The Jets and Jamal Adams

RaidersAreOne

23 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Just because you're a bad team doesn't mean you should let a player hold your team hostage. Especially if they want a record setting payday. Thats not how good teams operate. For example the Jalen Ramsey trade was a great move for the Jaguars. I'm sure you recall the Bengals trading Carson Palmer to the Raiders for an amazing haul. Khalil Mack to the Bears. 

I’m operating under the assumption that the deal he’s asking for isn’t a ludicrous amount. If it’s somewhere in the ballpark of what Eddie Jackson and Kevin Byard just signed for than it’s a reasonable ask that the Jets should be willing to pay. No team is going to meet any demands above $17-18 million annually, it doesn’t matter how much he thinks he should be paid or how much he wants. 

Also, Palmer didn’t leave because he wanted a new contract. He just wanted out. Same with Ramsey. They both had issues with the front office. 

33 minutes ago, Kirill said:

If Adams is seeking the biggest safety contract of all time I'd move him to the highest bidder.

You make it sound like a bigger deal than it is. Landon Collins, Kevin Byard, and Eddie Jackson were all the highest paid safeties in NFL history at one point. Adams is better than Collins and on the same tier as Byard and Jackson IMO. As I’m sure you are aware, as the salary cap goes up, so do the contracts. It’s natural for him to top Jackson’s deal if the Jets see him at that level. I certainly do. He’s everything you want in a strong safety in todays NFL. 

Laveon Bell

Trumaine Johnson

Considering the the bad contracts the Jets have thrown around recently I have no idea why they are upsetting their best player.

Get the deal done for the best player at his position in the NFL. The leader of your defense. 

Some teams have such regressive models of doing things. 

Edited by Kiwibrown

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

The Ravens tried to trade for him at the deadline last year.

Not sure if we’re still interested or not

I'd be surprised. Even though we were apparently sniffing around on Adams at the deadline even after trading for Marcus Peters, we hadn't yet extended Peters at that point. Combined with also locking up Chuck Clark, I just don't see us being in a position to throw big $$$ at another guy in the secondary when we know we also have the Humphrey extension coming up in the next 2 years. EDC clearly likes to build his defense from the back but at some point it'd just be over-allocating resources in a position of strength. Especially since just from a $$$ perspective we'd probably have to move Judon to be able to get Adams right now even on his 5th year option cap number. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Kirill said:

I wonder what type of money Adams is seeking. Jets might be better off trading him to the highest bidder and signing a vet replacement on a much cheaper deal.

Resetting the market would be 16m a season (it'd actually be 15, but with Eddie Jackson at 14.6, I'd imagine that he'd want to put that a good distance in the rear view mirror). So 5 / 80 / 44 would be somewhere around my expectation. 

5 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

you'd think the Jets would be pouncing on a Brady-less AFCE. Pay the man for god's sake.

He’s under contract for 2 more years. This whining from the Jamal camp is pretty uncommon this far out.

Mahomes if anything is the only guy from that draft class that should be pushing for an early extension. Here are other all pros from his draft class that aren’t complaining Watt, Garrett, Humphrey, and White. Jamal is just being a bit much at the moment.

He apparently has the same agent as Dak. 

Edited by SDotNova

9 hours ago, Kirill said:

I know this, Tyran Mathieu at 14M a year for 3 years in his absolute prime was a steal of a contract. Pair that with pro bowl caliber safety from day one Juan Thornhill on his rookie deal, that is how you get things done.

Of your 1,176 posts, does every single one consist of you chest-bumping yourself over what the Chiefs have done to earn 1 Super Bowl or am I just happening across all of the right content? It's nauseating. 

As for Adams, he seems like the kind of guy who transcends his production on the field. He's an ideal locker room guy and building block for a team. That's the kind of guy you hand a lucrative 2nd contract to and set as an example for the younger guys yearning for the same. 

• Like 12

15 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Barely made it out alive of the Jets forum with some not too pleased with me suggesting a trade may be possible. Left this in there when they drafted Ashtyn Davis and I'll just leave this here too with possible new trade rumors.

giphy.gif

The thing about that is, Davis is not even close to the type of safety that Adams is. Davis is a center fielder, bascially what Maye does. So the rumor is that Maye would be on the outs vs Adams who is a different position. 

The Jets don't want to trade Adams and want to sign him long term, the issue is coronavirus and also the Jets have Adams for 3 more years on contract. Its rare players get huge contracts when teams have you for that long, the Jets aren't in as of a rush that Adams is in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This would suck.

Gary Meyers is one of the last guys I'd listen to in a story breaking out. We have a lot of hacks in NY that throw things out there with no substance, hes one.  Manish as you all saw with the Logan Ryan signed with the Jets story is another.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

you'd think the Jets would be pouncing on a Brady-less AFCE. Pay the man for god's sake.

From all the credible reporters, the Jets want to and have no interest in trading right now. The Issue is its not going as fast as Adams wants. Teams aren't thrilled to throw out huge money when this coronavirus is making fiances more unpredictable.  Jets have Adams on contract for 2 more years and then a franchise tag would happen if it came to it.   We don't even have a replacement for him on the roster. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Ngakoue for Adams.

Makes sense for both teams imo 

No way. It will never happen. Jamal Adams loves the Jets and would never leave. Plus, even if they did trade him, they would at least get 4 1st round draft picks and a player. 

-Jets fans 3 months ago

• Like 2

The Jets have every ounce of leverage... If Douglas was going pull the trigger I'd assume (Wishful thinking?) he would've before the draft - Any deal would likely have to include a player in return, otherwise why not wait? Douglas doesn't seem like a guy who's going to succumb to pressure all of a sudden.

Reeks of a desperate agent trying to force an agenda by keeping the story alive.