The Jets and Jamal Adams

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Here's OTC with an article on pros and cons of trading Adams. He'll fetch more in 2020 than next year because of his rookie deal $$
One comment is that he's more valuable to a winning team than to the J-E-T-S as currently constructed.
A top end Safety doesn't move the needle as much for a 6-10 team as they do a 10 - 6 team

https://overthecap.com/thoughts-on-the-concept-of-trading-jamal-adams/

...being the best player on a bad team sometimes doesn’t carry the same value as the same player on a good team. Since Adams arrived in New York the Jets are 16-32.  His being the best safety has made little impact on the overall success or failure of the team. That isn’t a knock on him its just that there is only so much a safety can do to increase the chances of winning for a team. Adams being at the peak of his career isn’t going to make the Jets a 10 win team. It is also one of the reasons why the league values safety on the lower end of the salary spectrum, basically on par with running backs and tight ends.

That said to a good team that considers themselves a Super Bowl contender whatever added value that safety brings can be worth a lot because getting from 11 to 12 or 12 to 13 wins on a year is huge as is getting that one added win in the playoffs. While Adams isn’t going to make a bad team great or even good he can be considered a game changer in a different kind of situation. If that is something the Jets can exploit it can bring more value than the player himself. "

I get it... But, holding Adam's accountable for the teams overall success is rather meaningless when you consider how bad the offense has been. I think the obvious way to analyze his impact would be to measure the Jets success defensively:

Last season the Jets finished with the #10 defense (DOVA).  When you look at how bad our CB/EDGE/LB (Injuries) groups were collectively, we had no business being ranked that high - It really puts Adam's value into perspective. He wasn't simply our best player, he was, at times, our best CB, EDGE, LB and S... So, where the article says "There is only so much a safety can do" ... To the contrary, Adam's just proved he's capable of carrying a defense to a top 10 finish.

How many players (Defensively) can say the same? His value is grossly misinterpreted in the article IMO.

Edited by NJC33
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

You said very few teams did it. Just wanted to point out that many teams in fact are willing, for the right players. A team like...the Jets. Does it mean all elite players get extended AFTER year 3? No, of course not. But saying very few teams do it, isn’t correct.

How good those other players were/are shouldn’t be relevant if Adams is the player that Jets fans say he is (top 5-10 defensive player in the league, Ed Reed/Troy P type trajectory). 

You are changing what I said now to fit your narrative.  I never said most teams I said most players.  Sure you can probably find that most teams over the history of the league have signed a guy after 3 seasons.  Reaching back 4 GMs ago about the Jets signing Revis does not mean they do that for most of their players.

Not does any other team like I said.  Again most players don't get extensions after 3 seasons.  Not sure why you keep arguing that when it's pretty obviously an accurate statement.

34 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

When you decided to quote me and join the conversation I was having with another Jets poster, it applied to you as well. By by all means

https://images.app.goo.gl/kdJmWRVAKY2YHg7d7

I see you went back to find me comparing Adams to Reed and Troy and couldn't find it.  Good try though.  Top 5 may be a stretch but I don't see anything crazy about thinking he could be in the top 10.  Nothing crazy about that statement at all.  Don't need Kool aid for that. 

I knew the Troy/Reed comparison wouldn't sit well - People hate the idea of "disrespecting" legendary players with such comparisons (Often times they're right).

The reality is, most people haven't given Adam's the attention because he plays for the Jets. For example, people who try and act objectively by claiming he took a huge leap in coverage last season. In actuality, that leap came in year 2 when he finished with the seconded highest coverage grade among safety's (PFF). Last season, he uplifted/transcended a rather underwhelming (Riddled with injuries) Jets defensive to become a top 10 group (DOVA). As the accolades pile on, more people will take notice.

Bottom line: Other GENERATIONAL players will join the discussion with Troy/Reed, history tells us it's inevitable. Adam's, a 2x All-pro is only 24 and crazily passionate about the game - Who exactly is a better comparison to project his trajectory? No slight, he's just that good.

Am I drinking "Green colored kool-aid"? Possibly, but you don't see me making other wildly optimistic Jets posts. We can agree to disagree. As always, time will tell. 

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

You are changing what I said now to fit your narrative.  I never said most teams I said most players. .

Well, I mean, that's just false. 

