Can a small-market, low payroll NFL team win a Super Bowl?

Championshiporbust

On 5/21/2020 at 3:08 PM, Championshiporbust said:

Can it be done? Or does it have to be superstar, flashy Boston/L.A./N.Y/Dallas style?

This isn't Baseball,  every NFL team has the same allotted Cap Space. How they choose to use it, how they draft dictates their success. Not what City they live in.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 10

Just now, DontTazeMeBro said:

Small market. Not relevant. Low pay roll. I would doubt it but I have no idea what the spending of past champions was so I can’t say for sure. But it feels like they’re usually using most of their cap space.

Well, the CBA requires that they use 90% of the salary cap, so that's just not gonna ever happen.  Unless 90% counts as low.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

You can't say it's not relevant when bigger market teams tend to attract high profile free agents. In a vacuum it's fair because of the cap, but there's a personal level to it as well. 

Eh...I mean, you're not really building your team through free agency, more or less supplementing it and filling some holes here and there, which doesn't require big free agent type.  When you have to account for the number of high profile free agents that are also just bust signings, which happens quite often,  I just don't know how much it really moves the needle to be honest because I think it's not as big of a factor as one would think when looking across the league. If you're signing solid players to solid contracts via free agency (even if they are slightly escalated salary wise just because of the nature of free agency), but not getting any of the big high profile guys with big contracts, to be honest you're probably doing just fine and well. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

Eh...I mean, you're not really building your team through free agency, more or less supplementing it and filling some holes here and there, which doesn't require big free agent type.  When you have to account for the number of high profile free agents that are also just bust signings, which happens quite often,  I just don't know how much it really moves the needle to be honest because I think it's not as big of a factor as one would think when looking across the league. 

Think about it - NYJ landed Trumaine Johnson one off-season (biggest CB on the market) and LeVeon Bell the following off-season. Did that really move the needle for them?

Team "building" is usually done via the draft - nobody (outside of Eli and Elway) dictated where they go in that respect. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

You can't say it's not relevant when bigger market teams tend to attract high profile free agents. In a vacuum it's fair because of the cap, but there's a personal level to it as well. 

I've never seen any evidence or indication that this is true.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Eh...I mean, you're not really building your team through free agency, more or less supplementing it and filling some holes here and there, which doesn't require big free agent type.  When you have to account for the number of high profile free agents that are also just bust signings, which happens quite often,  I just don't know how much it really moves the needle to be honest because I think it's not as big of a factor as one would think when looking across the league. If you're signing solid players to solid contracts via free agency (even if they are slightly escalated salary wise just because of the nature of free agency), but not getting any of the big high profile guys with big contracts, to be honest you're probably doing just fine and well. 

I don’t think it’s a crazy disadvantage but it’s something worth a noting, doesn’t have to be star players either, quality depth choosing to go to play in big market or warm climate over a smaller cold weather market for the same money. 

Pittsburgh and GB are different because of their winning tradition, so yes winning does cure all.

• Like 1