Who are your favorite possible coaching candidates for 2021?

JAF-N72EX

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I really like Nagy.  I hope he proves his offense can work, as right now he's grading incomplete.  Seems like a great guy and leader, but the only reason his record is as good as it is is due to a defense he inherited.  

And consequently, the only reason he's grading incomplete is due to the offense he inherited. Ultimately it's his job to get this thing in the right direction, hence the reason for this thread, but I think we can all agree that the talent on that side of the ball is lacking.

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I really like Nagy.  I hope he proves his offense can work, as right now he's grading incomplete.  Seems like a great guy and leader, but the only reason his record is as good as it is is due to a defense he inherited.  

I love him as a leader. I hope he's here for a long, long time.

• Like 1

Nagy is a good HC but not a good play-caller.  I'm willing to give him ~8 games to show improvement as an offensive coach but that's it. After that I want to him to hand it over to someone else and focus solely on running the team/staff.  Andy Reid gave up play-calling duties and handed it over to Nagy to help his resume and I would expect the same thing from him.

Edit: Disclaimer: If his first play-call of the season is an outside run to the right then I will have lost all hope. Immediately. 

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, The_Romen said:

Suprise! It's a bubble screen to Miller. Did he shock and thrill you?

Not a surprise at all..  It's actually pretty coincidental you say that because a screen pass is literally #2 on my list of plays that I do NOT wanna see Nagy run to open the game.  His scripted plays may be our best chance and I want him to get creative, not predictable.

Given Nagy's 2 year history here, an outside run with Cohen or a screen pass are the two most likely play-calls--maybe even consecutively. And if I see either of them, I will punch the closest kitten I can find in the throat.

The first play in the 2018 opener against the Packers was a crack toss to the left with Cohen. The first pass play in the game was a swing screen to Cohen. Both were ran from a power RPO.

The first play in the 2019 opener against the Packers was a toss to the left with Cohen (he fumbled the ball but had a lane). The first pass play was thrown to Arob but Cohen was setup for a screen with blockers in front and Mitch doesn't even sell the play-action or look his way. Both were run from a power RPO.

2018 vs 2019 (First play of the season)

ALYnUlm.gif 

TJlPAcu.gif 

2018 vs 2019 (First pass of the season)

Fs0Rdc3.gif 

XHn13fu.gif 

This year, we play the Lions in the opener. 

In 2018, can you guess what the first play call was? Yep, you got it! A screen pass to Cohen.

Can you guess what the first run play was? Yep, you got it! A run with Cohen to the outside.

Can you guess what the first pass play was in the 2nd game? Yep. Another screen. This time to Miller!

In 2019, can you guess what the first........you get my point B|.

If what Nagy has been saying about him re-evaluating himself is really true then it needs to start with the play-calling. Because if a arm chair fan like myself can sit here and predict his every move then I can't imagine how easy it must be for opposing defensive coordinators. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, The_Romen said:

Suprise! It's a bubble screen to Miller. Did he shock and thrill you?

False. Cohen catches a 1 yard pass for a net gain of 1.3 yards. 

Edit - damn. Didn't scroll down enough to see JAF's post. Lol

23 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Nagy is a good HC but not a good play-caller.  I'm willing to give him ~8 games to show improvement as an offensive coach but that's it. After that I want to him to hand it over to someone else and focus solely on running the team/staff.  Andy Reid gave up play-calling duties and handed it over to Nagy to help his resume and I would expect the same thing from him.

Edit: Disclaimer: If his first play-call of the season is an outside run to the right then I will have lost all hope. Immediately. 

This is where I am at. He wanted Foles apparently and got him. If he produces another bad offense with a number 2 overall pick (that he was tasked with developing and failed) and a vet system QB then you just cant keep wasting the defense. He needs to take the Harbaugh role and manage better people at thise task or be removed altogether. 

Personally I want my HC to own and run an offensive system rather than hoping he can attract good OCs. I don't want to have the offensive carousel for my QB again. 

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

If what Nagy has been saying about him re-evaluating himself is really true then it needs to start with the play-calling. Because if a arm chair fan like myself can sit here and predict his every move then I can't imagine how easy it must be for opposing defensive coordinators. 

It got to Turner/Trestman levels of bad last year. I could tell you what Turner was running when I was in 6th grade, God that guy sucked so hard.

Wasn't Miller touted as a great run blocker coming out of college? Why do we have him running screens ever? It's the same thing Trestman did with BMarsh and there's no reason to do it. That's not their game at all.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 5:00 AM, Sugashane said:

False. Cohen catches a 1 yard pass for a net gain of 1.3 yards. 

Edit - damn. Didn't scroll down enough to see JAF's post. Lol

This is where I am at. He wanted Foles apparently and got him. If he produces another bad offense with a number 2 overall pick (that he was tasked with developing and failed) and a vet system QB then you just cant keep wasting the defense. He needs to take the Harbaugh role and manage better people at thise task or be removed altogether. 

