Aldon Smith reinstated

Rtnldave

7 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

I have a positive feeling about this...

Okay optimistically speaking here but wouldn't it be awesome if he were Charles Haley 2.0? Wow, would that ignite this defense!

Not saying he will be, but it would be awesome. We need that kind of mean streak on defense.

Good for Smith. Truly hope he has changed his life around. BUUTTTTT I’m also a realist. He hasn’t played in 5 years. That’s a very long time to be a way from the game. If we can get just 4-5 sacks, couple more hits/Knockdowns and a few TFL’s out of him I’d be satisfied. 

just feel that we are throwing darts at that DE spot (opposite of Lawrence) with a bunch of rotational pieces. Just hoping that something sticks. 

Edited by textaz03
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

Good for Smith. Truly hope he has changed his life around. BUUTTTTT I’m also a realist. He hasn’t played in 5 years. That’s a very long time to be a way from the game. If we can get just 4-5 sacks, couple more hits/Knockdowns and a few TFL’s out of him I’d be satisfied. 

just feel that we are throwing darts at that DE spot (opposite of Lawrence) with a bunch of rotational pieces. Just hoping that something sticks. 

That's a very reasonable position. 

1 hour ago, textaz03 said:

The Crawford-Gregory platoon was honestly pretty effective in 2018. Crawford may not be healthy enough to play that much again though.

I think Gregory is the guy we're really counting on here, that Smith fits in as more a hybrid piece we move around the line, I kinda like him as an inside rusher on 3rd and long. Wish we'd put that $5.5M we spent on Daryl Worley and Cameron Erving towards Everson Griffen...

WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I am WAY way WAY more excited about this than the rest of you. This is huge imo. That’s fine though. Someone has to drive the hype train. Now let’s get Gregory rolling and don’t forget about Anae. 

• Like 1

Smith took the league by storm, lest we forget? 

He was unstoppable, Bruce Smith reincarnated.

Maybe he takes half a year to get back in shape, and to find his groove again. But the funny thing about talent? You never lose talent. It can get rusty, it can get hidden by a failing body, but talent doesnt go away. This guy showed the talent of an all time great. He just screwed up away from the game. 

By week 9 or 10, if he isnt starting and beginning to come back to what we saw of him some years back, then maybe he was just a product of a fantastic situation in SF. But I dont believe that was the case.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 8:47 AM, atran35 said:

Look at Aldon Smith as our 1st round draft pick. What would you expect from DE in the first round? He is a beast but I won't expect 10 or more this season. If RG comes back they will prob. rotate in and out. 

And I thought Terence Newman was old when we drafted him! LOL