said:

9-7 didn’t indicate the type of team we were once Tannehill took over. We were 7-3 with him, extrapolate that to a 16 game sample size and we resemembled more of a 12-4 team.

This.  The Titans were a much better team than their record last season, especially near the end, when Simmons came off the bench and the guys replacing our major injuries were coming into their own.

I admit over the whole season that Baltimore was better.  I would dispute that they were a better team at the season's end.  I don't know how much more the Titans needed to prove after they won 7 of 10 games, including KC, then went to New England and beat the Pats before coming to Baltimore and stomping the Ravens.  They even lost to KC by less than the 49ers did IIRC.