The Jets and Jamal Adams

RaidersAreOne

57 minutes ago, Malik said:

The Jets making the good faith argument to Jamal Adams makes zero sense. They're not an organization like say the Ravens that consistently shifts out great talent in the draft nor are they consistently winning franchise in the mold of the Patriots where you can at least convince him that they're part of winning culture and that means sacrifice. There's actually no one on the coaching staff or front office that can say that.

Good point (Year early IMO) - Only thing I disagree with, asking him to wait till next season for an extension is hardly a "sacrifice" or suggestion of good faith. Next season, absolutely. 

6 hours ago, NJC33 said:

I think Jet fans are in agreement on two things: 1) Jamal's a GREAT player 2) He's completely in the wrong with this stance

A trade isn't going to change that and would likely be accompanied by choice words to suggest he didn't force his way out. Honestly, a lot of fans are fed up with his antics - Thinking he's a great player has nothing to do with how fans view him personally.

This pretty much sums up my view. Impact player who is in the wrong in this situation.

I would not complain if he’s the highest paid safety. Just not more than $16 per year.

I don’t see anything wrong with paying him this year. But if the organization wants to remain flexible because of the uncertainty of next year’s cap, that’s fine and sounds prudent.

I would be somewhat pissed if we traded him though. Unless we get a haul of course. Even then I’m not sure how happy or upset I would be.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

This pretty much sums up my view. Impact player who is in the wrong in this situation.

I would not complain if he’s the highest paid safety. Just not more than $16 per year.

I don’t see anything wrong with paying him this year. But if the organization wants to remain flexible because of the uncertainty of next year’s cap, that’s fine and sounds prudent.

I would be somewhat pissed if we traded him though. Unless we get a haul of course. Even then I’m not sure how happy or upset I would be.

Personally, I'd have no issue giving him $18M. 

Bobby Wagner's contract is the most appropriate comp IMO - Like Wagner, I view Jamal as a transcendent player who shatters the positional value argument. Also, I'm fairly confident he isn't taking anything less than what we gave Mosley ($17). He's the better player and his ego is too inflated not to be the highest paid player on our defense, even if it was previous management that gave Mosley that contracted.

So long as the cap continues to rise, I think people will be surprised with the number he gets. 

Jamal Adams is a BEAST. If he does get traded, there won't be a player coming back of equal value. It'd likely be a 'futures' type of package. The Jets need to do everything in their power to convince him to stay. They need to start bringing in a winning culture, and trading Jamal Adams would have a huge negative impact on a defense that already lacks players that can get to the QB. It'd bring that defense from top-10 to middle of the road. He's that type of player.

If I'm Douglas, I'm playing hardball regarding a trade. If someone makes an offer that is undeniable, then do it. Similar to the Tunsil trade for Miami. On the other hand, I'd be absolutely willing to ante up and pay the man. I understand the concern over next year's cap, but aren't the Jets in good shape for next year's cap? There are few players worthy of anteing up and overpaying for...Jamal Adams is one of them. 

There is the chance he just doesn't want to be a Jet. In that case, you trade him for the best offer before the season. 

Edited by WizeGuy

3 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

They need to start bringing in a winning culture, and trading Jamal Adams would have a huge negative impact on a defense that already lacks players that can get to the QB. It'd bring that defense from top-10 to middle of the road. He's that type of player.

In what world is the Jets' D a top ten unit with or without Adams?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

In what world is the Jets' D a top ten unit with or without Adams?

Last year Jets were #16 in points and #7 in yards all while dealing with a Luke Faulk offense for 1/4 of the season, losing their two starting ILBs for an entire season, and with most of the secondary rotating in and out of the injury report. At one point, I could barely name our defensive starters since they were just activated from the practice squad.

It's not crazy to think this year we might break into the top 10 if we stay healthy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

Last year Jets were #16 in points and #7 in yards all while dealing with a Luke Faulk offense for 1/4 of the season, losing their two starting ILBs for an entire season, and with most of the secondary rotating in and out of the injury report. At one point, I could barely name our defensive starters since they were just activated from the practice squad.

It's not crazy to think this year we might break into the top 10 if we stay healthy.

I think if the Jets were in the NFC South and they didn't get to play the AFCN this past year, they would be closer to #22-25 in points. The only good offenses you went up against were Dallas, NE, and Lamar, and NE's offense was mostly only good because the defense put them in great situations. And no, the Bills are not a good offense. I would expect any team that got to play the AFCN, The Raiders, Minneshew, The Dolphins x2, Josh Allen x2, rookie Haskins, rookie Daniel Jones, and the beat to hell eagles to finish at least top 10. The fact you didn't with Jamal Adams is not good. I mean you guys got to play absolute trash offenses for all but 4 games, and still finished outside the top 15.

Edited by Jeezla

16 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I think if the Jets were in the NFC South and they didn't get to play the AFCN this past year, they would be closer to #22-25 in points. The only good offenses you went up against were Dallas, NE, and Lamar, and NE's offense was mostly only good because the defense put them in great situations. And no, the Bills are not a good offense. You guys played against a ton of bad offenses. Some good teams, but a lot of bad offenses outside of Dal and Bal. I would expect any team that got to play the AFCN, The Raiders, Minneshew, The Dolphins x2, Josh Allen x2, rookie Haskins, rookie Daniel Jones, and the beat to hell eagles to finish at least top 10. The fact you didn't with Jamal Adams is not good.

If you read my post you'd realize that Jamal was one of the few starters playing each week and that alone pulled us near the top 10 mark. Imagine if the rest of the starting 11 weren't constantly injured.

2 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Funny thing is i hate the Jets, but i do believe their defense is legit. They lack edge rushers, but have a good DC and some studs in Mosley and Adams. They closed out the year really strong even if it was against mediocre offenses.

Also, Im expecting they will be a top-10 unit with Mosley back and a more healthy line-up. I aint making no guarantees. Just a prediction. 

Edited by WizeGuy