Personally I want my HC to own and run an offensive system rather than hoping he can attract good OCs. I don't want to have the offensive carousel for my QB again. 

This is a fair point and I agree.

Ideally, I would also prefer the HC to be the offensive or defensive play-caller instead of just playing captain of the ship---preferably offense.  It's the modern way. 

As a coach once said in other words (Walsh, I think?), it's easier to teach the players myself than it is to teach another coach and HOW to teach it.

That said, I think you have to always take the good with the bad and vice -versa with coaches while also having an understanding that finding a good HC is hard to find, even if they're not ideal, because trying to find a that you perceive as a perfect coach is MUCH harder to find. And if your constantly dropping some good coaches just because they don't fit the bill then you quickly become the Cleveland Browns...a team with no stability, continuity, identity, or culture.   

Nagy sure has his flaws but the good far outweighs the bad, IMO. I would love for him to figure out a way to make this offense work this year and become that HC that we both are hoping for. But if he doesn't.....then either swallow your pride and hand over the reigns to someone else and continue being the head coach. Or, if he's not willing to do that ---which I'm afraid of--then you gotta go. 

Man I'm really rooting for him here because I do like him as a coach. And if he's not willing to give up play-calling duties then I hope he can atleast salvage what he can from Mitch/Foles enough to NOT get fired so that he has a fair chance to draft his own QB next year so that we can truly see what he can do when all of the cards are in his hand.

On another note, by the way Thomas was talking about Nagy's system, he was sold on him from his time in KC.  He bigged him up. Now how much of that was just PC remains to be seen. 

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 10:38 AM, The_Romen said:

It got to Turner/Trestman levels of bad last year. I could tell you what Turner was running when I was in 6th grade, God that guy sucked so hard.

Wasn't Miller touted as a great run blocker coming out of college? Why do we have him running screens ever? It's the same thing Trestman did with BMarsh and there's no reason to do it. That's not their game at all.

You keep reading my damn mind Roman! Seriously, I was close to adding the same comparisons in my post (along with numbnuts) but I felt that may be a little harsh.

From Turner, Trestman, Loggains, and Nagy it's like we went from run-run-pass, to pass-pass-pass, back to run-run-pass, back to pass-pass-pass.

As much as I hated Trestman and Loggains from the get......I don't think there is a single OC on this planet that I hate more than Turner. 

Using Marsh's size for blocking was more understandable because that's one of the most underrated qualities of a WR is being able to hold your blocks on the outside and in the slot. 

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Turner wasted so much talent for so long because he was Lovies buddy. Trestman is just an idiot.

Loggains seemed like he might've been able to become a solid OC... He had flashes with deplorable talent given to him.

Nagy absolutely deserved any hate towards his play calling last year, it was horrid. Him as a coach, perfectly fine. I'm hoping Foles will open up the offense more, not that I necessarily want him to win the job.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 11:35 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

2018 vs 2019 (First play of the season)

ALYnUlm.gif 

TJlPAcu.gif 

2018 vs 2019 (First pass of the season)

Fs0Rdc3.gif 

XHn13fu.gif 

I dunno, JAF. Both of those duds from 2019 look like Trubisky ****-ups to me...

On 6/14/2020 at 12:39 PM, Heinz D. said:

I dunno, JAF. Both of those duds from 2019 look like Trubisky ****-ups to me...

I was referring to the play-calling itself, not the outcome. 

That said, the first pitch the Cohen was not on Trubisky. that was on Cohen. That was one of those plays where the runner/catcher is looking at where he was going to run before he had the ball.  The first read attempt throw by Mitch was on him though. For one, he didn't sell the play-action at all in order draw the defenders in and then he made a mistake by not reading the defense pre-snap knowing he had a favorable matchup on the opposite side of the field. 

Edited by JustAnotherFan

On 6/21/2020 at 2:04 AM, JustAnotherFan said:

I was referring to the play-calling itself, not the outcome. 

I agree that Nagy was profoundly "too cute" last year. 

On 6/21/2020 at 2:04 AM, JustAnotherFan said:

That said, the first pitch the Cohen was not on Trubisky. that was on Cohen. That was one of those plays where the runner/catcher is looking at where he was going to run before he had the ball.  The first read attempt throw by Mitch was on him though. For one, he didn't sell the play-action at all in order draw the defenders in and then he made a mistake by not reading the defense pre-snap knowing he had a favorable matchup on the opposite side of the field. 

I don't know man...that a HORRIBLE pitch by Trubisky. It's even kind of a spastic motion by him altogether. And I'm not one to let Cohen's terrible play last season off easily. 

The screen he could have easily thrown. It would have been a positive play.