On 5/25/2020 at 7:23 AM, Rockice_8 said:

Again the Jets will likely end up paying Adams next year.  Their cap is in a great position long term and they just want to see how this whole crisis plays out before shelling out money when they don't have too.  Very few teams pay their players in year 3 of a 5 year deal even the great players.  

Would you care to retract that? 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Well, I mean, that's just false. 

Would you care to retract that? 

I stand corrected but my point was the players not the teams.  That's why I listed the total players drafted over that span.

It's not hard over the years to find a GM who will pay guys early.  Mike T did it with the Jets but that's doesn't mean JD will now.  That doesn't mean the Jets will always pay guys ealry.  It makes no sense to discuss it by teams since the people running the teams all have different approaches.  The point was the players don't get paid early.  Most players don't get signed in year 3, it's typically after year 4.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

You are changing what I said now to fit your narrative.  I never said most teams I said most players.  

Nope. Here is what you said.

Very few teams pay their players in year 3 of a 5 year deal even the great players.  

Many teams are in fact willing to pay their players after the third year (which is an important distinction, Adams isn’t “in” year 3).

EDIT: Just saw your post to Forge. Yeah, it’s not the common thing to do, even for the elite players - guys like Von Miller, AJ Green, OBJ, etc. all waited the extra year for the big deal. So it’s not across the board. But my point in pushing you on that comment was to highlight that teams are absolutely willing to do it. I think if a team has an elite player and is thinking about extending them early, it usually has more to do with cap space/team structure than it does anything else. The Jets are set to have a good-but-not-great amount of space next season, with not many safeties looking to break the market, so I can see why they want to wait. But Adams is going to crash the ceiling on the safety market whether it’s now or later, so I’d be pushing right now for $16M-$18M.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Why would you consider the total FRPs drafted over that span when only a fraction of them are worth resigning early?

I think the point is to illustrate Jamal's demands go against the "norm" - Even worthy players of his caliber have to wait, far more often than not. 

Jamal's camp forcing the narrative could be an indication he wants out or simply reflect a sense of entitlement or maybe it's being overblown entirely (Seems unlikely). Regardless, he's a year early to be threatening a hold-out and Douglas shouldn't/won't feel obligated to oblige.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Why would you consider the total FRPs drafted over that span when only a fraction of them are worth resigning early?

Each draft has a probably 5 or 6 that do though and my point is that very few of them get extended in year 3.

All you have to do is look at Adams draft class.  There are a handful of guys worthy of getting an extension yet not a peep from them and their team isn't rushing to extend them either.

Looking back at when teams paid these 3rd year players is pretty irrelevant. We are in the midst of an unprecedented situation with cap uncertainty. It’d be one thing if the rest of the great players from his class were getting paid but that’s not happening. 

The Jets are 100% right on this. 

• Like 1

The Jets making the good faith argument to Jamal Adams makes zero sense. They're not an organization like say the Ravens that consistently shifts out great talent in the draft nor are they consistently winning franchise in the mold of the Patriots where you can at least convince him that they're part of winning culture and that means sacrifice. There's actually no one on the coaching staff or front office that can say that.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Looking back at when teams paid these 3rd year players is pretty irrelevant. We are in the midst of an unprecedented situation with cap uncertainty. It’d be one thing if the rest of the great players from his class were getting paid but that’s not happening. 

The Jets are 100% right on this. 

That's an interesting point actually. Other notable players from the '17 draft class haven't signed long-term deals yet either: Mahomes, Watson, Godwin, Watt, Garrett, Lattimore, Golladay, Kittle, etc. 

Only one i can think of is McCaffrey. 

OTOH...Adams is the only star from the '17 draft class i've read rumors about being traded, and they've persisted for a while 

Edited by 49ersfan

8 minutes ago, Vee-Rex said:

I almost want Jamal Adams to be traded JUST to see the 180 degree turn by Jets fans in this thread. Especially if he said something negative about the team following the trade.

I think Jet fans are in agreement on two things: 1) Jamal's a GREAT player 2) He's completely in the wrong with this stance

A trade isn't going to change that and would likely be accompanied by choice words to suggest he didn't force his way out. Honestly, a lot of fans are fed up with his antics - Thinking he's a great player has nothing to do with how fans view him personally.