#5 best FB in Juice Check

#1 Interior defender in Defo

On the flip side (1 being worst, 5 best the "best" of the worst):

#3 worst running back in Carlos Hyde

#1 worst center in Kilgore

#2 worst tight end in Kittle. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

3rd worst RB L-O-L

Not surprised about DeFo, and definitely not surprised about Kilgore. 

I said the same thing about Hyde in the NFL Gen thread about this - legitimately have no clue what they are grading if that is the case. He's been great this year and really even increased his role to more than he's done in the past. 

Kilgore definitely not surprising, and truthfully not all that shocked about Kittle right now either. He's had a couple of drops, a couple of whiffed blocks...it'll get better, but not a great start. But that's okay. 

50 minutes ago, Forge said:

I said the same thing about Hyde in the NFL Gen thread about this - legitimately have no clue what they are grading if that is the case. He's been great this year and really even increased his role to more than he's done in the past. 

Kilgore definitely not surprising, and truthfully not all that shocked about Kittle right now either. He's had a couple of drops, a couple of whiffed blocks...it'll get better, but not a great start. But that's okay. 

I heard on a podcast someone from PFF justify Hyde's grade. Basically saying that he's Barry Sanders with a lot of 0 and 1 yard gains then a handful of 12-15 yard gains. But I call BS, Hyde has been excellent in basically all facets. 

Kilgore is really disappointing, he should just never play football again and go collect his NFL pension somewhere in the Appalachian mountains. Zuttah must have slept with someones lady I dont get how he was released in favor of Kilgore. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Through 4 weeks, PFF has us grade positively on the following: 

#3 best tackle in Trent Brown

#5 best FB in Juice Check

#1 Interior defender in Defo

On the flip side (1 being worst, 5 best the "best" of the worst):

#3 worst running back in Carlos Hyde

#1 worst center in Kilgore

#2 worst tight end in Kittle. 

There's no way that Hyde is the 3rd worst RB in the league.  Fusco should also be somewhere near that bottom 5 group of Gs.

55 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I heard on a podcast someone from PFF justify Hyde's grade. Basically saying that he's Barry Sanders with a lot of 0 and 1 yard gains then a handful of 12-15 yard gains. But I call BS, Hyde has been excellent in basically all facets. 

Kilgore is really disappointing, he should just never play football again and go collect his NFL pension somewhere in the Appalachian mountains. Zuttah must have slept with someones lady I dont get how he was released in favor of Kilgore. 

Hyde is the 6th leading rusher in the league and every guy ahead of him has more carries. He's also got one of the best yards per attempt averages in the league.  No amount of discounting for 0 and 1 yard carries can move a guy with those kind of numbers down to one of the worst in the league.  Not to mention, he's doing all that behind what they consider the worst center in the league, one guard who was so bad he's already been benched, and the current pair of guards have to be down near the worst pair of starting guards in the league.  Plus his QB is playing badly and so he has no passing game to help the running game. Time for PFF to stop justifying this nonsense and realize there's something wrong with their algorithm.

6 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Hyde is the 6th leading rusher in the league and every guy ahead of him has more carries. He's also got one of the best yards per attempt averages in the league.  No amount of discounting for 0 and 1 yard carries can move a guy with those kind of numbers down to one of the worst in the league.  Not to mention, he's doing all that behind what they consider the worst center in the league, one guard who was so bad he's already been benched, and the current pair of guards have to be down near the worst pair of starting guards in the league.  Plus his QB is playing badly and so he has no passing game to help the running game. Time for PFF to stop justifying this nonsense and realize there's something wrong with their algorithm.

I'm with you all the way here, they are flat out wrong on Hydes season thus far. PFF is pretty solid overall, they're only getting bigger. But there needs to be some type of adjustments to the way they grade out RB's. 

Trent Brown is making a lot of money off of PFF. The linemen on both sides are who benefit/suffer the most. 

16 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I'm with you all the way here, they are flat out wrong on Hydes season thus far. PFF is pretty solid overall, they're only getting bigger. But there needs to be some type of adjustments to the way they grade out RB's. 

Trent Brown is making a lot of money off of PFF. The linemen on both sides are who benefit/suffer the most. 

I would agree with this. There's no other metric that really measures offensive linemen individually so far as I know. I mean, penalties and tape is pretty much it. FO does the lines as a whole, I Think, but not the individual players. You can't really use pro bowls / all pro teams to be honest, just because they often turn into the a popularity contest or the "name I know". That's why formerly great offensive linemen are still all pro's years after their prime has ended and they are no longer the absolute best at what they do. 

Brown was going to make money regardless of PFF. He's actually graded subpar from PFF the last two years. He was getting hype long before he became PFF highest graded tackle. I mean you had Miller calling him the best RT in the game after he had like two starts LOL.

PFF is flawed for sure, but I like the stats they provide. Showing Brown hasn't allowed a pressure in two games is more useful than saying he has a 87.5 grade or something. But overall, most grades usually match the eye test. Some exceptions though, like Hyde's low grade. 

50 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

There's no way that Hyde is the 3rd worst RB in the league.  Fusco should also be somewhere near that bottom 5 group of Gs.

Fusco is surprisingly ranked as the 18th best OG, which has me confused. FWIW, Tomlinson is ranked 64th and Beadles, although he technically doesn't qualify since he hasn't played enough snaps, is ranked dead last. Dead last not only at guard, but irregardless of position. Worst player in the league, by far. And although I do not know definitively, I believe he has the lowest grade in PFF history. And he gets paid over $3.8M this year and almost $600K next year (assuming he is waived).

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

Many of Hyde's 0 and 1 yarders are runs that could easily have been -2 yarders. He's had to fight for a lot of his yards. He has been very good, behind a politely average OL in run blocking.

8 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Many of Hyde's 0 and 1 yarders are runs that could easily have been -2 yarders. He's had to fight for a lot of his yards. He has been very good, behind a politely average OL in run blocking.

Weirdly, FO has us as one of the best run blocking offensive lines in football (#7) overall. They do show us to be rather pedestrian in runs up the middle / off guard (#21) which would fall in line with how we feel about Fusco / Beadles / Tomlinson / Kilgore, and we are particularly bad off the right end (#27), though this is somewhat funny because off right tackle, we've had the most success in the league. 

14 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I think of those 4 Tomlinson is easily the best, his valuatiation for me is not much different than a rookie. He had a good game against Seattle. We can afford him more time before we lump him with Kilgore and Beadles. 

I think Tomlinson definitely has the best skillset out of those, and I think that there is some good there, which is more than can be said for the others. I don't know that Tomlinson is ever more than JAG, but honestly, that's not the worst thing ever. If he can be pretty good in one facet, I'll accept him being poor in the other for the time being. 

Archived