Lions @ Vikings

theuntouchable

I've been under the impression that outside Darius Slay and Grover Quin,  that your teams secondary isn't particularly noteworthy.

I'm thinking Miles Killebrew and Teez Tabor might grow into starting roles and should be decent enough. Not much depth behind them though.

Am I wrong here Lions fans? I'd like to know more about your defensive backs.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I've been under the impression that outside Darius Slay and Grover Quin,  that your teams secondary isn't particularly noteworthy.

I'm thinking Miles Killebrew and Teez Tabor might grow into starting roles and should be decent though. Not much depth behind them though.

DJ Hayden is raw trash who should never touch the field, yet our staff continuously insists on rotating him with Lawson for the second corner spot. Lawson isn't great, and he's penalty-prone, but he's somewhat sticky and physical in coverage and wraps up tackles, kind of like a poor man's Alford. He's way better than Hayden. Tabor hasn't seen the field yet after struggling in TC  and preseason. Diggs has been one of the better slot corners in the league so far this season, despite a somewhat up-and-down career with the Lions. Wilson is just a guy. Overall I'd say our secondary isn't the best, but if Lawson starts over Hayden and sees every snap, it can do a job.

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm thinking Miles Killebrew and Teez Tabor might grow into starting roles and should be decent enough. Not much depth behind them though.

My bar is set really really low, but this is without a doubt the best and deepest secondary I've seen the Lions have.

8 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Outside of those two, it's mostly unknowns. Lawson showed some promise last year but also got beat bad on a few occasions, this year he's looked like a pretty solid player. Killebrews role continues to expand and he just seems to have a knack for the football. I've seen him make some mistakes but it seems like he's picking things up more each week. He's also been big on third downs. Diggs has also shown the ability to get beat badly but has also made some great plays too. 

are they noteworthy just yet? No but they have shown some promise.

On 9/28/2017 at 8:13 AM, vike daddy said:

The Lions, however, had an extensive injury report. DE Ezekiel Ansah (knee) and G T.J. Lang (fibula), both of them starters, didn’t practice on Wednesday. Neither did reserve S Don Carey (knee) and backup RB Dwayne Washington(quadriceps). But the Lions also had seven more players limited in Wednesday’s practice, including starting safeties Glover Quinn (knee) and Tavon Wilson (shoulder), starting LB Jarrad Davis and starting C Travis Swanson (ankle).

Any updates on the guys not crossed out Lions fans? 

On 9/28/2017 at 1:55 PM, SteelKing728 said:

Nevin Lawson is the #2 CB and he's been alright. His coverage is good, but he gets grabby at times. It isn't out of the ordinary for him to get called for a DPI or for holding, but he isn't a bad player. Quandre Diggs has been the slot CB this year and has been playing very well. He's been up and down so far in his career (good his rookie year, fairly bad last year, and now playing good again this year). DJ Hayden will get some playing time at CB. He looked solid against the Cardinals, he was okay against the Giants, and he struggled a little against the Falcons. Jamal Agnew has been the 5th CB, although he hasn't seen the field much on defense. Teez Tabor hasn't been active yet.

Miles Killebrew and Tavon Wilson are solid players. The Lions like to use three safety sets with those two and Glover Quin. Wilson isn't spectacular in coverage, but he doesn't really let guys get behind him so the damage against him is usually shorter gains. Killebrew is becoming a great coverage guy at the safety spot, he has consistently made key stops on 3rd downs. All three are important pieces in the run defense. The secondary has been a strength for the Lions so far this year.

4 hours ago, VikeManDan said:
On 9/28/2017 at 9:13 AM, vike daddy said:

The Lions, however, had an extensive injury report. DE Ezekiel Ansah (knee) and G T.J. Lang (fibula), both of them starters, didn’t practice on Wednesday. Neither did reserve S Don Carey (knee) and backup RB Dwayne Washington(quadriceps). But the Lions also had seven more players limited in Wednesday’s practice, including starting safeties Glover Quinn (knee) and Tavon Wilson (shoulder), starting LB Jarrad Davis and starting C Travis Swanson (ankle).

Any updates on the guys not crossed out Lions fans? 

Ansah is always injured, he probably will play through whatever he's dealing with. Lang is going to play, he was just being given some rest. Quin is going to play. Wilson is a toss-up. Davis should play barring a set back in the next few days. Swanson is likely to play.

On 9/28/2017 at 12:31 PM, Calvin-Stafford said:

DJ Hayden is raw trash who should never touch the field, yet our staff continuously insists on rotating him with Lawson for the second corner spot. Lawson isn't great, and he's penalty-prone, but he's somewhat sticky and physical in coverage and wraps up tackles, kind of like a poor man's Alford. He's way better than Hayden. Tabor hasn't seen the field yet after struggling in TC  and preseason. Diggs has been one of the better slot corners in the league so far this season, despite a somewhat up-and-down career with the Lions. Wilson is just a guy. Overall I'd say our secondary isn't the best, but if Lawson starts over Hayden and sees every snap, it can do a job.

I would agree with you on all point with the exception being on Wilson. 

You nailed it in terms of his pass coverage.

I would argue for him being an asset in run support.

I don't use stats much. Just going off the games I watch (pretty much all of them the last 5 years) and the analysis I read.

All I know is I am thrilled about this game. 

The loss last week just reaffirmed our deficiencies and what we need to work on.

With that said, I can confidently say that I feel comfortable having expectations for this team.

I dont say this because of the last 3 games, but because of what we have shown since the horrendous start in 2015.

I hope I am not wrong, but when is the last time any Lions fan on this forum could say they had expectations?

Archived